When should I sell? If ever ;-)

ianbikes

Earning My Ears
I bought resale a while ago and the prices for my specifc resort are currently quite a bit higher then when I bought. What would be the spread you would look for before you sell? If you would ever sell at all.

If you see a price where you feel your life would be better with the cash than with the contract, sell.

I think the folks here, if they’re being fully honest with themselves, have so much wrapped up emotionally in their DVC contract that the price to sell is basically unimaginably high - that is too say, they get WAY more happiness out of owning their contract than they’d get for selling it at current prices.

I think the other thing is most people who own DVC want to go to WDW once a year (or more) and would need to replace their ownership with cash rooms, and even with aggressive savings rate assumptions, that would probably in most cases a 50-100% increase from current DVC prices.

Quite an interesting thought. I was actually looking at resale prices last night to see if I should sell my (resort removed) contract and use the funds to buy directly at VGF2. I bought at 90-something per point in early 2020. Recent sales seem to show it’s going for around 130/point now for 150 points. Tempting…

Last edited by a moderator:
I have considered selling a couple contracts but then change my mind. If resale prices cross 200 I may consider selling one contract

The point of timeshare is to use it for vacations. If I'm still using it to take vacations, and I am getting good "value" out of those vacations, then I don't see a need to sell it. If I am ready to stop taking those vacations, or would prefer to vacation elsewhere, then maybe it is time to sell.

If I wanted an investment, I'd buy a low-fee index fund.

If you see a price where you feel your life would be better with the cash than with the contract, sell.
This.
My contract are now worth more than double what I paid for them. I have considered selling, but then I thought the money wouldn't change my life much.
The only thing that would convince me to sell wouldn't be economic, but if I don't want to go to WDW as often as I do. If I switch from 2 trips every three years to one every three years (which I am thinking to do, after all the changes for the worst), I'd certainly sell one of my contracts.

I sold two of my BWV contracts and even after commission, made over $50/point. Of course, the reason was to buy RIV points...both direct and resale. But, I agree...selling makes sense if you really don't see it as being something you would use enough to justify the MF's you are paying and that those fees alone would cover the cost of staying on trips you would use the points from DVC to cover.

A reminder to everyone, please do not mention resorts when you discussing selling. Those can be seen as a For Sale post which are not allowed!

You have to pay tax on the gain... My plan was to rent out my VGF once we outgrow princesses, to maybe hold for grandkids.

I am seriously considering selling my SSR bought in the $90s, based on the changes in the way WDW is operating. Most importantly, the no APs. SSR is way too close to BLT mathematically (far superior points) for me to like holding it, and I am worried about SAP in general with no APs going forward.

I think you also have to factor in current room prices if you want to continue to vacation at WDW. Any profits will get eaten up quick if you have to subsequently start paying rack rate at a Disney deluxe hotel. Even if Disney started offering discounts at a more consistent rate again room costs are going to eat through your profits pretty fast.

I think many of us have asked ourselves the same question. I personally decided I want to stay at deluxe level hotels while vacationing at Disney but refuse to pay the prices they are asking. So it made the decision pretty easy for me.

I sold two of my BWV contracts and even after commission, made over $50/point. Of course, the reason was to buy RIV points...both direct and resale. But, I agree...selling makes sense if you really don't see it as being something you would use enough to justify the MF's you are paying and that those fees alone would cover the cost of staying on trips you would use the points from DVC to cover.

A reminder to everyone, please do not mention resorts when you discussing selling. Those can be seen as a For Sale post which are not allowed!
What made you sell BWV to buy Riviera instead?

I bought resale a while ago and the prices for my specifc resort are currently quite a bit higher then when I bought. What would be the spread you would look for before you sell? If you would ever sell at all.

I think it's unlikely we ever sell, but we may stop using our points personally and rent them out to family or through a rental company. The way I see it, worst case rental income will pay the dues and a little extra, so no real point in getting rid of it if it isn't costing us anything to keep owning it.

This may be our last trip in June for a while, kids are a little older, WDW is getting way more expensive, and there's just a lot of different places we can spend our vacation time and money. That's OK though, things change as people go through life. In 15 years or so when I have grandkids those points will be there to start making new memories with another generation.

If we did sell, I wouldn't care about the spread. It would be because we're never going back to WDW, and we have no use for the contract anymore.

We just sold one of our dvc contracts and bought a couple of back to back beach front timeshares in the Redington beach area. With the pandemic, and Disney‘s new direction and our pending retirement we decided that we too needed a new direction.

What made you sell BWV to buy Riviera instead?

I fell in love with RIV to start, but we were buying with our adult children and because of that, felt that the extra years…28…was a huge advantag to us.

Fortunately, I had paid $52 and $55/point for BWV in 2012 so and made a great profit (netted over $50/pt after all selling fees) that helped offset the new cost, which made the dexcision easier,

Also, for several trips, I began having trouble with getting SV studios for travel, ended up with pool view anyway so the savings and chart of BWV wasn’t as great as it was when we bought.

We knew, in the end, that RIV would meet our needs and owning gave us a great shot at SV rooms…which were similar in price to pool view at BWV..not to mention the larger size of srudios with the split bath.

We also had tons of SSR for SAP and knew that getting into BWV when anyone wants to stay there would probably be doable at 7 months.

Best decision!

Last edited:
I fell in love with RIV to start, but we were buying with our adult children and because of that, felt that the extra years…28…was a huge advantag to us.

Fortunately, I had paid $52 and $55/point for BWV in 2012 so and made a great profit (netted over $50/pt after all selling fees) that helped offset the new cost, which made the dexcision easier,

Also, for several trips, I began having trouble with getting SV studios for travel, ended up with pool view anyway so the savings and chart of BWV wasn’t as great as it was when we bought.

We knew, in the end, that RIV would meet our needs and owning gave us a great shot at SV rooms…which were similar in price to pool view at BWV..not to mention the larger size of srudios with the split bath.

We also had tons of SSR for SAP and knew that getting into BWV when anyone want to stay there wouod probably be doable at 7 months.

Best decision!
Thank you

What would be the spread you would look for before you sell? If you would ever sell at all.
As long as I'm using my DVC points every year then there's no sense in selling. If I ever get to the point where I don't use the points then I'd sell regardless of how the points may have appreciated since I bought in.

The point of timeshare is to use it for vacations. If I'm still using it to take vacations, and I am getting good "value" out of those vacations, then I don't see a need to sell it. If I am ready to stop taking those vacations, or would prefer to vacation elsewhere, then maybe it is time to sell.

If I wanted an investment, I'd buy a low-fee index fund.
This right here, 100%.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter