Where to stay on Disney cruise from Port Canaveral?

lespes

Earning My Ears
We're flying in to Orlando the night before our August 6, 2022 cruise on Disney Fantasy..
Is it better to stay in Orlando or Port Canaveral?
Any recommendations for hotel or transport!

I've always enjoyed staying at the Hyatt at the airport and then taking DCL transportation from the airport to the ship. If you let DCL know that you're staying there ahead of time they will transport your luggage from the hotel room to the ship.

We arrived into MCO in the evening, and used a car service to Cocoa Beach. We stayed at the four points by Sheraton there. Ihop and Walgreens are just across the road, and the beach is only 5 minutes or so walk. in the morning before our cruise, we were able to fit in breakfast, a quick walk on the beach and a trip to Walgreens to get some beer to take on the ship! The hotel offers a shuttle service to the port for about $6pp.

We like the Hampton Inn Cocoa Beach (short walk to its beachfront), but next time will probably try the new Hampton/Home2 Cape Canaveral. DW tends to stay in Hilton brands for work, so that does influence our decision a little.

Staying near the airport or the port is a personal thing. No right or wrong answer. We usually stay near the port. We also usually get a rental car as we arrive to Florida a few days before our cruise and either visit WDW or other parts of Florida and then spend the night before the cruise in the Port area. We drop the bags at the port first and then return the rental car and hop on the rental shuttle bus back to port. Usually just one person goes and returns the car as it is much easier for one person without luggage to fit on the shuttle bus. Cruise days are always very busy at rental car offices.

There are many hotels....some nearer the port, some nearer the beach, etc. All depends on your price point.

We have stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn several times and really liked it. We have also liked the Radisson. We have stayed at the new Homewood Suites, the Doubletree, the Four Points Sheraton (didn't like this one as much) and a few others. We have also stayed at the Hyatt and took DCL transportation to the port and have stayed at WDW and taken DCL transportation to the port. So .many options

We drive to Port Canaveral from VA and typically stay in Titusville, until they got rid of the discount parking vouchers. This year (Sept 4th) my wife is suggesting we sleep in the car in Cocoa beach being overly cautious etc. We shall see.

Only done it once, but we did a car service to a hotel right by the port - then the next morning, they had a $5/person shuttle over to the port with like 3 departure times. That is my general plan for the future, too. If we were going to get in more than the night before, I'd probably get a hotel down in Cocoa Beach - but since we arrived at dinner time, there was no point in doing that.

I've always enjoyed staying at the Hyatt at the airport and then taking DCL transportation from the airport to the ship. If you let DCL know that you're staying there ahead of time they will transport your luggage from the hotel room to the ship.

We've loved staying at the airport Hyatt the night before a cruise, so nice to wheel your bags into the lobby, get your room, settle in, then eat dinner or go for a swim right away, then have Disney transport you to the ship then next day. Two thumbs up.

However, for our next cruise, it will be just before New Years, and we've decided to stay in Cocoa Beach for New Years, and then hop on the cruise from there, so that is an option as well. ;)

There about a dozen hotels on Augusta National Drive right on the border of the airport. Major chains, much cheaper than the Hyatt inside the airport, and they throw in perks like free breakfast and have a shuttle to pick you up, and then drop you off the next day at the Disney Bus pickup location at the airport if you are using Disney transfers.
In our case, coming in from the West coast, we arrived at 11 pm. By the time we got our luggage and got to the hotel, it was about 8 hours before we had to leave to catch the Disney bus. Couldn't justify spending more money when we were going to be in the room such a short time.

We drive to Port Canaveral from VA and typically stay in Titusville, until they got rid of the discount parking vouchers. This year (Sept 4th) my wife is suggesting we sleep in the car in Cocoa beach being overly cautious etc. We shall see.
sleep in the car?

being cautious?

Sorry, cautious from COVID related concerns, added exposure at hotels around unvaccinated people. And yes, possibly sleep in the car.

Sorry, cautious from COVID related concerns, added exposure at hotels around unvaccinated people. And yes, possibly sleep in the car.
Ok, so I absolutely understand limiting exposure. And hotels ARE starting to fill up a bit in the tourist areas. But is there a VRBO or AirBnB you could rent in an effort to save your back and neck from the awful discomfort of sleeping in a car?

Because I have gone NOWHERE in so long, I booked the Hyatt Regency at the Orlando Airport. My friend arrives from overseas late at night on the Thursday, so I booked two nights. You really can't beat the convenience, although it is a splurge. The last time I stayed at the Embassy Suites Orlando Airport. The 'suites' have two rooms and two TVs, a fridge and a microwave. Free breakfast. Near some shopping/restaurants. The shuttle worked great (there is a 'shuttle bay' downstairs at the airport and they tell you which 'gate' they will be parked at) but it's still a shuttle. Did stay at a hotel near the port for a Carnival cruise (never again) which did have free parking for the week and a shuttle to the ship. Can't remember the name - there are a lot of options.

I love staying at disney world hotels the night before. We usually swim in the pools (disney pools are incredible) on arrival day and then do a character breakfast the morning before the cruise. Sometimes we’ll stay two nights and squeeze in a day at the parks before the cruise too!

For the 10 Florida cruises we've stayed in Port Orange (just south of Daytona Beach) as we drive down from Virginia the day before. Up early (7-ish), on the road by 9:30 or so, an hour drive to the port and we're usually arriving as they lift the cone to open up the parking deck. Lots of choices in Daytona and it's not a far drive at all from the port

We're flying in to Orlando the night before our August 6, 2022 cruise on Disney Fantasy..
Is it better to stay in Orlando or Port Canaveral?
Any recommendations for hotel or transport!
We like to stay at the MCO (airport) Hyatt. It is a very attractive and comfortable hotel with good food and service, and it's extremely convenient. Really pleasant to have a nice place to wash up and rest between the flight and the cruise. You can book a runway view room and have a nice (and silent) view of airplanes taking off and landing.

You can (or at least you could pre-Covid) arrange for them to take your bags directly from your hotel room to a Disney transfer bus, if you'll be using Disney transfers. You just go downstairs and a have a short walk to get to the transfer bus area in the morning. So easy!

Last edited:
If you don't want to sleep in a hotel room . . . I'm thinking being on a ship with a few thousand other people might be even more concerning??
Yes but remember, 95% of passengers and 98% of crew will be vaccinated onboard. That is more than enough for herd immunity and I am not missing my Cruise! We are trying to minimize risk for the ENTIRE trip and looking at where we can adjust. Port adventures are another area we are looking... but with sensible precautions a trip to the Beach should and short shuttle bus should be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter