When to stop dyeing your hair?

I am 48 and have short hair. I tried to stop dying my dark brown hair early this year until someone was quite rude and asked me why i stopped - i am too young to go grey she told me. I have done back to dying it again. I would be not quite 50% grey but close. When I was doing it - I had mixed feelings. 1. I didn't want to look "older" than 48 and 2. I didn't want to look older than 48. It does age you. I am not ready to be that comfortable with 48, 49, 50 lol. Maybe when I am 60-ish.

That person was extremely rude and doesn't know what they're talking about. There are plenty of much younger people whose hair has started turning grey so 48 is definitely not "too young to go grey". I think because the majority of women dye their hair, we don't know what it looks like to grey naturally from a younger age. All we tend to see is dyed hair up until 60s+ and then "old people". I will admit when I was younger, I didn't think people started to get grey hair until they got old. I had no idea that it was the norm for women in their 30s to start to grey because I just never saw it.

I'm also not so sure that your position on grey aging you is necessarily true. If you look at that one article someone posted, many of those women look extremely young to me (like look like teens to early 20s) and their hair is lovely. I don't think it has aged them at all.

I am 48 and have short hair. I tried to stop dying my dark brown hair early this year until someone was quite rude and asked me why i stopped - i am too young to go grey she told me. I have done back to dying it again. I would be not quite 50% grey but close. When I was doing it - I had mixed feelings. 1. I didn't want to look "older" than 48 and 2. I didn't want to look older than 48. It does age you. I am not ready to be that comfortable with 48, 49, 50 lol. Maybe when I am 60-ish.
Gray hair doesn't age you. Bad skin, bad makeup and a bad hair style age you. Hair color does not.

Gray hair doesn't age you. Bad skin, bad makeup and a bad hair style age you. Hair color does not.

LOL I beg to differ - I have an excellent skin care routine and if I'm wearing a hat or headband (or I'm on top of coloring my roots) where my grays are not immediately visible, I'm easily mistaken for 10-15 years younger than I actually am. If I let my roots grow out too much, the gray absolutely belies my age. If you have less than 30% gray then perhaps the gray hair doesn't age you much...but once you get closer to 50+% gray like me, it's another story :)

I dyed my black hair for several years between 40 and 50. Then I stopped and let the silver come in naturally. One day at work as a hospital nurse, it came to my attention that the pharmacy employees always referred to me as “the nurse with the beautiful hair”. I decided to just embrace it and over the years - I’m 58 now - I have had many compliments and people even ask what can they do to get their hair to look like mine! I would never go back to dyeing it!

Never started. I've earned my grays through life experience. My hair is light brown, about half gray scattered throughout, many people compliment me on it, but I don't really care what other people think. But then I don't wear makeup either. Always thought both things were a waste of time and money.

I started dyeing my hair in my late fifties when the gray was starting to show more. I dye my hair about 5 times a year which means I have times when the gray shows up for a while. The gray is mainly in the front around my face and some scattered in the back. I usually dye my hair around the holidays, before I go on vacation, or when I can't stand looking at the gray. I have a good skin care routine. People tell me how nice my skin looks and ask what I do. They think I am younger than my age. So, it is not my skin or makeup that ages me. It is the gray. I will probably keep on dyeing my hair as long as I am able.

I started dyeing my hair in my late fifties when the gray was starting to show more. I dye my hair about 5 times a year which means I have times when the gray shows up for a while. The gray is mainly in the front around my face and some scattered in the back. I usually dye my hair around the holidays, before I go on vacation, or when I can't stand looking at the gray. I have a good skin care routine. People tell me how nice my skin looks and ask what I do. They think I am younger than my age. So, it is not my skin or makeup that ages me. It is the gray. I will probably keep on dyeing my hair as long as I am able.
In most cases, gray hair does age a person. There's a reason the women tend to look younger than the men at high school reunions. Hair dye and makeup.

When to stop dyeing hair? Whenever you feel like it :) People are free to choose whatever hair color they want. It's okay to dye it, it's okay to have grey hair, it's okay to have no hair! It's great to look any which way you want to look. Why people worry about looking younger is beyond me. I've lost too many loved ones at a young age (including a 3 yr old niece) to fret about growing old and looking it. I'm glad I've lived this long, I look my age, even though I dye my hair. I dye my hair because I find it fun to do myself - it's a coppery red with blond streaks. I've looked at all the cool colors out there the high school kids use and want to try some myself. Maybe the deep purple! It does make me laugh when I see the kids with the little purple or light blue hair - it looks like the "old lady" hair we used to joke about!

tis thread is making me hot, women in their 40-50,s who still making sure they got some sexy going on is right in my wheel house

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter