Who are your favorite artists?

Seems very popular, everytime someone mentions an artist I go look at the work for a bit. I appreciate that his work looks a little bit like my eyes are out of focus, as if I am watching from a great distance, it's very soft.

Elena Madden

I am not an art person, but her work catches my attention and makes me want to actually purchase a piece.

Ansel Adams - for those that may not know, he's a photographer.
I believe that good photography is also art
Old time black and white photographer, and amazing force for the creation and expansion of our national park system. I have a big Ansel Adams print of Half Dome (Yosemite NP) on my office wall.

On another office wall, I have a Walter Marks picture. Walter was a good friend of ours, and a photographer for Miami-Dade County for 40+ years. The picture I have is of a Chalks seaplane (an old PBY) landing on Government Cut a little after sunrise with 7 cruise ships in port next to the landing area. Incredible picture.

More currently, one of our faves is another local hero -- Romero Brito.

Thomas Kinkade disney
Wyland
Eyvind Earle for Sleeping Beauty alone
Thomas Kinkade's work is so beautiful, comfy and pretty. Always makes me feel like I want to be there.
Wyland's ocean work is always a pleasure, those sharp colors are gorgeous and the Manatees are my favorite subject.
Eyvind Earle, I agree, the concept artwork is amazing.

My Mom back when she painted. I have many many of her pictures hanging including a pirate one she painted in 1954......the year I was born. No wonder I fell in love with POTC. :love:
each of my siblings have a oil painting from my grandmother, oil on plywood of Idaho nature scenes....she could have had a career or perhaps better word, social exposure experince

Georgia O'keefe...several reasons

*andy warhol had a one on one discussion with me about her artwork in the Whitney Museum of American art 1984
* her art is how I see my SW border garden influencing folks today
* all those decades of her artwork in high school literature anthology textbooks.....I had no idea.

Ahhh Dali, such talent and such madness mingled with brilliance so, of course, I love his work. One of my favorites is The Persistence of Memory, I had it on a watch when I was in college, it was one of very few indulgences .
I had that one on my wall upstairs until recently. We renovated a room and now I have no idea where it went. Lol.

who ever painted the dogs paying poker pic, is my favorite :teeth:
grant wood....nothing is more american than dogs playing poker

American Gothic
A painting of a man and woman with stern expessions standing side-by-side in front of a white house. The man holds a pitch fork.
d in the collection of the Art Institute of Chicago. Wood was inspired to paint what is now known as the American Gothic House in Eldon, Iowa, along with "the kind of people [he] fancied should live in that house". It depicts a farmer standing beside his daughter – often mistakenly assumed to be his wife.[1][2] The painting is named for the house's architectural style.

The figures were modeled by Wood's sister Nan Wood Graham and their dentist Dr. Byron McKeeby. The woman is dressed in a colonial print apron evoking 20th-century rural Americana while the man is adorned in overalls covered by a suit jacket and carries a pitchfork. The plants on the porch of the house are mother-in-law's tongue and beefsteak begonia, which also appear in Wood's 1929 portrait of his mother, Woman with Plants.[3]

American Gothic is one of the most familiar images of 20th-century American art and has been widely parodied in American popular culture

Georgia O'keefe...several reasons

*andy warhol had a one on one discussion with me about her artwork in the Whitney Museum of American art 1984
* her art is how I see my SW border garden influencing folks today
* all those decades of her artwork in high school literature anthology textbooks.....I had no idea.
I was just coming back to add Georgia O'Keeffe, the flowers.

Edward Hopper. Most famous, I think, for Nighthawks, but I like a lot of his seascapes and scenes of American life.

My favorite painting is by Joaquin Sorolla y Bastida:
1610165645746.png

What a great thread!

Edward Hopper. Most famous, I think, for Nighthawks, but I like a lot of his seascapes and scenes of American life.

My favorite painting is by Joaquin Sorolla y Bastida:
View attachment 548936

What a great thread!
nighthawks.....very thoughy provoking....in many high school literature anthologies ....another 20 years they will be asking about the re-mix of nighthawks...who are those people?

Rembrandt
Degas
Paul Fredrich Meyerheim (A Lion)
John Singer Sargeant
Jeremy Lipking
Disney - Brett Owens

Rembrandt, of course, his use of negative space is outstanding.
Degas, the dancers are gorgeous in all their delicate grace.
Paul Fredrich Meyerheim (A Lion), never saw this before but it's beautiful yet painfully sad to see the animals in cages :(
John Singer Sargeant, gorgeous portraits that capture a unique flash of personality in the subjects.
Jeremy Lipking seems to go out of his cay to capture a deep sadness in his subjects.
Disney - Brett Owens, the work is beautiful with vibrant colors, such a elegant style.

Monet. I had a Monet inspired bedroom from jr high until I graduated.
Degas I LOVE his Ballet paintings
Mary Blair
Disney - Brett Owens
my grandpa. He wasn't famous, but I have a couple of his paintings hanging in my house.
:lovestruc
Awww, that's nice. I have family members artwork everywhere too, but sadly, I have no discernible talent, my pencils just dont do what theirs do LOL.

Degas, he really paints these women with so much grace and admiration.
Mary Blair, I do love her stylized blocks of color, can spot it anywhere.
Disney - Brett Owens, sharp and a very cool use of lines to bestow emotion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter