Who are your favorite artists?

Well, there are so many, but I'll keep it Disney:

Eyvind Earle
Mary Blair
Peter Ellenshaw
Harper Goff
Jack Kirby (since Marvel is now Disney)

Oh, and this guy named Walt.... 😊
Admittedly, I never took a particularly deep look at Disney artists, which is a shame because I love the results. Then again, it wasn't all that accessible until the internet opened things up.

Eyvind Earle, wow that Sleeping Beauty concept painting is something else, the style for the trees is breathtaking.
Mary Blair, love her distinctive block style. I never looked at her work before, but without knowing it separately I knew immediately that my much loved It's a Small World is all her.
Peter Ellenshaw, I really like his use of perspective and the soft colors which make things sort of dreamy.
Harper Goff, another distinctive use of perspective. He has a way of pulling the viewer into the center of the work by either controlling clarity or using arches that sort of hug the image, it's very engaging.
Jack Kirby, grew up with comic books & the visually loud splashes of color. Such talent to get so much into such a small space, never gets old.

Walt, yep, love that guy's work too.

Bruce Nauman. I saw his retrospective at the Walker Art Center in Minneapolis back in the mid 1990s. It was stunning.
That's a lot of neon, a lot of anger and quite a dose of clowns so if he was looking to provoke feelings of disconnect he nailed it. Definitely not at ease with himself or the world.

That's a lot of neon, a lot of anger and quite a dose of clowns so if he was looking to provoke feelings of disconnect he nailed it. Definitely not at ease with himself or the world.

Seems like the most interesting people often are not at ease with themselves. I often hear that the border between madness and genius is often very fuzzy and is measured by sucess.

Admittedly, I never took a particularly deep look at Disney artists, which is a shame because I love the results. Then again, it wasn't all that accessible until the internet opened things up.

Eyvind Earle, wow that Sleeping Beauty concept painting is something else, the style for the trees is breathtaking.
Mary Blair, love her distinctive block style. I never looked at her work before, but without knowing it separately I knew immediately that my much loved It's a Small World is all her.
Peter Ellenshaw, I really like his use of perspective and the soft colors which make things sort of dreamy.
Harper Goff, another distinctive use of perspective. He has a way of pulling the viewer into the center of the work by either controlling clarity or using arches that sort of hug the image, it's very engaging.
Jack Kirby, grew up with comic books & the visually loud splashes of color. Such talent to get so much into such a small space, never gets old.

Walt, yep, love that guy's work too.

I learned about Eyvind Earle from one of the special features on the Sleeping Beauty Bluray disc. Sleeping Beauty has always been a favorite of mine, but I never knew exactly WHY until I learned about Eyvind's work. He lends something very special to the overall production that is a little different than the other Disney classics. He's not one of the big names, but he should be.

Monet. I had a Monet inspired bedroom from jr high until I graduated.
Degas I LOVE his Ballet paintings
Mary Blair
Thomas Kinkade
my grandpa. He wasn't famous, but I have a couple of his paintings hanging in my house.
:lovestruc

My DD is my favorite artist. I have several of her paintings in my house.

Aside from her, I love Seurat and Hans Holbein, both the Elder and Younger.

As I sit and think about it, then only artwork that has ever made me cry was Michelangelo's Pieta in St. Peter's Basilica. Looking at that magnificent work, all I could think of was my own children. It could be any mother holding her child in her arms like that. His David made me just stand and stare in awe, so I guess he is also at the top of my list.

Leonid Afremov. Especially is landscapes. I love his use of bold colors to make modern impressionism & pointillism. Sadly, he died a couple years ago.

Also, Matisse's cutouts. They were created toward the end of his life when he was wheelchair bound and his hands had such arthritis (or something) that he could no longer hold a paintbrush. But, he found he could hold children's scissors. So with the help of a couple studio assistants who would place, move around and attach the cutouts, he was still able to make art. The end results are so joyful. They show how no matter what was going on in his body, he was still joyful he could make art. The art in him just could not be stilled.

Same with Monet, who also had cataract eye problems at the end of his life, and they may have influence his "blurry" impressionistic works later in life.

Although, to be clear, I don't like their works because they had illnesses.

Van Gogh and Monet
Van Gogh, artful but always very heavy footed, immovable and devoid of emotion, always makes me sad, I think it's. the monotone and heavy strokes.
Monet usually strikes me as a bit wistful, I like the work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter