• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which is a shorter walk?

maxiesmom

The Mean Squinty Eye Works
Planning for a future trip and trying to decide between the Poly and the Contemporary. Hoping to take my dad again, and while he can walk, we try to not do a lot of walking all at once. The parks we go to most are Epcot and the Magic Kingdom.

I know from the Poly you can walk to the TTC to get a monorail to Epcot. I know from the Contemporary you can walk to the Magic Kingdom. Which is the shorter walk? And are there any places to stop and take a break if you are walking to the Magic Kingdom? Any benches or walls you can lean on?

And no, not really any places to sit or lean for a break between CR and MK

Thanks to both of you.:flower3: I was thinking the Contemporary, but sounds like the Poly may be the better choice. Plus if dad is really tired we can always monorail around to the TTC. Not very quick, I know, but a good option if he doesn't feel like walking.

Would he use a scooter? My MIL had a fit when we rented her one at Epcot. We had to force her to use it or threaten to leave. She quickly discovered how much of a better day she was going to have once she got on it. She is 79yo and stubborn as can be! We are going to Disney next month and I rented her a scooter. She bought an ankle brace to wear on it so people will think she’s injured and not an age where she needs the assistance :rolleyes:

Just FYI, I was curious to know the actual distances so did a little Google mapping. Poly GCH to TTC is .4 miles. CR lobby to MK front gate is .5 miles. Obviously those are round numbers because it depends on your exact start/stop point of measuring. If I move the pin to, say, Aotearoa (the furthest west longhouse at Poly), that distance is more like .5 miles.

If I were considering mobility needs, unfortunately I think both are relatively 'long' walks all things considered. The walk from Poly to TTC has a few more benches and such when still on the Poly grounds... but not much else until you get to the TTC.

Hope that helps.

I think Polynesian would be your best choice! Both Contemporary and Polynesian aren't far away but aren't necessarily 'close' walking-wise, but for a convenience factor I would go with the Polynesian. My husband and I stayed at the Polynesian during Food and Wine and were pleasantly surprised with how easy it was to get to both the Magic Kingdom and Epcot. And like you said if all else fails just take the monorail all the way around!

Just FYI, I was curious to know the actual distances so did a little Google mapping. Poly GCH to TTC is .4 miles. CR lobby to MK front gate is .5 miles. Obviously those are round numbers because it depends on your exact start/stop point of measuring. If I move the pin to, say, Aotearoa (the furthest west longhouse at Poly), that distance is more like .5 miles.

If I were considering mobility needs, unfortunately I think both are relatively 'long' walks all things considered. The walk from Poly to TTC has a few more benches and such when still on the Poly grounds... but not much else until you get to the TTC.

Hope that helps.

Interesting. I've actually done both walks, from Aotearoa to the entrance of the Epcot monorail and the front of CR to the entrance of the MK security line. I'm a nerd and take detailed notes of such things.

Aotearoa to Epcot monorail entrance 6 minutes.
Front of CR to entrance of MK security line 12 minutes.

Interesting. I've actually done both walks, from Aotearoa to the entrance of the Epcot monorail and the front of CR to the entrance of the MK security line. I'm a nerd and take detailed notes of such things.

Aotearoa to Epcot monorail entrance 6 minutes.
Front of CR to entrance of MK security line 12 minutes.

What did you eat before that trip from CR to MK to make you walk so slow? 8-)

Reactions: TJA

I just did the same thing. Using the "measure distance" tool on Google Maps (found via right-click), the distance from the lobby of Disney's Contemporary Resort to Magic Kingdom is around 2,600 feet (or 0.49 miles).

The distance from the lobby of Disney's Polynesian Village Resort to the Epcot monorail station is around 2,500 feet (or 0.47 miles).

The winner in the shortest distance contest will depend upon which building one ends up in at each respective resort.

I just did the same thing. Using the "measure distance" tool on Google Maps (found via right-click), the distance from the lobby of Disney's Contemporary Resort to Magic Kingdom is around 2,600 feet (or 0.49 miles).

The distance from the lobby of Disney's Polynesian Village Resort to the Epcot monorail station is around 2,500 feet (or 0.47 miles).

The winner in the shortest distance contest will depend upon which building one ends up in at each respective resort.

Or you could actually walk both. If so, Poly is the winner.

Would he use a scooter? My MIL had a fit when we rented her one at Epcot. We had to force her to use it or threaten to leave. She quickly discovered how much of a better day she was going to have once she got on it. She is 79yo and stubborn as can be! We are going to Disney next month and I rented her a scooter. She bought an ankle brace to wear on it so people will think she’s injured and not an age where she needs the assistance :rolleyes:

No, as of now anyway he says no scooter. He can still walk, does all his own grocery shopping and such. But we all know a trip to WDW is a whole different level of walking. For now taking it slow is the plan.

No, as of now anyway he says no scooter. He can still walk, does all his own grocery shopping and such. But we all know a trip to WDW is a whole different level of walking. For now taking it slow is the plan.

That is my MIL!!! She doesn’t use any mobility aids at home. She drives herself everywhere and does all the shopping, etc. She’s very independent, but her very first time at Disney was January 2015. She had no idea how huge it was. We went only to MK for two half days and she refused a scooter and wheelchair and unfortunately paid the price. When we brought her to Disney Springs and Epcot in April 2017 she did not want a scooter. All we did was go to Raglan Road and World of Disney and she was in so much pain. The next afternoon at Epcot we literally told her that we were leaving and going home if she didn’t get her butt on that scooter. She regretted not having one in the past. She could see and do so much more. She is still insisting on wearing that stupid ankle brace on the scooter. I keep telling her it is going to attract more attention than riding a scooter without it!!!

Not sure if this would apply to your dad's situation, but my MIL brought a foldable wheeled walker that also turns into a seat when we were there this past spring--she got it while recovering from one of her knee replacement surgeries. Being able to hold/push something greatly helps with her back pain and mobility. Plus she had a seat when ever she wanted one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter