Where to stay?

Lgh5000

Earning My Ears
Making our first trip to Disneyworld as a family of 4 in September (yay!!!). Thought I was going to book Art of Animation (we have a 6 and 4 year old), but found out my mom might like to join us, which means we’d be a party of 5 (and we can’t afford the Disney hotel pricing for that many). I was just informed about DVC rentals, and it looks like Boardwalk and Polynesian are my most cost effective options. Does anyone have any advice for one over the other? Or should we just stay somewhere even cheaper offsite? If we do rent a DVC, Boardwalk is less expensive, but I love that the Polynesian is on the monorail line (my son would love that) and I’d like being so close to Magic Kingdom. Is it worth the extra cost? Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Personally, I would want to spread out to a three bedroom with your party. I would want the adults to each have their own bedroom and the kids to have their own space as well. That way the kids can go to bed at a decent time and the adults can chill out together at the end of the day. So, I would recommend an offsite hotel. You won’t be in the bubble, but it will make the vacation more relaxing for everyone as everyone will get better rest each night. I bought DVC because it’s important to me to have the kitchen and laundry and so that we can spread out at night. Days in the parks can be exhausting, we need good rest at night! I think if you look at hotels with three-bedroom suites outside of the bubble. you’ll be surprised at how much you can get for your money.

Thanks! Our kids defy nature and don't need sleep (seriously - they need less sleep than my husband and I) and usually go to bed when we do, so we're very used to sharing a room with them. However, I did just realize we could do two value rooms at Animal Kingdom for about the same price as one night at Polynesian, and maybe my mom would appreciate that. :)

Thanks! Our kids defy nature and don't need sleep (seriously - they need less sleep than my husband and I) and usually go to bed when we do, so we're very used to sharing a room with them. However, I did just realize we could do two value rooms at Animal Kingdom for about the same price as one night at Polynesian, and maybe my mom would appreciate that. :)
It is hard for owners at AKV to get a value studio. There are only 18, so they go pretty quickly at 11 months out.

Poly is nice because they have the split bathroom. So, basically there are 2 bathrooms, but only one as a toilet. So, there are two places to bathe.

Think about the bed situation too. Most DVC studios have one bed and a pullout couch.

Poly has a queen size bed, a queen size sofa sleeper, and a twin pull-down bed.

Riviera studios have a queen size bed, a queen size pull-down, and a twin pull-down.

Old Key West studios have two queen size beds and are pretty big. The point value there is good, so you could look at two of those.

Saratoga Springs is similar in the preferred section. They have a queen bed and queen pull-down. You can walk to Disney Springs.

You may also want to consider two value rooms if you want to say on property. Pop is usually a little cheaper than AoA and they are right next to each other.

It is hard for owners at AKV to get a value studio. There are only 18, so they go pretty quickly at 11 months out.

Poly is nice because they have the split bathroom. So, basically there are 2 bathrooms, but only one as a toilet. So, there are two places to bathe.

Think about the bed situation too. Most DVC studios have one bed and a pullout couch.

Poly has a queen size bed, a queen size sofa sleeper, and a twin pull-down bed.

Riviera studios have a queen size bed, a queen size pull-down, and a twin pull-down.

Old Key West studios have two queen size beds and are pretty big. The point value there is good, so you could look at two of those.

Saratoga Springs is similar in the preferred section. They have a queen bed and queen pull-down. You can walk to Disney Springs.

You may also want to consider two value rooms if you want to say on property. Pop is usually a little cheaper than AoA and they are right next to each other.
This is very helpful. Thanks so much!!

You might want to check out Wyndham Bonnet Creek. It's basically on Disney property but not Disney. When we stay there we still feel like we're in the Disney bubble. You go under the Disney World Arches to get there so the kids LOVE IT! You could easily get a two bedroom condo at this resort. It has a king master bdrm suite plus a second bedroom with two beds, full kitchen and 2 bathrooms. We stayed here with my MIL. It was perfect. She had her own space and bathroom and she loved the resort. Check out the ongoing thread here on the dis https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-we-loooooove-bonnet-creek-thread-part-4.3366139/

For a DVC point rental I would recommend a two bedroom at OKW. I'm a stickler for everyone having their own bed and space. Love my mom but I wouldn't want her to be in a hotel room with my family and I for more than 2 nights. We would both go crazy by night 2.

Hope you find something to meet your needs.

By the way, it is possible now to walk from Poly to MK, correct? But how long a walk would that be, like is it even doable realistically?

You might want to check out Wyndham Bonnet Creek. It's basically on Disney property but not Disney. When we stay there we still feel like we're in the Disney bubble. You go under the Disney World Arches to get there so the kids LOVE IT! You could easily get a two bedroom condo at this resort. It has a king master bdrm suite plus a second bedroom with two beds, full kitchen and 2 bathrooms. We stayed here with my MIL. It was perfect. She had her own space and bathroom and she loved the resort. Check out the ongoing thread here on the dis https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-we-loooooove-bonnet-creek-thread-part-4.3366139/

For a DVC point rental I would recommend a two bedroom at OKW. I'm a stickler for everyone having their own bed and space. Love my mom but I wouldn't want her to be in a hotel room with my family and I for more than 2 nights. We would both go crazy by night 2.

Hope you find something to meet your needs.
Thanks so much! Do they provide transportation to the parks? Or do you have to pay dor an Uber/Lyft?

I would recommend renting a car. They have tons of free parking and there are tons of restaurants w/in 5 minutes for you to get breakfast, lunch and/or dinner. Plus Walmart down the street.

From this website:
Does Bonnet Creek provide transportation to the parks and Downtown Disney?
Yes, there is a shuttle. It used to be free, but now there is a charge for it. There is one bus for both MK and Epcot and another for DHS and Animal Kingdom. If you use the ‘Search This Thread’ feature there are several shuttle schedules posted on this thread and the old ones. Some people report good experience with the shuttles, but the majority recommend renting a car.

Post 5476 has a shuttle schedule from December.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/t...-thread-part-4.3366139/page-274#post-61409286

Bonnet Creek did have a fee per person per ride the last time we were there. So, for the size of our party, it got expensive quick. It was July, so some members wanted mid-day breaks at the resort. So, bottom line I advise calling to inquire about shuttle fees for ages/size of your party.

Two studios at Saratoga Springs would be a good option as long as your mom wouldn’t feel left out being in her own room. We tend to do something similar and it’s nice to use some of the extra space in my parents room for the stroller and extra snacks and stuff! A 2 bedroom would be really fun, but I’d rather spend the $$ elsewhere!

Thanks! Where did you see that? Though it seems walking to the TTC is another option.

Not the original commenter, but I was under the impression that the monorail was expected to open by end of summer 2021? I remember reading on Wdwmagic that it was suspended for 8 months and would reopen end of July 2021. I'm not going until end of October myself, but I've heard conflicting info about this detail so I don't know for certain.

Be careful of the monorail and COVID, it may or may not be running. Poly DVC is great and so is the Boardwalk. THey are both very close to a park. If you cant decide on one or the other go for Old Key West DVC. OKW is a fantastic resort and was the first DVC. My family loves OKW, it very seems loaded with people and is very quiet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter