when your child is celebrating a birthday away at college....

Grumpy's Gal

DIS Veteran
I need help!

How did you celebrate your child's birthday when they are away at college?

And of course, it needs to be somewhat economical / on a budget -- I can't fly up for the day or anything like that.

We will be able to visit a different weekend, just not on actual birthday.

Any advice? What did you do with your kids? All ideas (especially budget) welcome!

Thanks!

I lived about 3 hours away while I was at college. My parents never came to visit but they sent me a card and money or a gift. Sometimes we would celebrate the next time they I was at home by going out to dinner. My roommate's parents sent homemade cookies in the mail for her. It probably depends on your kid and what their expectations are. I wouldn't stress over it too much unless your kid is having a difficult time adjusting being away.

seriously? your college aged child can understand that the birthday "celebration" can occur on a day other than their actual birthday. send a card, call and wish a happy birthday, send a facebook greeting, whatever.

Or, maybe you could plan a party at Chuck E Cheeses..

Just joking. Don't stress this one. Making a big deal out of the birthday may be embarasing.

Do you bake? you can make cookies and send? Do you know the RA of the dorm if they live on campus, they could possibly help if you want to get a cake?

My mom sent me Legos (my favorite toy of all time). It was so great because it was all my old ones in a tub. So my roommate and I ended up opening our door and having an open house in our room playing Legos. Someone down the hall got some cupcakes at one point but the Legos were AWESOME. She sent me $ so I could send them back but I kept them all year because before big test or when I needed to work out how to do a paper I would play with my Legos and coloring books. Yes! She sent me coloring books too.

IDK I am a big kid and coloring and Legos always helped me keep the stress level down at school.

but what do they like to do? Do they go to a big university or small?

Check with the school to see if they offer a birthday service. My son's school does. For a certain amount --I think it's $15-20--they will deliver a gift bag to the student filled with treats and surprises. It works well for parents.

Our daughter's birthday fell on a weekend, so we drove up and took her out to eat. It was very low-key.

Our daughter's college has a bakery that will deliver treats straight to dorm rooms. Also, many places just off campus will deliver to the campus. Once in the middle of the semester, I was talking to my daughter on the phone, and she commented that it was raining cats and dogs, and she hoped it'd stop before dinner time. I sent her a pizza (pre-paid, tip already paid), and she was soooo surprised and happy when the guy showed up at her door.

IDK I am a big kid and coloring and Legos always helped me keep the stress level down at school.

I love that. :)

I was 17 when I went to college (I moved 2 states away and then my mom remarried and moved all the way across the country...I was in western WA and she was in Miami) and my birthday is in October, so I had my first birthday well before I had really become accustomed to the whole dorm/college thing. I don't remember exactly what she sent that time (though I do remember her gift before our first finals), but she tended to send homemade (from scratch, as she always did) cookies. The trick to keep them fresh was that she wrapped them in both foil and plastic wrap (I think the plastic wrap was directly around the cookies), then put them in a tin, put the tin in a box, and sent it. They were SO good, and she always made enough to fill the tin so my friends loved her too. She also would make fresh pesto, put it in tupperware-type containers, FREEZE it, wrap it in plastic wrap and foil, then send it by a fast-shipping method to me. I do remember that was for a birthday, during my sophomore year. The friends who had visited my parents over our first Spring Break (see that mention of my mom moving to Miami, LOL) loved her pesto and so loved that birthday. :)

I was NOT a grownup adult in college; I was still very young, and having my birthday made to be like I was still at home was absolutely priceless to me. And, of course, when I went "home" it wasn't home, so there was no getting that back. So having my mom wrap me in hugs from far away, with the homemade stuff she made with love was just the absolute best.

Aw crud, crying. Dang I miss her. If only I had known I wouldn't have her very long, that I'd lose her when I had just turned 30... A good parent can be hard to find. (I know this because the *bad* parent is all I have left) Even from afar you can make them feel loved, and that's a very good thing.

I love that. :)

I was 17 when I went to college (I moved 2 states away and then my mom remarried and moved all the way across the country...I was in western WA and she was in Miami) and my birthday is in October, so I had my first birthday well before I had really become accustomed to the whole dorm/college thing. I don't remember exactly what she sent that time (though I do remember her gift before our first finals), but she tended to send homemade (from scratch, as she always did) cookies. The trick to keep them fresh was that she wrapped them in both foil and plastic wrap (I think the plastic wrap was directly around the cookies), then put them in a tin, put the tin in a box, and sent it. They were SO good, and she always made enough to fill the tin so my friends loved her too. She also would make fresh pesto, put it in tupperware-type containers, FREEZE it, wrap it in plastic wrap and foil, then send it by a fast-shipping method to me. I do remember that was for a birthday, during my sophomore year. The friends who had visited my parents over our first Spring Break (see that mention of my mom moving to Miami, LOL) loved her pesto and so loved that birthday. :)

I was NOT a grownup adult in college; I was still very young, and having my birthday made to be like I was still at home was absolutely priceless to me. And, of course, when I went "home" it wasn't home, so there was no getting that back. So having my mom wrap me in hugs from far away, with the homemade stuff she made with love was just the absolute best.

Aw crud, crying. Dang I miss her. If only I had known I wouldn't have her very long, that I'd lose her when I had just turned 30... A good parent can be hard to find. (I know this because the *bad* parent is all I have left) Even from afar you can make them feel loved, and that's a very good thing.

:hug:

thanks guys for the info. To answer some of the questions, her birthday is mid week so we can't go there. She's very young and her birthday will be in the first week after school starts so she won't know many people at all . Birthdays are a HUGE event at our house and I know she will miss that, so no, not embarassing to celebrate it.

I don't know the RA yet.

I do bake so I will definitely try to send homemade cookies. Great idea about double wrapping! And I will also check and see on campus if they have some bakery to deliver a cake -- thanks for that idea.

I have a friend who has a baking business that specializes in far away gifts. She started sending baked goods to college kids when her own daughter went away. And now it's her business.

I'll PM you the link to her site.

I understood mailing unique (work-intensive) family favorites, but postage for a box of orange colored Rice Krispie treats for fall cost more than the treats. Since anybody can manage to whip up a pan of those, I asked our daughter if she'd rather receive cash. NO! Something made by Mom from home had a high value to her even when it was something very common and simple.

Given how early in the school year your daughter's day is, I suggest small servings of whatever home made treat you send. That way she can share and maybe make some new friends.

My son has been away at college (6 hours) for the last two birthdays. I sent him a dozen cupcakes from Georgetown Cupcakes - from the TLC show DC Cupcakes. You can order online and have them shipped directly to her dorm. They have lots of different flavors and decorations. They package them so they arrive intact and he shared them with his frat brothers. They are alittle pricey. I think it cost as much to ship as the cupcakes themselves. IIRC around $60.00.

I am all about the cake at birthdays. Not just cake...but really good cake. No - I do not make them. DD is 4.5 hours away, so not necessarily a quick trip to see her.

Luckily - it was parent's weekend on DD's birthday this past year - so we picked up a variety of cheesecake slices from a cheesecake bakery close to her campus. This was her first birthday away from home.

Next year - parent's weekend is about 2-weeks before her birthday. Not quite sure what we will do. Although - we went to NYC late last year, and we really enjoyed the cheesecake at Junior's, and they do ship cheesecakes. That might be an option for us for DD's next birthday.

Or another option - not too pricey, 9.99 including shipping:

Birthday cake - $9.99 including shipping

And - I realize that college aged kids might not expect that a birthday might not get celebrated on their exact day - HOWEVER - I have found with my own DD - she truly appreciates the efforts we take to make her feel special - regardless of the size of the care package.

What about having dinner delivered to her dorm? Call a pizza place (or another restaurant) and see if they will deliver if you provide a credit card. Be sure to send plenty, so she will have to invite some people over to help her celebrate. It might help in meeting new people too.

I remember several of my friends getting a "birthday in a box" from their parents. Cookies, candy, balloons (to blow up) and some other random stuff from dollar store/party city kind of place. We played with the balloons for HOURS! That kind of stuff can be a good ice breaker, too if she's still meeting new people. My mom always sent huge amount of goodies so that I could use food to make friends (it worked).

thanks guys for the info. To answer some of the questions, her birthday is mid week so we can't go there. She's very young and her birthday will be in the first week after school starts so she won't know many people at all . Birthdays are a HUGE event at our house and I know she will miss that, so no, not embarassing to celebrate it.

I don't know the RA yet.

I do bake so I will definitely try to send homemade cookies. Great idea about double wrapping! And I will also check and see on campus if they have some bakery to deliver a cake -- thanks for that idea.

Since her birthday is so early in the year when you drive her there can you leave some treats, present etc with a person in charge of the dorm, or her roommate?

seriously? your college aged child can understand that the birthday "celebration" can occur on a day other than their actual birthday. send a card, call and wish a happy birthday, send a facebook greeting, whatever.

Or, maybe you could plan a party at Chuck E Cheeses..

Just joking. Don't stress this one. Making a big deal out of the birthday may be embarasing.

Really? I guess that we just line doing something special for our kids that are away on their birthday. Cookies for engineers, gc for dinner. Not a "necessity" but fun. They've managed not to be too embarrassed....

cookies and care packages! Sounds great!

I didn't mean to offend with my comment about not making a big deal out of a birthday for an adult child. I guess I just didn't realize that people take it so seriously. So, I appologize for offending. In my family, birthdays are acknowledged for children, but for adults it's a card at most. It would be really weird to expect more, or to want more, because it ain't gonna happen. Birthdays are just not that big of deal. Don't get me wrong, I have a great family. I guess we just don't do that.:confused3

Honestly, after reading through these posts, I feel kinda jealous. Will someone make me some cookies next time I get a year older?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter