when your child is celebrating a birthday away at college....

When I was in college, it was exciting to just get mail. I went to a small private school and we had this loooong walk to the mailbox. Finding something in your mailbox was such a reward for that long walk, LOL! A card would be great, but something homemade....a real treat not to eat college cafeteria food. By the way, no one ever sent me any care packages :( when my kids are in college I will definitely make up for that by sending them lots of treats!

I would send a birthday box, with a lot of her favorite things all wrapped up. Include cookies if you baked her special cookies, something she may remember from childhood memories! If the box is big enough you could put a helium balloon inside it (once the box is a certain size the postage isn't much more). She may be homesick since it's near the beginning of the year so a lot of little things from home may help.

I am guessing that she might be turning 18? A big deal and the reality is that that first week of dorm life will be hard for many of the freshmen in her dorm.
Maybe you could talk to her room mate(S). Maybe leave her gifts with her (small size) and leave her money for cake, pizza and balloons are all of those in her suit , or a few friends at least. Maybe you could face time her? I know she is an adult but she is still your baby and this is all new to both of you.

I went to college in Texas when my parents lived in Phoenix, AZ. My mom would always just send me a special box with my favorite brownies, a few gifts (wrapped, which made it seem more special) and cards from my family members and my dog :) luckily my and my fathers birthday fell fairly close to spring break so we were occasionally able to celebrate them both then, but otherwise I usually got a gift card to a favorite restaurant to use there in my college town in lieu of a birthday dinner with my parents.

During the "What will you celebrate?" year my mom actually went to one of the mall things Disney had, got a balloon and an envelope, and sent it to me overnight in a big box so when I opened it up the balloon came floating out just like in the commercials! That was a pretty awesome thing I remember, and unusual :)

When I was in college, my mother would send me a cake on my birthday. She would bake it in one of those disposable foil pans, wrap it up well, and send it along with a tub of frosting and some sprinkles or other decorations. So it was "some assembly required, since I had to frost it myself! LOL But I loved it, and she continued to do it until I had children and then they became the center of her universe and I was just an afterthought!!:rotfl2: (totally joking, she did continue to send me stuff after I had kids, but she did a lot more for the kids!)

My DD loved the ones I sent her.

I also ordered her cupcakes in Mason Jars from Wicked Good Cupcakes for Valentine's Day. A little pricier but they traveled really well and my DD said they were HUGE!

Well, no college aged kids yet but I do remember having my parents send me flowers and/or balloon arrangements and a card sent with cash. We would talk everyday anyways and since I was only a few hours away I would get to go home once a month and during my birthday month we would have birthday cake and go out to eat then.
But, you should be ok with a card and some extra cash I mean what college student wouldn't. Like that or just had a thought maybe one of those dinner & a movie combo gift cards in a little box filled with some jumbo sized candies and some microwave popcorn? Maybe add some pref-filled balloons for the "packing" Or maybe an Edible Arrangement?

My DD loved the ones I sent her.

I also ordered her cupcakes in Mason Jars from Wicked Good Cupcakes for Valentine's Day. A little pricier but they traveled really well and my DD said they were HUGE!

So - I am just plain curious - what does it cost to ship a cupcake? Those look awesome!!! (And yes - I tried to get this info online, but I'm never keen on putting a "pretend order' with my credit card number just to find out he shipping.)

What an awesome idea!

I am guessing that she might be turning 18? A big deal and the reality is that that first week of dorm life will be hard for many of the freshmen in her dorm.
Maybe you could talk to her room mate(S). Maybe leave her gifts with her (small size) and leave her money for cake, pizza and balloons are all of those in her suit , or a few friends at least. Maybe you could face time her? I know she is an adult but she is still your baby and this is all new to both of you.

Maybe it's just me but unless the room mate was a friend from home I wouldn't rely on a new roommate - someone I don't know/someone my child will barely know/who will barely know my child to make their day special. Who knows her DD and the roommate may not get along or they may end up trading with someone else within a couple of days. It's certainly been known to happen. Then where would she be on the actual birthday.

OP- I'd definitely go with the package of special yummies from home and/or a cake. Oldest DS is away from home in WV at the Boy Scout Jamboree for two weeks. I mailed him a care package with cookies to share (they can't keep food in their tents overnight), one of those Girl Scout Candy bars which he was begging me to try and a favorite magazine and he was thrilled.

My parents always sent money in a card or told me to take some friends out to dinner on the emergency credit card they gave me.

I would not drive up and meet her with stuff unless she asks. Yes it's how you did it at home but she is tryin to establish herself away from home and what you did at home may not be appreciated at college

The first year my daughter was away (too far to travel) I called Publix and ordered her a small cake, prepaid, complete with the Little Mermaid on top and then told her she had "something to pick up". She loved it :)

I have a friend who has a baking business that specializes in far away gifts. She started sending baked goods to college kids when her own daughter went away. And now it's her business.

I'll PM you the link to her site.
Oh, that would be a perfect retirement job for me!

Seriously: Does she need any type of health department "rating" to do this?

I remember several of my friends getting a "birthday in a box" from their parents. Cookies, candy, balloons (to blow up) and some other random stuff from dollar store/party city kind of place. We played with the balloons for HOURS! That kind of stuff can be a good ice breaker, too if she's still meeting new people. My mom always sent huge amount of goodies so that I could use food to make friends (it worked).

Ditto.

I'd probably get a USPS flat rate box and fill it with goodies.

Birthdays for adults aren't a big deal in my family either -- but I've never known a college kid to be upset about a care package. Sharing goodies from care packages was one of the primary ways we bonded on my hall in my freshman dorm.

A lot of colleges have care package programs that are usually only advertised around finals but are available year-round for birthdays and other holidays.

Those can get expensive though and aren't open for much customization even if allergies are an issue. So with that said, a cute birthday card with something cute inside is more than enough. Usually friends and roommates help make a huge deal of birthdays--many people in my dorm would decorate their doors with balloons and streamers on their roommate's birthday.

Yes, I remember in college it was all about celebrating with friends. Sneaking into decorate dorm rooms with streamers and balloons (jumping out of closets to yell surprise!), drawing with chalk a huge birthday message on the cement outside the dorm, taking them off campus for a dinner somewhere fun, or dressing them up with a silly hat to go eat in the cafeteria.

I honestly don't remember what my parents did...mailed a gift, called me? But I am sure a nice care package with a favorite baked treat and a special card would make your child very happy. Is this a girl? Maybe a flower delivery? Maybe one of those cards where you can record a message.

Google for things around the school. DS's school has a place that delivers fresh baked warm cookies directly to the dorm room. There are also a couple of places that will customize gift baskets and deliver. Most college towns have lots of places that specialize in students and birthdays.

So - I am just plain curious - what does it cost to ship a cupcake? Those look awesome!!! (And yes - I tried to get this info online, but I'm never keen on putting a "pretend order' with my credit card number just to find out he shipping.)

What an awesome idea!

I honestly cannot remember the shipping cost. It could not have been super outrageous because I hate to pay large shipping costs lol. I did the ground shipping because they come from Boston and she is in Philly for school so the mailing time was not too long. I am thinking shipping was $8 but not more than $10 for sure because I would not pay that much lol.

I remember I ordered her the Wicked Good, National Security Velvet, Bodacious Blondie, and Peanut Butter varieties. She said they were all really good and they lasted her over a week because of the size. And she is a big cake lover. Give them a call and see if you can get a shipping quote over the phone.

Oh yeah and I asked DD to save the jars for me so I could reuse for jam. She said she wanted to keep them because they have cute little sayings on them.

I need help!

How did you celebrate your child's birthday when they are away at college?

And of course, it needs to be somewhat economical / on a budget -- I can't fly up for the day or anything like that.

We will be able to visit a different weekend, just not on actual birthday.

Any advice? What did you do with your kids? All ideas (especially budget) welcome!

Thanks!

Our eldest turned 19 last year while away at college. I sent a care package with 19 different items including homemade brownies, store bought snacks to keep in her dorm, bubbles, mascara, lip gloss and an Amazon gift card. Put it all in on of those flat rate post office shipping boxes. Her sister and I colored the box and off it went. Arrived morning of her birthday and she was thrilled.

You could always send a bouquet of flowers from a local florist. We did that when we couldn't make her first college band concert that we had originally planned to attend

I turned 18 my first week of college. I got a huge cake. It was indeed an ice breaker. It was homemade and was a treat to all of us. Still friends with many of this evils 20years later!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter