Who are your favorite artists?

Sorry I skipped this, I saw it when I circled back.
LOVE street art and muralists! The piece with the Kool boxes wrapped up in the hair is amazing, love it.

John Singleton Copley, well I love the square but never stopped to consider it's namesake - live and learn. The work you mention is extraordinary for the range of emotions it captures, just wow, I will need to go to see it as soon as I can safely make my way, thanks :)

I think it touches me because it’s an actual reenactment of an actual event

Leonid Afremov. Especially is landscapes. I love his use of bold colors to make modern impressionism & pointillism. Sadly, he died a couple years ago.

Also, Matisse's cutouts. They were created toward the end of his life when he was wheelchair bound and his hands had such arthritis (or something) that he could no longer hold a paintbrush. But, he found he could hold children's scissors. So with the help of a couple studio assistants who would place, move around and attach the cutouts, he was still able to make art. The end results are so joyful. They show how no matter what was going on in his body, he was still joyful he could make art. The art in him just could not be stilled.

Same with Monet, who also had cataract eye problems at the end of his life, and they may have influence his "blurry" impressionistic works later in life.

Although, to be clear, I don't like their works because they had illnesses.
Almost missed this one too.

Leonid Afremov, this is really beautiful. I love love love his use of the gold in streetlights, it reminds me of why I adore looking into a city at night.
Matisse, I prefer the cutouts to the paintings but didn't know anything about the fact he struggled with physical limitations. To me this makes his effort even more appealing, how beautiful to think his desire to communicate in this way drove him to such lengths.

Monet, didn't know about his eye issues either, I enjoy art because it transports me but never studied artists in any formal way. Amazing that so much can be done while trying to overcome a struggle, this is beautiful too.

I love the details on the fabric in the Lady of Shalott. He used the same model for much of his work.
It's lovely, the fabrics are expressed beautifully but her face is so pained with despair I find myself averting my eyes like I'm intruding on grief, that demands masterful skill.

Edward Hopper. Most famous, I think, for Nighthawks, but I like a lot of his seascapes and scenes of American life.

My favorite painting is by Joaquin Sorolla y Bastida:
View attachment 548936

What a great thread!
Edward Hopper, interesting to look at, you can be happy alone or unhappy alone, this poor artist's needle is buried in discomfort. On the other hand, the sailboats are solitary but definitely lighter. I hope he ended up in a house by the ocean.

Joaquin Sorolla y Bastida, the Italian girl with Flowers is lovely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!