• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

White River Junction or Quechee, VT this Weekend

tarheelmjfan

Proud Redhead
DH & I will be in the area this coming weekend. I see snow is expected. Any suggestions on where we should stay in either location where we're guaranteed to find someplace open to eat that won't require additional driving? I found a hotel in White Junction that has several close restaurants, but I'm not sure they'll be open. So far, I haven't found any hotels with an attached restaurant, but I'm open to suggestions. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but we're South Floridians who have never been to VT.

ETA: My DH would be charging the room to the company he works for, so he would need to be able to justify the price. In other words, we can't simply choose the most expensive hotel, unless we have a good reason for it.

Last edited:
Boy I'm not sure of any places to stay right in Quechee. It's a beautiful town though! I think there is a place called Fireside Inn in Lebanon, NH which is very close. Again, never stayed there but I believe they have a restaurant.

If you are looking for a hotel with an attached restaurant, that may be harder. You can find places with breakfast included, but will likely need to venture out for dinner -- shouldn't be far, though.

There are a few chains in White River Jct -- Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Comfort Inn and Super 8 Motel. Not sure what hotel you found that you aren't sure is open, but unless the business has closed it would not be "off season" for anything in the area (most ski resorts are still open through this weekend).

Quechee is a quaint little village. You are unlikely to find chain hotels, but there may be B&Bs or independent lodging.

Across the river from White River Jct you might check Lebanon, West Lebanon or Hanover, NH.

And since you are in the area -- this weekend is Maple Open House weekend at many VT sugarhouses. Be sure to stop by for a tour and samples!

DH & I will be in the area this coming weekend. I see snow is expected. Any suggestions on where we should stay in either location where we're guaranteed to find someplace open to eat that won't require additional driving? I found a hotel in White Junction that has several close restaurants, but I'm not sure they'll be open. So far, I haven't found any hotels with an attached restaurant, but I'm open to suggestions. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but we're South Floridians who have never been to VT.

ETA: My DH would be charging the room to the company he works for, so he would need to be able to justify the price. In other words, we can't simply choose the most expensive hotel, unless we have a good reason for it.
White River Jct. has a lot of hotels and restaurants but they are mostly on I-89 exits. There isn't a lot to see in WRJ, nice place but not exactly a tourist capital of the world. Quechee, on the other hand is a place with a lot of things to see and because of the gorge has a tourist attraction or two. I lived in Vermont for 50 years albeit on the West side, but have had occasion to go through or to both a few times and WRJ is more of a place that people drive through getting to Maine. Quechee is it's own destination and not known as a ski resort. I suggest Quechee!

Boy I'm not sure of any places to stay right in Quechee. It's a beautiful town though! I think there is a place called Fireside Inn in Lebanon, NH which is very close. Again, never stayed there but I believe they have a restaurant.
Thanks for the hotel suggestion. I'll check it out.
If you are looking for a hotel with an attached restaurant, that may be harder. You can find places with breakfast included, but will likely need to venture out for dinner -- shouldn't be far, though.

There are a few chains in White River Jct -- Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Comfort Inn and Super 8 Motel. Not sure what hotel you found that you aren't sure is open, but unless the business has closed it would not be "off season" for anything in the area (most ski resorts are still open through this weekend).

Quechee is a quaint little village. You are unlikely to find chain hotels, but there may be B&Bs or independent lodging.

Across the river from White River Jct you might check Lebanon, West Lebanon or Hanover, NH.

And since you are in the area -- this weekend is Maple Open House weekend at many VT sugarhouses. Be sure to stop by for a tour and samples!
Sorry, I wasn't clear. Hotel Coolidge is the hotel that is supposed to have several restaurants very close to it. I'm concerned the restaurants will be closed not the hotel. I'm from the south. Everything closes, when you see a flake of the white stuff. :laughing:

Thanks for the suggestions on towns to look into & letting me know about the Maple Open House. I wish we had more time to visit all the towns you listed. We're looking forward to seeing the area. Unfortunately, we're on a tight schedule this trip. We're leaving from VT to go to a park in ME, which is all we know about that particular park, as if there were only one park in the entire state. :rolleyes1 That's typical for how far in advance we know exactly where we're going, which is why I'm always here begging for last minute advice. :sad2:

ETA: Of the locations you mentioned, which do you think would be best for finding things to do & good places to eat without having prolonged exposure to the cold?
White River Jct. has a lot of hotels and restaurants but they are mostly on I-89 exits. There isn't a lot to see in WRJ, nice place but not exactly a tourist capital of the world. Quechee, on the other hand is a place with a lot of things to see and because of the gorge has a tourist attraction or two. I lived in Vermont for 50 years albeit on the West side, but have had occasion to go through or to both a few times and WRJ is more of a place that people drive through getting to Maine. Quechee is it's own destination and not known as a ski resort. I suggest Quechee!
I'm surprised to see Quechee is the better place of the two to visit. I was assuming (yeah, we know what assuming does) that WRJ was based on the number of hotels there vs. Quechee. Is Quechee a good place to visit, if it's too cold for outdoor activities? We don't have proper clothes for prolonged cold temps.

Last edited:
I'm from the south. Everything closes, when you see a flake of the white stuff. :laughing:
:laughing: Not in these parts!

Quechee is touristy -- quaint, old New England village. Primarily shopping up and down Main Street, like little niche shops, plus dining. You might catch glass blowing at the Simon Pearce factory. There's a Toy Museum outside the village but I've never been. I don't think you'd be venturing to Quechee Gorge in snow without proper outdoor clothing. I expect restaurants would be open unless they normally only serve breakfast/lunch. I'd be surprised if any close for the small amount of snow expected this weekend.

White River Jct is not much of a tourist attraction. It is well-placed at the intersection of I-89 and I-91 as well as the junction of the White River and the Connecticut River (hence the name). I think there are 2-3 small theater companies, I don't know whether they are performing this weekend. The Main Street Museum I've heard described as "quirky" but I've never been; it's run by volunteers so the hours may be iffy. Just north of WRJ the Montshire Museum is an interesting hands-on science museum if you have an inquisitive mind. The King Arthur Baking Company is also nearby; they may have some demonstrations going on, or if you like to bake it's a fun shop.

There are some historical sites in the area but they may not be open for the season yet.

Since you are heading to Maine, you might just cross the river into West Lebanon NH. The Fireside Inn mentioned by PP is right off I-89 and I think it has a restaurant. There are outlet shops in West Leb. Plenty of dining options. Dartmouth College is nearby.

I live in this area. There is a Comfort Inn on Sykes Ave. which is in walking distance to a Chinese buffet, McDonalds, a Subway, a cafe and a chicken place. The Hotel Coolidge is downtown, and there are a couple of "nicer-ish" restaurants within walking distance from there - Tuckerbox and Thyme, and a pizza place called C&S Pizza. There are some other chain hotels at the interchange, but the only restaurant within walking distance of those is a Dunkin Donuts.

There is a Align Inn in Quechee that is within walking distance of Pizza Chef the Public House restaurant.

None of these three hotels are super nice, but if you absolutely need to walk to food, they are your best bet. Door Dash and Grub Hub do not have a huge presence here, and not many restaurants deliver, but there is a Dominoes in West Lebanon, NH which is right across the border.

We are only supposed to get about an inch of snow this weekend, and it will be fairly warm, so whatever falls should melt / get cleaned up fairly quickly. You really should not have any trouble driving and nothing should be closed during regular business hours. If I were you I would not worry at all about being able to find food and I would book a hotel at the interchange and travel into West Lebanon, NH, Lebanon, NH or Hanover, NH to find better restaurant choices.

A word about staying in Quechee, Route 4 from White River Junction to Quechee is not a great road for a southern driver to drive in the winter. It is a really fun place to visit but maybe not this time of year. The gorge bridge sidewalk is not maintained during the winter so I would not go there just for that. If you do decide to stay in Quechee, Simon Pearce has a very very nice restaurant a showroom showcasing its glassware, and downstairs you can watch the glassblowers do their work.

You have gotten a lot of good suggestions on things to do in the area above.

Enjoy your visit!

:laughing: Not in these parts!

Quechee is touristy -- quaint, old New England village. Primarily shopping up and down Main Street, like little niche shops, plus dining. You might catch glass blowing at the Simon Pearce factory. There's a Toy Museum outside the village but I've never been. I don't think you'd be venturing to Quechee Gorge in snow without proper outdoor clothing. I expect restaurants would be open unless they normally only serve breakfast/lunch. I'd be surprised if any close for the small amount of snow expected this weekend.

White River Jct is not much of a tourist attraction. It is well-placed at the intersection of I-89 and I-91 as well as the junction of the White River and the Connecticut River (hence the name). I think there are 2-3 small theater companies, I don't know whether they are performing this weekend. The Main Street Museum I've heard described as "quirky" but I've never been; it's run by volunteers so the hours may be iffy. Just north of WRJ the Montshire Museum is an interesting hands-on science museum if you have an inquisitive mind. The King Arthur Baking Company is also nearby; they may have some demonstrations going on, or if you like to bake it's a fun shop.

There are some historical sites in the area but they may not be open for the season yet.

Since you are heading to Maine, you might just cross the river into West Lebanon NH. The Fireside Inn mentioned by PP is right off I-89 and I think it has a restaurant. There are outlet shops in West Leb. Plenty of dining options. Dartmouth College is nearby.
Thanks again for the excellent info. I'm going to map Fireside Inn to see how close it is to our Quechee/WRJ destination. That sounds like a good choice, if it's not too far.

I live in this area. There is a Comfort Inn on Sykes Ave. which is in walking distance to a Chinese buffet, McDonalds, a Subway, a cafe and a chicken place. The Hotel Coolidge is downtown, and there are a couple of "nicer-ish" restaurants within walking distance from there - Tuckerbox and Thyme, and a pizza place called C&S Pizza. There are some other chain hotels at the interchange, but the only restaurant within walking distance of those is a Dunkin Donuts.

There is a Align Inn in Quechee that is within walking distance of Pizza Chef the Public House restaurant.

None of these three hotels are super nice, but if you absolutely need to walk to food, they are your best bet. Door Dash and Grub Hub do not have a huge presence here, and not many restaurants deliver, but there is a Dominoes in West Lebanon, NH which is right across the border.

We are only supposed to get about an inch of snow this weekend, and it will be fairly warm, so whatever falls should melt / get cleaned up fairly quickly. You really should not have any trouble driving and nothing should be closed during regular business hours. If I were you I would not worry at all about being able to find food and I would book a hotel at the interchange and travel into West Lebanon, NH, Lebanon, NH or Hanover, NH to find better restaurant choices.

A word about staying in Quechee, Route 4 from White River Junction to Quechee is not a great road for a southern driver to drive in the winter. It is a really fun place to visit but maybe not this time of year. The gorge bridge sidewalk is not maintained during the winter so I would not go there just for that. If you do decide to stay in Quechee, Simon Pearce has a very very nice restaurant a showroom showcasing its glassware, and downstairs you can watch the glassblowers do their work.

You have gotten a lot of good suggestions on things to do in the area above.

Enjoy your visit!

Since you obviously know your area well, I'm hoping you know where Quechee Pine Valley KOA is? That's DH's work destination. If so, how far would that be from Fireside Inn? Also, how would the roads be from FI or Hotel Coolidge? How about the roads from Quechee Village? That will play a big factor in where we stay. I'm glad you brought it up.

We prefer non-chain restaurants on the nicer side for dinner. It doesn't need to be fine dining. We don't have the clothes to dress up, but we do look for above average food quality. It sounds like we could find that near Hotel Coolidge or Fireside Inn.

The snow forecast is encouraging. We get our weather info from TWC. They made it appear much worse, which is par for the course with them. It's good to hear what to really expect from a local. We can handle an inch of snow. :p Actually, DH may be disappointed. He was hoping to get there in time to settle into a hotel w/ a drink in hand & watch it snow.

The KOA is right off the highway between White River Junction and Quechee and about five miles all interstate to the Fireside Inn. It would be a very easy drive. The roads should be fine in every direction with the little bit of snow we are expecting, but use your judgement if we are caught off guard with more than is expected or if there is a squall.

West Lebanon, NH, where the Fireside Inn is located, has mostly chain restaurants (Applebees, Chilis, 99) and fast food,, but there is a regional chain called 110 Grill which is nicer (my daughter works there on weekends). For better dining I would venture to Hanover, NH where you will find Jesse's, Molly's and some fun ethnic places.

Last edited:

Have a wonderful time!

Last edited:
The KOA is right off the highway between White River Junction and Quechee and about five miles all interstate to the Fireside Inn. It would be a very easy drive. The roads should be fine in every direction with the little bit of snow we are expecting, but use your judgement if we are caught off guard with more than is expected or if there is a squall.

West Lebanon, NH, where the Fireside Inn is located, has mostly chain restaurants (Applebees, Chilis, 99) and fast food,, but there is a regional chain called 110 Grill which is nicer (my daughter works there on weekends). For better dining I would venture to Hanover, NH where you will find Jesse's, Molly's and some fun ethnic places.

Awesome info! Thanks so much. I think we've decided on Fireside Inn. We'll drive over one day to check out Quechee Village.

I'm looking more into Fireside Inn reviews & TripAdvisor has it a 3 1/2 out of 5. We typically look for 4 out of 5 minimum. Any opinions on the low rating?

White River Jct is not much of a tourist attraction. It is well-placed at the intersection of I-89 and I-91 as well as the junction of the White River and the Connecticut River (hence the name).
This is bringing back memories - many a picnic lunch was eaten at White River Junction on the drive to/from Cape Cod.

Sorry OP - no helpful suggestions as I the only part of the area that I've seen is the grassy rest stop area (and we brought food).

Last edited:
Just north of white river junction is the Norwich Inn which has a restaurant and bar in the main building. Also right next to a small food store. Also the Hanover Inn in Hanover (just over the river from White River Junction) has an attached restaurant and is in downtown Hanover with restaurants within walking distance (we love Mollys).

I'm looking more into Fireside Inn reviews & TripAdvisor has it a 3 1/2 out of 5. We typically look for 4 out of 5 minimum. Any opinions on the low rating?

It would not be my first choice and is not a new hotel, but it is located close to food and shopping. There is a Hampton Inn and a Holiday Inn Express in White River Junction that would be half way between Quechee and West Lebanon. DO NOT book the Super 8 or Shady Lawn Hotels.

Murmer made some good suggestions for very nice hotels in Hanover, NH and Norwich, VT.

What do you guys think about Courtyard by Marriott Hanover Lebanon? Is the location convenient to the KOA & other things to do, places to eat?

Just north of white river junction is the Norwich Inn which has a restaurant and bar in the main building. Also right next to a small food store. Also the Hanover Inn in Hanover (just over the river from White River Junction) has an attached restaurant and is in downtown Hanover with restaurants within walking distance (we love Mollys).
Those would be my first choice. Unfortunately, they're a little expensive for the expense account, plus Hanover Inn appears to be sold out. I'd love to stay at either of them though.

We just arrived at the Courtyard. We called Align Inn, but the food options didn't sound promising tonight. We were contemplating driving by Hotel Coolidge before getting a room here, but our nerves are kind of shot. We were detoured, due to down power lines, then we saw several wrecks. We decided to stay here & get a drink.lol

We just arrived at the Courtyard. We called Align Inn, but the food options didn't sound promising tonight. We were contemplating driving by Hotel Coolidge before getting a room here, but our nerves are kind of shot. We were detoured, due to down power lines, then we saw several wrecks. We decided to stay here & get a drink.lol
Sounds like Vermont to me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter