Which DVC resort

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate outcome. I have been watching the resale process for about a year, and I don't get it either. I had been interested in getting BWV when people were passing in the low $50's, but I don't really want to pay in the upper $60's at this point.

Have you completely ruled out AKV? It looks like you have stayed there recently, so you know what the resort is like. You could probably get a contract for about the same as you were willing to pay for the BWV contract that you lost. There are some perceived drawbacks to the resort: no counter service at Kidani, have to take buses to all of the parks, long hallways. The MF's are higher, but not by a lot, particularly given the size contract you are looking at. Most of the time AKV has availability at 7 months, so if you really want to stay at AKV and own somewhere else, you can usually get in at 7 months.

One advantage is that you probably would lose a resale contract to ROFR, considering that they are still actively trying to sell new points. Additionally, the contract goes through 2057, giving you 15 more years for potentially the same price.

We own at AKV and we love the ability to get into the value rooms to conserve points or the concierge level rooms when we want to splurge a little. Although the resort is a bus ride from all of the parks, it is one resort where I feel like I have gotten away from the rush of the parks and the savanna is very peaceful. We generally stay at Kidani, so the buses are empty when they arrive at the bus stop.

I agree with the "buy where you want to stay" and Brian's alternative. We enjoy staying at the other resorts, but we have always been very happy with our stays at Kidani.

I hate to spend a couple thousand dollars to rent points for this trip when I could put that money towards my DVC!
BUt even if I did buy now... I wouldn't be able to book until mid-june! Who knows if anything will even be available!

Rent points, close on a contract for what you want, and once you close, rent the points you would have used for your trip to someone else. You might come out a few hundred dollars behind, but if what you want is Boardwalk, and you can afford DVC, that hundred dollars isn't much.

Or wait, and take your chances that come June something will be available in October. Your chances are pretty good that something will be. It will likely be SSR or OKW or maybe VAKL, and you might have to move, but I don't see DVC being completely booked up by June or even July for October. If it is and you gambled wrong, book over at Bonnet Creek for this trip. One trip staying where you don't want to be will be worth the next 30 years of stress over "can I get what I want at seven months."

Particularly since you are looking at BW....That makes it likely that standard view rooms with their low point cost might be appealing. Those rooms get booked by owners pretty much all year round - sometimes you can slip in at seven months, but its never dependable (maybe late January or mid-September).

I hate to spend a couple thousand dollars to rent points for this trip when I could put that money towards my DVC!
BUt even if I did buy now... I wouldn't be able to book until mid-june! Who knows if anything will even be available!

Or you can rent points and buy a stripped contract! Chances of Disney taking that back would be much lower and the price for the resale should be lower as well. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter