When is "too soon" to put up Christmas yard decorations?

We live in an HOA and are indifferent towards it. The rules are generally reasonable and since we always adhere to them, we literally never have to deal with the board or management company. We also recognize the value of it - its nice to not have to worry about your neighbor parking a 50' Winnebago in their yard, or have political signs all over the street, or have a wood carving statue with a skull on it in the front yard like the street over from us. It does help everyone to maintain a nice look of the neighborhood which helps property values. The ones most vocal in opposition of the HOA are the ones who break the rules. And frankly, if you don't like the rules, don't move to an HOA. A person is within their right to review the bylaws before a purchase, and its incumbent on the homeowner to do their due diligence before making such a big decision.

With regard to the article, I personally wouldn't care if my neighbor put up their decorations two weeks earlier than they were supposed to. I think the bigger issue is when people leave them up for months after. But I understand that people can't get passes on the rules - it needs to be enforced to have an effective HOA, or else the cost is for nothing. So the homeowners should have really just adhered to the rule on that from the start.

I'm not sure if you're being serious or not, but I've had no problem with ours. They're very relaxed.

Sorry. I was being dead serious. The concept of an HOA is horrifically wrong, IMO, so to me they're all bad no matter how relaxed they are. Mine is quite tame compared to others I've been in, but I still think they need to go away. The concept of someone telling me anything about the house that I pay every penny for makes absolutely no sense.

We live in an HOA and are indifferent towards it. The rules are generally reasonable and since we always adhere to them, we literally never have to deal with the board or management company. We also recognize the value of it - its nice to not have to worry about your neighbor parking a 50' Winnebago in their yard, or have political signs all over the street, or have a wood carving statue with a skull on it in the front yard like the street over from us. It does help everyone to maintain a nice look of the neighborhood which helps property values. The ones most vocal in opposition of the HOA are the ones who break the rules. And frankly, if you don't like the rules, don't move to an HOA. A person is within their right to review the bylaws before a purchase, and its incumbent on the homeowner to do their due diligence before making such a big decision.

With regard to the article, I personally wouldn't care if my neighbor put up their decorations two weeks earlier than they were supposed to. I think the bigger issue is when people leave them up for months after. But I understand that people can't get passes on the rules - it needs to be enforced to have an effective HOA, or else the cost is for nothing. So the homeowners should have really just adhered to the rule on that from the start.
There is no HOA in our subdivision, which is about 60ish houses with half acre lots. Our neighborhood is neat and well-kept, even without an HOA. If you don't have pride in what you have, an HOA isn't going to make any difference.

There is no HOA in our subdivision, which is about 60ish houses with half acre lots. Our neighborhood is neat and well-kept, even without an HOA. If you don't have pride in what you have, an HOA isn't going to make any difference.
But no one can control who their neighbors are. There's always a chance an oddball or slob will move in - even in an HOA. But at least with an HOA in place, the buyer is put on notice and there is recourse in the form of fines and liens.

Sorry. I was being dead serious. The concept of an HOA is horrifically wrong, IMO, so to me they're all bad no matter how relaxed they are. Mine is quite tame compared to others I've been in, but I still think they need to go away. The concept of someone telling me anything about the house that I pay every penny for makes absolutely no sense.
But you live in one anyway? I honestly don't mean for that to come off as snarky, but to live in an HOA is optional. I understand in some states they are commonplace or even majority. But if the owners are like-minded and the HOA is well run, they can and do offer nice amenities and help with property values, which is their intended purpose. I was in agreement with the bylaws before I moved in, and I like the fact that my neighborhood will continue to maintain a certain appearance because of those bylaws.

Normally I do thanksgiving but because we will be out of the country until December mine are up inside , we have a HOA and can’t do outside yet , but I am fine with our HOA .. it’s a nice neighborhood and most of the rules keep it that way . I knew I was buying in a HOA area before and follow the rules which are pretty standard and make sense .
As far when it’s to soon I would remember that not all countries have thanksgiving and go from Halloween to Christmas :)

So a group of people shouldn't be allowed to enter agreements of their own free will? That's all an HOA is.

I don't hate on anyone's spirit. Since we have Thanksgiving in the U.S. we have to endure everyone screaming about waiting to start Christmas until AFTER that. Let people have their fun.

Before we started traveling for Thanksgiving we would have our lights up that night. Now we wait to decorate until we get home. I have too many fragile things and 2 wild inside cats.

I did start listening to Christmas music yesterday. :)

But you live in one anyway? I honestly don't mean for that to come off as snarky, but to live in an HOA is optional. I understand in some states they are commonplace or even majority. But if the owners are like-minded and the HOA is well run, they can and do offer nice amenities and help with property values, which is their intended purpose. I was in agreement with the bylaws before I moved in, and I like the fact that my neighborhood will continue to maintain a certain appearance because of those bylaws.

Yes, I do. Every parent has to make choices on what's best for their kids. Where we live, nearly every community is HOA. If we want one without an HOA, we'd have to live in a house that's not part of a neighborhood (think along a main road or in the middle of nowhere). We wanted our kids to live somewhere that friends are within walking, bike ride, or 2 minute car ride away. So here we are. It wasn't what DW and I would want for ourselves. HOAs can claim whatever "intent" they wish, it's still trying to put controls on the piece of property and home I purchased with my own money. Tell me what tree I can plant in my yard? Tell me what I can or can't have in my driveway? Tell me what Christmas decorations I can have and when? Nope. Not gonna happen. As I said, I'm lucky in that this one is quite lenient with Christmas decorations, and I don't want them up too early or too late either, so that works out. But I've gotten a letter or two from them about our garage door being open, or a weed in our lawn. You can guess what happened with those letters. :ssst:

Yes, I do. Every parent has to make choices on what's best for their kids. Where we live, nearly every community is HOA. If we want one without an HOA, we'd have to live in a house that's not part of a neighborhood (think along a main road or in the middle of nowhere). We wanted our kids to live somewhere that friends are within walking, bike ride, or 2 minute car ride away. So here we are. It wasn't what DW and I would want for ourselves. HOAs can claim whatever "intent" they wish, it's still trying to put controls on the piece of property and home I purchased with my own money. Tell me what tree I can plant in my yard? Tell me what I can or can't have in my driveway? Tell me what Christmas decorations I can have and when? Nope. Not gonna happen. As I said, I'm lucky in that this one is quite lenient with Christmas decorations, and I don't want them up too early or too late either, so that works out. But I've gotten a letter or two from them about our garage door being open, or a weed in our lawn. You can guess what happened with those letters. :ssst:

Well look at you sticking it to the man. By your own admission there is some value to living in an area subject to covenants and restrictions - in this case it is what is best for your kids. You further admit that you had a choice to accept the rules and regulations and still you retain the choice to sell and move.

Yet you continue to be the martyr living under the oppression of jack-booted thugs. Your position is so absurd that there really is no reasoning with you so I wonder why I am bothering to weigh in here. Nevertheless, you keep on throwing away/burning/using as toilet paper those letters and serving as an inspirational example for all of the oppressed people in the world. Attica! Attica!

But that's the concession you made. No one made you buy that house in that neighborhood. It was still your choice. Our HOA makes sure streets are plowed, common areas are taken care of, street lights are fixed, and the like. You don't like whatever specific rule? Have you tried to work to change it? Do your neighbors feel the same way? A "good" HOA (and yes, they are out there despite what you may think) has procedures in place on how to change the bylaws.

Well look at you sticking it to the man. By your own admission there is some value to living in an area subject to covenants and restrictions - in this case it is what is best for your kids. You further admit that you had a choice to accept the rules and regulations and still you retain the choice to sell and move.

Yet you continue to be the martyr living under the oppression of jack-booted thugs. Your position is so absurd that there really is no reasoning with you so I wonder why I am bothering to weigh in here. Nevertheless, you keep on throwing away/burning/using as toilet paper those letters and serving as an inspirational example for all of the oppressed people in the world. Attica! Attica!

Wow, you sure told me, didn't ya? At least we agree on one thing, you and I both wonder why you're weighing in here. See, we can all get along if we try. ;)

But that's the concession you made. No one made you buy that house in that neighborhood. It was still your choice. Our HOA makes sure streets are plowed, common areas are taken care of, street lights are fixed, and the like. You don't like whatever specific rule? Have you tried to work to change it? Do your neighbors feel the same way? A "good" HOA (and yes, they are out there despite what you may think) has procedures in place on how to change the bylaws.

Yes, as I said previously, it's the choice we made. I'm glad we did, it has been good for the kids. However, I don't see drawing the line between that and the HOA. I grew up in a 900+ home community without an HOA and things were just as nice as they are here. Street lights got fixed, we had tennis courts, etc.... I'm sure there are ways to change bylaws and such, I'm sure you're right. This community is also about 900+ houses, so I'd have to imagine it would take quite a bit to change them. Not something I've got the time or interest in. It is possible to dislike the concept of an HOA and still manage to live in one. I'm not painting my house hot pink anyway, so we probably wouldn't run afoul of whatever their bylaws are. However, I do chuckle at the concept of sending a letter because I forgot to close my garage door.

In gated, secured communities there are Home Owners Associations that have rules for how they want things to run on the property. Many of them include what you can put up outside (yes, on your own property).'

When you buy into a place that has an HOA, you agree to abide by the rules, and any decisions that the HOA board makes.
Correct on your second statement but on your first...it's nowhere near gated, secured communities. Lots of HOAs around the country are in non-gated communities. Like tons of them.

Our HOA has already put up and lit the lights at the neighborhood entrance.
Ours too but the lights won't get turned on until after Thanksgiving. The landscape company that the HOA contracts with does quite a lot of places (both private, business and HOA) so there's no real set schedule to when they install the lights on the trees along the main road to the neighborhood-it's kinda when they fit it in. But installed and turned on are def. different.

Our HOA is 60days from November 15th so IMO a decent chunk of time. They really aren't that strict on the exact date moreso on the turned part. Weather is kinda a 50/50 shot so sometimes we have put up the lights a few days early because it'll be snowing or icy or rainy when the 15th or after occurs and I prefer to have it up as soon as I can. But we never turn them on until the 15th.

This year my husband won't be home to install the lights on the outside until Thanksgiving so it'll be the longest time for us in the 5 years we've lived here..kinda sad about that.

On the other hand lots of people get their lights professionally done so while I haven't seen those homes (which you can usually tell who had it professionally done and who has done it themselves) with the lights installed really early but I have seen them still up (but not turned on) past January 15th. Usually reminders on the social networking site are done, but lots of consideration for weather too.

My kids were pointing out yesterday how many houses we drove by had lighted christmas trees visible through the windows. I saw a few outside decorations, and that didn't surprise me, but I was surprised people have indoor christmas trees up already.
We often put up the outside lights a week or two before Thanksgiving, trying to beat the snow. That isn't going to happen this year, we already have several inches. We don't usually light them until black friday. I put up the few other outside decorations after thanksgiving.
One of our neighbors never did take down her decorations from last christmas. Wreaths all along the fence and some red and white garland. It made me smile walking by in July. Now, it looks normal again. I wonder if she will take them down this year, or if they are now permanent? I will kind of miss them if she takes them down.

I think anytime around now is fine. I'd say not before November 1st, unless you are doing Nightmare Before Christmas decorations - then it's all good! 🎃:santa:
Hmm, Nightmare before Christmas, gives me an idea. I'm going to set out tacky Christmas yard inflatables in October and set up a bunch of Ghosts and Goblins beating up Santa with a portable radio yelling, "It's not even Halloween yet!"

I think any time between January 1st and December 31st is too soon to put up yard decorations. It's all so tacky, gaudy, and ugly, but I'm not out there like others forcing my opinion on what others want to do so there's nothing I can or would do but look at all the gaudiness.

I'm not sure if you're being serious or not, but I've had no problem with ours. They're very relaxed.
An HOA collecting dues for neighborhood maintenance, the community pool, road conditions, etc. would be fine. 1 single rule about what I am or am not allowed to do with my money and my property, then yes, the HOA is bad. I have never heard of any HOA that didn't have rules, thus all HOAs I assume to be bad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!