Who are your favorite artists?

Some guy named "Walt" he really started something special... With a Mouse named " Mickey"

Dale Chihuly - amazing work, Botanical Garden in NYC, just amazing...

Claude Monet - amazing work, Next trip to France we are planning a trip to Giverny... you can get lost in his work, it really pulls you in

Ansel Adams - his photography takes you there... at just the moment...
I want to go to Giverny, too. The photos I've seen from my friends are as if you've stepped into a Monet painting.

Monet is really the only artist I would call a favorite artist. The Rafael rooms of the Apostolic Palace are far and away the most beautiful art I've ever personally seen and that includes the also impressive Sistine Chapel.

I really enjoy art museums and seeing different art. When we aren't in a pandemic I try to see the rotating exhibits at our local museum but I can't say I have any stand out favorite artists outside of Monet. I don't like anything "interpretive". If you pour a pile of sugar on the floor and tell me it represents anything other than a pile of sugar I just don't care.

Van Gogh, Renoir, and Monet.
All are capable of such beautiful work.

Van Gogh swims in a pool I generally try to avoid, however, when I look at his work Peace I can see how much he cherishes a sense of calm.
Renoir, I love those moments he likes to capture and feel his focus is essence of the moment, it's always so. full of a certain something.
Monet, sort of captures scenes as if that are in the viewers periphery or if the viewer is walking by the subjects very fast where you see them but don't see them. I wonder if this lends itself to a philosophical movement about self vs nonself, not sure of the undercurrent but it's curious.

Both are very talented

I got my introduction to Escher when I was in high school in the mid 70's. A group of friends went to lower Manhattan to a gallery that had an Escher show going on. DH and I also loved going to the MET pre-pandemic where there is so much great art. We also had the privilege to travel to London and Paris where the art was superb. I wish more people had the chance to experience and appreciate fine art. It's really hard to pick favorites but these two stood out to me.

Some guy named "Walt" he really started something special... With a Mouse named " Mickey"

Dale Chihuly - amazing work, Botanical Garden in NYC, just amazing...

Claude Monet - amazing work, Next trip to France we are planning a trip to Giverny... you can get lost in his work, it really pulls you in

Ansel Adams - his photography takes you there... at just the moment...

Yeah, I like that guy Walt's work too ;)
Dale Chihuly, the work at the NYBG is amazing, I especially like the sculptures in the water. The colors are extraordinary.
Claude Monet, everytime someone lists an artist I go look at the work & this artist is always a calming pleasure.
Ansel Adams, a classic.

Monet is really the only artist I would call a favorite artist. The Rafael rooms of the Apostolic Palace are far and away the most beautiful art I've ever personally seen and that includes the also impressive Sistine Chapel. I really enjoy art museums and seeing different art. When we aren't in a pandemic I try to see the rotating exhibits at our local museum but I can't say I have any stand out favorite artists outside of Monet. I don't like anything "interpretive". If you pour a pile of sugar on the floor and tell me it represents anything other than a pile of sugar I just don't care.

I generally agree with you (bolded) but one piece at the MET stood out to me. It was a piece by Gonzalez-Torres that was comprised of a pile of hard candy in a corner. Visitors were invited to take a piece and it was periodically replenished. If you didn't read the plaque you wouldn't understand what it was all about. The plaque explained that it starts at about 175 pounds of candy, roughly the weight of the artist's lover when healthy. The diminishing pile of candy represents him wasting away after he contracted HIV/AIDS. It definitely makes a statement once you know the story behind it. Here's a link for anyone who wants to see the piece.

https://www.wmagazine.com/story/felix-gonzalez-torres-candy-the-met-breuer/

I got my introduction to Escher when I was in high school in the mid 70's. A group of friends went to lower Manhattan to a gallery that had an Escher show going on. DH and I also loved going to the MET pre-pandemic where there is so much great art. We also had the privilege to travel to London and Paris where the art was superb. I wish more people had the chance to experience and appreciate fine art. It's really hard to pick favorites but these two stood out to me.
When I lived in NYC I would go to the museums and AMNH as often as I could but when I moved to the suburbs I realized focus appears to be more on special interest history and local immortalization of certain industries, not really my thing but I went as a parent chaperone. Seems in the burbs the school trip dollars which float museums stay local, and since the great collections never make it too far outside of the big cities there is a serious lack of exposure for a majority. I agree with you, it's a shame that access is so limited. It's wonderful that you have had the opportunity to travel to the art :)

Monet is really the only artist I would call a favorite artist. The Rafael rooms of the Apostolic Palace are far and away the most beautiful art I've ever personally seen and that includes the also impressive Sistine Chapel.

I really enjoy art museums and seeing different art. When we aren't in a pandemic I try to see the rotating exhibits at our local museum but I can't say I have any stand out favorite artists outside of Monet. I don't like anything "interpretive". If you pour a pile of sugar on the floor and tell me it represents anything other than a pile of sugar I just don't care.

I get it, there is a certain comfort in up-front artwork that occupies the same space as a beautiful bouquet on your table. My space always has flowers so I get the want of plain aesthetics that require no divination. However, since I'm me I also seek out the things that call out for thoughtful contemplation, some artwork is like visual poetry and understand that draw too :)

I generally agree with you (bolded) but one piece at the MET stood out to me. It was a piece by Gonzalez-Torres that was comprised of a pile of hard candy in a corner. Visitors were invited to take a piece and it was periodically replenished. If you didn't read the plaque you wouldn't understand what it was all about. The plaque explained that it starts at about 175 pounds of candy, roughly the weight of the artist's lover when healthy. The diminishing pile of candy represents him wasting away after he contracted HIV/AIDS. It definitely makes a statement once you know the story behind it. Here's a link for anyone who wants to see the piece.

https://www.wmagazine.com/story/felix-gonzalez-torres-candy-the-met-breuer/
This is so powerful, sort of slides into the world of performance art, maybe? Has no meaning if participants don't draw down on it and the work gains substantiation over time. What a stroke of genius, it's sad but brilliant.

My favorite is Duane Hanson, when I was in High School the large collection of his work was on special exhibition at the Ft Lauderdale art museum. The realism in his sculptures of people were amazing I could look at them all day and still not see all the details. One of his works of a “tourist” is on display in the baggage claim area of one of the terminals at FLL airport.

http://www.artnet.com/artists/duane-hanson/

Yeah, I like that guy Walt's work too ;)
Dale Chihuly, the work at the NYBG is amazing, I especially like the sculptures in the water. The colors are extraordinary.
Claude Monet, everytime someone lists an artist I go look at the work & this artist is always a calming pleasure.
Ansel Adams, a classic.

yes the Chihuly showing at the NYBG is amazing. We loved the going into what I would call a green house, and they made some of the area seem like fairies were just out of sight... One of our favorites, I had to lookup the name was Red Reeds... We ended up spending most of the afternoon and into the evening when the Chihuly Nights were there, just amazing, and totally worth a whole day, and the Uber ride back to the hotel, it wasn't cheap, total worth the experience...

So looking forward to hopefully international travel to start up next year and for us to be heading back to the City of Lights, and more sight seeing, in the French Country side...

My favorite is Duane Hanson, when I was in High School the large collection of his work was on special exhibition at the Ft Lauderdale art museum. The realism in his sculptures of people were amazing I could look at them all day and still not see all the details. One of his works of a “tourist” is on display in the baggage claim area of one of the terminals at FLL airport.

http://www.artnet.com/artists/duane-hanson/
Link didn't work so I just did a google search. Shame that I can't really see the details, sculpture is one of those things that connects better when you can either move around it or handle it. SO nice that you had an opportunity to experience the artists work while you were in school.

No smiles to be found, it's sad to think this is the world he sees.

yes the Chihuly showing at the NYBG is amazing. We loved the going into what I would call a green house, and they made some of the area seem like fairies were just out of sight... One of our favorites, I had to lookup the name was Red Reeds... We ended up spending most of the afternoon and into the evening when the Chihuly Nights were there, just amazing, and totally worth a whole day, and the Uber ride back to the hotel, it wasn't cheap, total worth the experience...

So looking forward to hopefully international travel to start up next year and for us to be heading back to the City of Lights, and more sight seeing, in the French Country side...
I'm with you! There is a whole lot of the world I want to see, I hope it's safe in the next year or two.

For all you Chihuly fans out there if you ever make your way to Seattle you need to go to his museum and gardens its right next to the space needle so you can hit two destinations in one spot. All the glass is exhibited so beautifully just when you think you have found your favorite beautiful piece you go into the next and its even more magnificent. I highly recommend a visit.

I was gonna say Big Freedia, different kind of artist

Favorite painter John Singleton Copley. My favorite painting Watson and the shock hanging in the Museum of fine arts in Boston also in the Washington national Gallery
Sorry I skipped this, I saw it when I circled back.
LOVE street art and muralists! The piece with the Kool boxes wrapped up in the hair is amazing, love it.

John Singleton Copley, well I love the square but never stopped to consider it's namesake - live and learn. The work you mention is extraordinary for the range of emotions it captures, just wow, I will need to go to see it as soon as I can safely make my way, thanks :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter