Which DVC resort

robinbutterfly

DIS Veteran
Well we didn't pass ROFR. :-( We were trying to get a BWV contract, but there seems like there aren't many out there.
We can't decide if we should go ahead and get one at another resort.
Bwtn. VWL, OKW and SS, which one would you pick?

I'd be patient, spend another $2 a point, and get your first choice in resorts.

I own BWV. I love VWL. So that would be my choice, but if you are picking BWV for a reason, do that.

You need to buy at the resort where you love to stay. You wouldn't buy just any car, you buy the one you love to drive. Your resort should be the same, taking into consideration the location, amenities, access to transportation, food, and theming. :thumbsup2

:earsboy: Bill

There is a surprising lack of BWV contracts at the moment. Things seem to go in cycles and I'm sure if you give it a little time something will show up. But if you're wanting/needing to buy now then I'd choose VWL if that is a resort that you will often want to stay at. It's much smaller than SSR and OKW and will be more difficult to book a room at 7 months in comparison to SSR or OKW. It is a shorter contract, expiring in 2042 but that's the same as most OKW resales unless you intend to buy an extended contract. SSR has a longer contract length and lower dues if that is a resort that you like to stay at.

Buy where you really want to stay at most. That resort will always be your 11 mos. resort, where others will be at 7 mos.

VWL is where we own, and we love it! Close to MK, smaller than other resorts. We also love BWV, proximity to 2 theme parks, theming, amount of restaurants to choose from. OKW is another fave, parking at your door, peaceful.

My point is, eventually you can try em all. Main thing, buy where you really want to be the most.

Well here is my problem, my kids have a week off in school in October. It is a rare and unusual break, and we have to take advantage of the low season and go to Disney! So I feel rushed and I want to get a DVC ASAP so I can book a place ASAP!
Yes, our first choice is by far BWV... but we always go low season... shouldn't we always be able to book at BWV during value season even with booking only 7 months in advance?

Well here is my problem, my kids have a week off in school in October. It is a rare and unusual break, and we have to take advantage of the low season and go to Disney! So I feel rushed and I want to get a DVC ASAP so I can book a place ASAP!
Yes, our first choice is by far BWV... but we always go low season... shouldn't we always be able to book at BWV during value season even with booking only 7 months in advance?
As said, in October because of F&W, you need 11 month booking for BWV. That being said if you have no real preference in the resort you buy, the best deal as far as price, dues, and length of years, is SSR. But if you are set at staying at one particular resort the most, it is worth the extra money.

Don't feel rushed. Don't make a purchase in haste that you'll be living with (and paying for) for the next 30+ years because you're in a hurry to plan this year's vacation. DVC is about the long term.

Not during Food and Wine. No way. Your chances of getting BWV or BCV at 7 months for stays from the end of Sept. to the end of the year are slim at best. First there's F&W, then Thanksgiving, and then right into December, the busiest month for DVC reservations. If you want BWV for that part of the year, you need to be a BWV owner.

It's important to understand that low seasons for DVC resorts are not the same as low season for the parks. The low point cost seasons are more likely to make members book a stay, not less likely.

If BWV was the right resort for you before you attempted your first resale purchase, it's still the right resort for you. Make a cash reservation for your October trip, and then take your time and find the right resale contract for your family. Don't let your daughter's vacation this October influence your DVC purchase, because you likely won't be getting a BWV reservation for this October, no matter when you buy.

Well we didn't pass ROFR. :-( We were trying to get a BWV contract, but there seems like there aren't many out there.
We can't decide if we should go ahead and get one at another resort.
Bwtn. VWL, OKW and SS, which one would you pick?

I am partial to OKW, and you definitely get more "bang for your buck" there with the lower points needed to book and the reasonable dues. My second choice would be AKV or SSR. Remember that you want to buy where you wouldn't mind staying if you couldn't get anything else. SSR and OKW have that benefit. Add to that the fact that OKW has my favorite accommodations with the convenience of the units, and it's a no brainer in my mind.

Don't feel rushed. Don't make a purchase in haste that you'll be living with (and paying for) for the next 30+ years because you're in a hurry to plan this year's vacation. DVC is about the long term.
Read that again. It's really important.

Most will tell you "buy where you want to stay." I have a slightly different version: "Don't buy where you would not be happy to stay most of the time." But, if you really want BWV, take your time and be patient.

What about looking into renting points for this October trip since at this point you are less than 6 months out from the trip and it might be hard to get your first choices (or a whole week at one place)? Then once you have removed the worry of planning for this October you can wait for the right contract to come through. Good luck

We have owned at OKW for 17+ years and have never regretted our purchase. And over the years have purchased additional points 3 times.

That being said you should always buy where you feel the most comfortable. BWV is a wonderful resort, we've always enjoyed ourselves when we stayed there. :thumbsup2

As already pointed out you probably wouldn't be able to book BWV at this point for October because of the popularity of F & W combined with the Epcot resorts so no need to rush. We own at SSR and always try to resort hop from trip to trip. So far we've been lucky in getting what we want but I almost always call right at 9:00 on the 7 month window. You probably still have time to book something at one of the other larger resorts if you can just hold out & wait for another BWV contract to come along...maybe you can rent points or book a cash ressie for now.:confused3

As already pointed out you probably wouldn't be able to book BWV at this point for October because of the popularity of F & W combined with the Epcot resorts so no need to rush. We own at SSR and always try to resort hop from trip to trip. So far we've been lucky in getting what we want but I almost always call right at 9:00 on the 7 month window. You probably still have time to book something at one of the other larger resorts if you can just hold out & wait for another BWV contract to come along...maybe you can rent points or book a cash ressie for now.:confused3

I hate to spend a couple thousand dollars to rent points for this trip when I could put that money towards my DVC!
BUt even if I did buy now... I wouldn't be able to book until mid-june! Who knows if anything will even be available!

I hate to spend a couple thousand dollars to rent points for this trip when I could put that money towards my DVC!
BUt even if I did buy now... I wouldn't be able to book until mid-june! Who knows if anything will even be available!

I understand that you're trying to preserve cash but you are kinda limited in what you can do at this point. You've already been advised by several people to just wait it out for another BWV contract to come along if that's where you really want to own. I don't know what the refund / cancellation policy is these days on a cash package...but if you really want to go in Oct. you could maybe book a non-DVC resort pkg. for Oct. just to have SOMETHING booked while you wait on another BWV contract to come along (and don't pick THE lowest priced one next time - pick somthing that looks like it stands a chance of passing ROFR). Then you could cancel the cash package (if it's refundable) and book another DVC resort in June once you have points to use.

Since I own at SSR and do not like OKW I am inclined to say book SSR. It is newer and has beautiful grounds with great pools for kids and it is "reasonable" on the point charts. We have no regrets for owning at SSR since we've been successful in booking other resorts on each trip. We like SSR but we like to switch up our resorts from trip to trip so they're all always a different trip. We would be bored always staying at the same resort. Only you can decide if you'd be happy buying someplace else then never being able to book when & where you REALLY want to be...

Any chance you could borrow points from the contract you already own, which would allow you to book now, and then use the points from your add-on contract for your next trip instead?

There is a surprising lack of BWV contracts at the moment. Things seem to go in cycles and I'm sure if you give it a little time something will show up. But if you're wanting/needing to buy now then I'd choose VWL if that is a resort that you will often want to stay at. It's much smaller than SSR and OKW and will be more difficult to book a room at 7 months in comparison to SSR or OKW. It is a shorter contract, expiring in 2042 but that's the same as most OKW resales unless you intend to buy an extended contract. SSR has a longer contract length and lower dues if that is a resort that you like to stay at.

The other upside with SSR is that I haven't seen any resalses for SSR ROFR'd for a long time while there seems to have been plenty of OKW contracts ROFR'd recently.

I've had an OKW contract recently ROFR'd, and am waiting to hear on two more OKW contracts. If those don't pass, I might just go looking at SSR contracts myself.

Most will tell you "buy where you want to stay." I have a slightly different version: "Don't buy where you would not be happy to stay most of the time." But, if you really want BWV, take your time and be patient.

I like that "Don't buy where you would not be happy to stay most of the time." :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter