Which Mod. Priced Wdw Resort Should I Choose

MR BUTCHIE

Earning My Ears
hi i'm looking for some help choosing a hotel if you could tell which hotel you like and why and also if anybody can compare them to the swan and dolphin
any outstanding features like pools or grounds would help thanks

Port Orleans Riverside to me has the feel of the Beach club without the price. it has lovely grounds and the river which has boats to DTD. you can do a Carriage ride, Has old fashioned swimming hole theme pool and other quiet pools, you can also use the Port Orleans French Quarter facilities.

Disney's resorts have themes.

I would choose the theme that most appealed to my family and try it out.

CBR has the wonderful beach area.

POFQ has the New Orleans look.

POR has the Ab section and the Mansions with the deep south look.

And CSR has the southwest look.
--------------------------------------------------------
Here is my list of the differences-----

Mod vs Mod

'CBR is 340 square feet and the other mods are 314.

They are basically laid out the same but CSR only has 1 sink (the other have 2 sinks.)
CSR does not have a luggage seat.

Here is the layout of POR:

portorleansriv.gif

POR room lay out

Room size Comparison:

Pop Century/All Stars-260 Square Feet
CS, POR/POFQ-314 SF
Caribbean Beach-340 SF
Wilderness Lodge-344 SF
AKL-344 SF
Yacht/Beach-381 SF
Boardwalk-385 SF
Polynesian-409 SF
Contemporary-436 SF
Grand Floridian-about 400-440SF
Ft Wilderness Cabins-504 SF
Family suites at All Star Music -520 SF

POFQ is not as spread out as the other mods or the values.

POR CBR and CSR are very spread out.

The mods have pool slides, a hot tub and a sit down restaurant (POFQ doses not have a sit down restaurant but shares with POR.)

POFQ and POR are concidered sister resorts so they share pools.

When staying at one of these resorts you can use the other resort's pool.
You can also refill your refillable mug at either of the food courts.

Some of the rooms at POR in the AB section have a trundle bed and can sleep 5.

---------------------------------------------------------
Transportation.

CBR has 7 bus stops.
CSR has 4 bus stops.
PO has 5 stops. 1st stop POFQ then 4 stops at POR.
POFQ & POR do have a boat to DTD.

----------------------------------------------------------
Elevators

CBR does not have elevators

CSR has elevators

POFQ has elevators

POR the AB section does not have elevators
POR the Mansions does have elevators

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Have fun at Disney!:wizard:

CSR! It has the best pool, slide and main pool area of the 4 mods. It also has great landscaping and terrific transportation that is not shared with another resort like POR/POFQ. Check out my CSR website below for pics and info.

I've stayed at CBR and POR. I've visited POFQ. I think the reason that I have not been back to CBR is that it felt very spread-out to me. Part of the problem was that we were in Trinidad South. It was a very long walk to the main building - or anywhere for that matter. So, we had to rely on the internal bus -which sometimes did not show up for a LONNNGGGG time.

POFQ is quite compact, but the buildings seemed really crowded together. I did not "get" the theme there. But, that's all personal preference.

My favorite resort is POR. I love the lush grounds, the river, the boats to DTD, pretty much everything about this resort. Again, location might be the key to whether people love it or hate it. We have stayed in the Acadian house both times we were there. It was close to everything - so I have never felt like POR is nearly as big as what others would have you believe.

I'd definitely recommend a stay at the CBR. The rooms are bigger, there's a full service restaurant at the resort and, not only is there a main pool but there are quiet pools in each of the villages as well.

Some would say a con would be the fact that the CBR is a large resort. The promenade around the entire resort is just 1.4 miles. Old Port Royale (main pool/marina/food court) is in the middle. So, to me the walk from anywhere is not that bad.

When I was planning our first trip to the CBR, I remember thinking that I really wished somebody would write a super detailed report. I wanted to know what the rooms looked like. I wanted to know what food they served. I wanted to know how the buses ran. I wanted to know.....well.....everything!

So, when I returned from our wonderful 10 day stay at the CBR, I immediately came back and posted a thread that told everything. Since that post, we've been back to the CBR again and would return there in a heartbeat.

Here's my most recent post:

We have stayed at the CBR two years in a row and have enjoyed both stays. The minute we drove onto the CBR grounds we fell in love. The tropical theming is carried out throughout the resort. The buildings are all painted bright colors. The grounds were well maintained with fruit trees and lush foliage everywhere.

You will need to check in at the Custom House. Unless you have major problems during your stay (which we never did during either of our 10 day stays), you will probably not go back to the Custom House until you are ready to check out. That being said, it is not necessary to request a room near the Custom House.

When you check in, you will be given a packet of information which includes a map of the resort, park maps, information on transportation, dining information and much more.

The Concierge Desk is where you will pick up your dinner show tickets. They can also provide you with a printout of all your ADRs.

Bell Services is located at the Custom House too. If you arrive via Magical Express, you can request that Bell Services take you to your assigned building. You can also use Bell Services at check out to help get your luggage (and yourself) to the Custom House.

The CBR is a large resort but this means that the guests are distributed evenly throughout the resort and you won't feel crowded.

During our June, 2006 stay, we were assigned to Jamaica Building 41. Our upstairs room faced a beautiful lush courtyard. The walk to any destination was not long at all. It took us about 3 minutes to get to the Jamaica bus stop, about a minute to reach the Jamaica pool and laundry facilities and approximately 5 minutes to Old Port Royale. I especially liked crossing over the bridge and through the island to reach the main pool and food court. Tropical music is piped in for your enjoyment.

During our June, 2007 stay, we were upgraded to a room in Martinique. In my honest opinion, I don't think I would have paid the extra money to stay in Martinique. If you really want to be close to the main pool and Old Port Royale though , you might want to consider paying the extra money for a preferred location. Walking is just not that big of a deal to us so we just save that extra money for something else.

The rooms at the CBR are 340 square feet whereas the rooms at the value resorts are much smaller and the other moderate resorts are 314 square feet. Believe me, when you start getting all your people and all their luggage into the room, you'll be glad you have the extra space. We are a family of four (ages 41,41,20 and 10) and we have plenty of room at the CBR.

The beds at the CBR are raised off the floor providing you with a great space to store your empty luggage. Most rooms have two double beds but there are some that have one king size bed. There is a nightstand, a table with two chairs, a large mirror, an armoire with television and lots of drawers, a refrigerator, a bench with large storage drawer and a peg type shelf in the bedroom area. The refrigerator is like those found in most college dorms. Not big but not too small either. Plenty of room to store colas, water, juice, etc.

A privacy curtain can be pulled to separate the sink/closet area from the bedroom area. This comes in real handy when you've got several in your party.

There are two sinks in the sink/closet area. They are enclosed is a wooden vanity with storage area beneath. The closet has a long closet rod and our room had about a dozen wooden hangers already there. I brought along two dozen more and we still had plenty of room to hang all of our shirts.

A small safe is located in the closet wall. It's pretty slim and you can't store much more than a camera, a wallet, etc.

A hairdryer, iron, ironing board, refrigerator and coffeemaker are standard in the CBR rooms.

The bathroom was the typical hotel/motel bathroom size but our's was extremely clean. There were no loose tiles, mold or mildew. I checked!

Mousekeeping was great. During both stays, we received five towel animals. Our trash was taken out and our floor was vacuumed daily. We had four people in our party and we were given six large towels every day. They also replinished our coffee supply each morning. I tipped our mousekeeper each day.

I was really surprised at how quiet the rooms are at the CBR. We hardly ever heard our neighbors. If they were walking by, we would hear them if they were talking loudly. Most times, it was just quiet.

Each village has their own quiet pool and neither the Jamaica nor the Martinique quiet pools were busy at any time of the day. Some times, we had the pool all to ourselves. At other times, there were about a dozen guests using the quiet pool. I expect this to change when the main pool undergoes the rehab. I read, recently, that the quiet pools will have slides installed while the main pool is in rehab. Laundries are located near each village quiet pool. You can swim and do laundry at the same time!

The white sandy beaches in each village are swept clean each night. It was so nice to just sit in a beach chair or laze around in the hammocks. Several of the beaches have small playgrounds and at least one has a volleyball net.

The walk around the promenade is very pretty. You can get a real feel of the resort by taking this 1.4 mile walk. At one point, you will walk on wooden walkways through a wooded area. The flowering trees and bushes are everywhere. Plenty of picture taking opportunities along the way.

The main pool was pretty crowded during both of our stays but we expected that since the temps were in the high 80's/low 90's. The hot tub and hair wrap station are near the pool. Order a tropical drink at the pool bar and sip it at any of the numerous umbrella tables.

At the marina, you can rent pontoon boats, canoes, watermice, bicycles or surrey bikes. Fishing excursions are now at the CBR too. For the kids in your group, there is a pirate adventure cruise. I believe the cost was around $30.00. The kids are taken out onto the lake in a pontoon boat and are shown a treasure map. They make several stops along the beach in their search for treasure. We rented the sea raycers and every time we got close to the boat full of pirates, they would shake their fists at us and yell AARRGGHH!

Each village also has their own bus stop. The bus stops are covered, have several benches and cola machines. We never waited long for a bus. As a matter of fact, at times, there were two and three buses at the bus stop at the same time. Because the CBR is so centrally located, it never took us long to get to any Disney destination.

There is a bus which circles around the CBR only. You can get on at any bus stop and get off at any bus stop.

I was pleasantly surprised by the food court/store/arcade area. The store is divided in two with one side selling Pirates of the Caribbean, Caribbean Beach Resort and tropical merchandise. They even sell coconut postcards that you can mail home to friends and family. The other side of the store sells the more traditional Disney merchandise such as snowglobes, t-shirts, purses, watches, hats, scrapbooking items, etc.

The arcade is not super large but it had plenty room to keep up with the June crowds. You purchase a refillable playing card that you just swipe at each game. No keeping up with tokens or change.

We really enjoyed the food selection that the food court had to offer. You go to each of the food stations, order and get your food and then go to a central cashier. Simple to do.

The grab-n-go section serves fresh made sandwiches, salads, yogurt, fresh fruit, pies, cakes, veggies and dip, along with lots of other fresh items. At the pizza station, you will find pizza, pastas and salads. Burgers and chicken strips are served at another station. The kids chicken strip meal is served in a plastic sand pail with shovel. Yet another station has rotissiere chicken, roasted turkey, vegetables and hot sandwiches.

At breakfast, an assortment of breakfast meats, Mickey waffles, fresh fruit, pancakes, eggs, hashbrowns and omelets are served.

Shutters is a full service restaurant and the food was good. Even our picky 10 year old son found something he liked on the menu.

The food court seating area is large and we never had a problem finding a table. The self serve drink area has several drink stations. On the condiments bar, there are hot tea bags, honey, assorted jellies, parmesean cheese, hot pepper sauce, etc. There are also a couple of microwaves and toasters.

If you want to take your items to go, just tell the CMs who are plating your meals. They will provide you with tops for the dishes. At the register, ask the CM for a bag. They give you large brown bags with handles making it easy to carry your items out.

Hope this helps you in your decision making process! Lisa

Part of the problem was that we were in Trinidad South. It was a very long walk to the main building - or anywhere for that matter. So, we had to rely on the internal bus -which sometimes did not show up for a LONNNGGGG time.

I completely sympathize with you! It is a VERY long walk from Trinidad South. We stayed there twice when we didn't know any better.:sad2: The option of driving/taking the internal shuttle isn't exactly 'appealing' either.

I've never stayed at Coronado--the description of the food court policy isn't to my liking, but that's just me. We go during T'giving--CSR is where the All Star cheerleaders have several meals brought in and where they practice for the MK T'giving Day parade :cheer2: --I have no desire to be there for that!
That being said, I would make sure to call and see if there are any conferences or events scheduled during the time of your stay before booking.

I've stayed at both CBR and POR and liked both. I didn't like the fact that there was only 1 bus stop at POR, vs one for each 'island/section' at CBR. but that was the only downside that I can remember. POR had a really neat pool.

OK, I haven't stayed at the Swan/Dolphin, but I've been inside both of them. While they are Deluxe resorts, which gives them the nudge over Moderate ones...they don't really have themes that I can make out. They are very...different? I dunno. They are whimsical - kind of funky. :)

I have stayed in all the moderate resorts though, and my advice there is to pick the theme you like best and go with it. :) I like CSR and CBR a lot more than the Orleans resorts...but there is nothing wrong with the Orleans resorts, they just aren't my thing.

I've stayed at both CBR and POR and liked both. I didn't like the fact that there was only 1 bus stop at POR, vs one for each 'island/section' at CBR. but that was the only downside that I can remember. POR had a really neat pool.

In fact, there are 4 stops at POR, so your room won't be far from one of them.

We absolutely loved POR. The landscaping, the boat ride to DTD, the transportation was great, the deep south or blue bayou theming, the several pools in quiet areas and the main themed pool for kids.

We stayed in both themed areas on our last trip and really liked them both although the mansions section is just across the bridge and our other room was right next door to the main building.

This resort just felt Disney to us. The parlour settings and blue bayou atmosphere of pirates in the evenings.

I'd have a difficult time staying elsewhere.

Happy Planning

I prefer POFQ. It's small and beautiful. Has a boat to DTD and beignets in the food court. It also has it's own bus stop at MK in the evening.

OK, I haven't stayed at the Swan/Dolphin, but I've been inside both of them. While they are Deluxe resorts, which gives them the nudge over Moderate ones...they don't really have themes that I can make out. They are very...different? I dunno. They are whimsical - kind of funky. :) ...........

Actually the Swan/Dolphin hotels have a theme even though most guests do not understand the whimical building s that were designed by Micael Graves.

Here is the story behind the Swan& Dolphin that was told by Michael Graves the designer to Wade Sampson staff writer for Mouse planet:

The "black box" area on the Walt Disney Dolphin that many Disney fans mistakenly believe was meant to be an entrance for the monorail similar to the Contemporary resort is actually the heart of a mountain. The Walt Disney Dolphin is a mountain that has struggled to thrust its way out of the tropical rain forest. That is the reason for the banana leaves painted along the side of the building.

The struggle caused the heart to explode, and the water cascades nine stories down the side of the hotel, passing through five clamshell basins to a fountain and eventually splashing into Crescent Lake. Notice that the walkway from the Walt Disney Dolphin to the Walt Disney Swan has railings and landscaping that mimic waves. The water splashes up onto the Walt Disney Swan and that accounts for the waves painted on the side of that hotel.

Two birds were so awed by this spectacle that they alighted on the top of the waves to get a better look and were magically transformed into swans. Graves deliberately selected two creatures that "were not part of the existing Disney mythology" but had hopes that they would then be developed further as Disney icons once he had selected them.

The dolphin image was inspired by the work of Italian sculptor Gian Lorenzo Bernini. An example of Bernini's dolphins can be seen in the King Neptune fountain in the Italian pavilion at Epcot. However, there is a major difference that Graves pointed out to us. Bernini's dolphins had mouths that curved downward, and Eisner insisted that wasn't going to happen on Walt Disney World property—so Graves' dolphins have their mouths curved upwards as if smiling.

Designed by Graves, the swan statues (like the dolphin statues) are created from steel, wood, and fiberglass, and were believed to be the largest structures of their kind in the world at the time. Since there were no existing samples to work from, Disney artist Gary Graham following Graves' design, sculpted the swan models out of Styrofoam and these were then computer photographed (photogrammetry) in a process that turns the shapes into a digitized database.

The photogrammetric information was then sent on to a shipbuilding company in Wisconsin. There it was put into a computer that automatically cut the wooden ribs to exact specifications and imprinted the ribs with numbers and location directions. The ribs were then delivered to the statue site, where they were fitted to a steel frame. Once assembled, a fiberglass covering was carefully brushed on and then covered with five layers of laminate. The swan statues were then sanded, painted and ultimately lifted into place on May 1989.

Completed, the swan statues, referred to as "heroic" statues, are 47 feet high. And at a combined weight of 56,000 pounds, they required a multi-ton 70-foot crane to lift them up atop the hotel. They were placed on specially constructed pedestals at either end of the hotel's roof, which support and display them.

The dolphin statues are 63 feet high and some Disneyphiles referred to them as "Flipper's Tomb" when they first appeared. All the roof sculptures are hollow inside, except for the structural beaming, and they have internal staircases and trapdoors for maintenance purposes.

At the Walt Disney Dolphin, the sculptures are three-dimensional where guests can't touch them and two-dimensional, like in the indoor fountain, where they can be touched. At the Walt Disney Swan, it is reversed and the sculptures are generally three-dimensional where they can be touched by guests (like the interior fountain), but two-dimensional (like the monkeys and parrots) where they can't be touched.

Where is the entrance to the Walt Disney Dolphin? No, it is not at the porte cochere (where cars drop off their passengers). It is facing the Walt Disney Swan.

The dolphins in the fountain facing the Walt Disney Swan were supposed to be three-dimensional, but Graves was told to space them out wider because they obstructed the view. Instead, Graves simply sliced the dolphins, making what he called "dolphin filets," and keeping them exactly where they were but opening up the space. He also made the fountain smaller since the dolphins are now two-dimensional and needed to be able to be touched.

When you enter a hotel, the check-in desk is usually on the right-hand side because most guests are right-handed. In the Walt Disney Dolphin it is on the left-hand side. The tent-covered rotunda is also disorienting without landmarks or icons for guests to determine which direction they need to go to get to their room. These were deliberate choices to create a sense of disorientation by Graves.

"It was to be a hotel for conventions and when you attend a convention, what do you want the participants to do? You want them to think differently, to see things from a different perspective. So the design is encouraging that," said Graves.

The Walt Disney Swan is completely different. The entrance is where the porte cochere is. The check-in desk is on the right hand side. The hallways are designed in an angular fashion so that is it easier to locate where you are and where you might want to go. Graves partnered with interior design firm of Wilson and Associates to create rich beach-themed color schemes, hand-painted murals, lily pond carpets, room doors painted to look like striped cabanas, sea shell light fixtures and more to capture the spirit of a playful tropical beach.

"Both inside and out, the hotel was designed to echo the tropical Florida landscape, as well as the fun and whimsy of the nearby Disney attractions and an aura of fantasy that appeals to guests of all ages," said Graves.

Have fun at Disney!:wizard:

We stayed at CSR in April 2006 & LOVED it!! Really beautiful place; big; lots of walking trails; cool pool; great CS restaurant & amazing TS restaurant; nice decor...really can't think of anything we didn't like.

We have decided to try POR this time which we are hoping to equally like...sure we will!

I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the mods for your choice.

hi i'm looking for some help choosing a hotel if you could tell which hotel you like and why and also if anybody can compare them to the swan and dolphin
any outstanding features like pools or grounds would help thanks

You did not mention when you are going.

Please keep the rehabs in mind:

• Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
    • 1/8/08 - 9/15/08 - Old Port Royale Pool - During this rehab, the Barbados and Jamaica Village Pools will have slides added. The resort's recreation programs for children will also be enhanced while this rehab is taking place.

• Francisco's expanding thru 10/12. It will reopen with a bar, lounge, cafe. The La Tienda convenience store will be relocated as part of this refurbishment

Also, in case you are looking into one of the dining plans, I do not believe that they offered to the guests at the Swan/Dolphin.

• Francisco's expanding thru 10/12. It will reopen with a bar, lounge, cafe. The La Tienda convenience store will be relocated as part of this refurbishment
Yes, but CSR also built a new lounge outside and it is already open for business. It looks great!

outdoorcc.jpg

outdoor22c.jpg

laguna1.jpg

There is another area with rataan tables and chairs. Actually, it just seemed like they lined the walking path with these heavy tables and chairs. There was a man at a booth that took care of folks at these tables. :)

tink

we are planing early may of 2008 we are 8 famlies ranging in age from 6 to 93so we kind of cover it all it sounds like the cbr is out because of the pol rehab the kids really love the pools and it gives us older folks time for our afternoon nap in the sun we usually need it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter