Which Moderate for In-Laws?

rocketman

Earning My Ears
I am planning a trip for October with my family of four and my wife's parents who are in their late 60's in age. They have not been to WDW since 1980. Which Moderate do you think my wife's parents would like best? Is CBR too colorful for them? I am leaning towards PO Riverside in one of the Mansions. We are from the South and I would think this would fit them well. My family stayed at POFQ in 2002 and All Star Movies in 2000 so this would give us a different resort, although I would not hesitate going back to POFQ. I have not really considered Coronado Springs. I saw on the Resort FAQ thread where someone posted that renovations are complete at Riverside. That would be great to get a fresh room. Also, when we stayed at POFQ I remember circling through Riverside to pick up guests and do not remember the Riverside folks having a problem finding a seat on the bus. Do you think PO Riverside in the Mansions is what I should book?

i would have 2 agree with PO riverside, however.. i just loved the allagator bayou! there are lots of trees and shrubs. you just have a feeling of relaxation ( which is great after a long day at the parks )

however, with yall being from Tennessee you might like the no trees aspect of the mansions;)

I think either Riverside or French Quarter would work well, as both resorts are smaller in size so you would not have to do as much walking within the resort itself. CSR and CBR can involve a whole lot of walking to get to the food court, pool, room, etc. The new renovations at Riverside are an extra perk but I have not heard anything negative re French Quarter's room conditions. The real question is more formal (Mansions and French Quarter) vs more whimiscal (Alligator Bayou). What would your in-laws prefer? I know when we took my mother with us, she spent a lot of time at the resort as she truly does not really enjoy the theme park experience but does enjoy being with her grandkids. She surprised us by preferring Riverside over French Quarter; said the theming was great and that she just enjoyed walking around the grounds. No matter which resort you choose, I am sure you all will have a wonderful time; the memories are what Disney is all about!

You can check out my CSR website below for pics and info. Good luck deciding!

I've stayed at all of the moderates except Coronado Springs. The Mansion section of POR is by far my favorite and usually I always recommend it. My only hesitation for your in-laws, depending on what kind of shape they're in, is that some of the Mansion buildings can be a long walk from the central hub (food court, etc.). I actually enjoy how this resort is more spread out as I love the scenery and feel that it gives a sense of privacy, but a couple in their late 60s might not feel the same way.

If walking distances is a problem, I would recommend POFQ. Renovations there are complete so all the rooms have been rehabbed and it's the smallest of the moderate resorts so there is less walking. If you are in the mood for a stroll, you can walk or take the boat (every 20 mins) to Riverside to enjoy the sit down restaurant and other amenities there.

The buses really come down to personal preference. Some people prefer POFQ because buses come there first and you always get a seat, while some people prefer POR because you don't have to sit through circling another resort. I've never had problems with buses being full at POR, but have read recently on these boards that that has been a problem, with buses pulling straight through.

I think the POR would be a good choice for two reasons.

The landscape is beautiful from the alligator byou rooms to the plantation houses. They have a horse drwn carriage ride around teh resortand you can rent bikes, etc. and reason number two, you can take a boat to the Downtown Disney area. That would be a nice trip, no traffic, nice scenery and you can be let off at the West side or the Rainforest Cafe dock area.

The alligator byou rooms do have the second levels without access to an elevator. My husband and I forgot about that when we stayed in Dec. That was fun taking a stroller up and down stairs! We forgot to request a lower level room!
Best of luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter