When do you think the border will reopen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My prediction is that they will extend through August As a minimum to reduce summer vacation travel ( with kids back to school)

I received a reply from BMO's travel insurance carrier, Allianz Global. Here is their reply on coverage for COVID-19:

Dear _________,

Thank-you for contacting Allianz Global Assistance.

We have reviewed your e-mail and at this current time there is no exclusions with regards to pandemics within the BMO Air Miles World Elite MasterCard.

However, there are exclusions and stipulations with regards to travel advisories that should be considered when planning future travel.

Medical Exclusions:

The insurance does not cover, provide services or pay claims resulting from:
  • Your travel to a country for which the Canadian government has issued a Travel Advisory in writing prior to Your Departure Date.
For trip cancellation benefits to apply with respects to COVID 19:
  • A Travel Advisory needs to be issued by the Canadian Government for tour ticketed destination after you book Your Trip. Therefore if you were to purchase a trip now but later decide to cancel due to COVID19 it would not be eligible for you to claim for the expenses. This is due to the fact that as posted on https://travel.gc.ca/, there is a worldwide travel advisory.
The current posted advisory is as follows:
  • "Official travel advisories are in effect: Avoid non-essential travel outside Canada and avoid all travel on cruise ships until further notice."
Should you have any further questions or concerns do not hesitate to contact our offices directly. We are available 24 hours 7 days a week at 1-877-704-0341 within North America or by collect call to 519-741-0782.

Note: Please be advised that any benefits addressed in this email are pending verification of coverage and the full terms and conditions of your insurance policy.

Looks like I would be fully insured for our December trip since we did book our trip on January 3, 2020, way before this all started. Good to know that the only stipulation is the Travel Advisory. Once that is lifted, regardless of COVID-19, looks like cardholders would have full coverage. Although I think the advisory will be in place until a vaccine is produced.
Thank you! I had not thought about using my MC insurance. We managed to change our cruise dates with no fees and AM's assures us that we will have no issues with refunding of those flights however we have flights from T.O. to Ft Lauderdale that AirTransit told me were non refundable and no changes. I figured we were just out the $900 but I just called the 800 number you listed above and they feel I will get that money back through them. Looks like I may have a bit of paper work to do but no biggie, nothing better to do right now anyways.
Again, thanks!

[
That is just bizarre. Good to know but bizarre. The thing about travelling to the US, do you really want to go there given all that is going on.:confused3

To tell you the truth, I am pretty turned off to going to the States anytime soon and even into the future. We always go at least twice a year to different US cities.
I’ve been looking into a lot of other countries instead.

Lets face it "We the north" better just get used to our winter holidays in the cold and snow. We're not getting south of the "49th parallel" any time soon.
Sure you can. I'm near the 42nd parallel here, and still in Canada. Most people think Canada = North, and are shocked when I pull out the maps to show about a 1/3 of the States, and dang near almost all of Europe is actually farther north than here.

I was wondering where the warmest place in Canada is in March, Windsor ON or Victoria BC?
Here in Windsor I wouldn't call it the 'warmest' place, but we do on occasion have some pretty mild Marches. I've know families (in past years, not this year) that have gone south to Florida for march break, and it was warmer here than it was there. Problem is it's unpredicatable. I've seen it swing from near room temp to below freezing to back near room temp around here in those months. I'm now really glad that thermostats have gotten smarter, because we've had to run the heat at night and the AC during the day sometimes.

I haven't been there, but from all reports though, despite it possibly being really nice here, BC's probably your safer bet.

I'm disappointed Windsor didn't make the list. We're definitely way warmer here than in Toronto. The 'snow belt' is essentially north of London. Around here, it might get cold in the thick of winter, but it rarely gets really nasty.

Sure you can. I'm near the 42nd parallel here, and still in Canada. Most people think Canada = North, and are shocked when I pull out the maps to show about a 1/3 of the States, and dang near almost all of Europe is actually farther north than here.

Here in Windsor I wouldn't call it the 'warmest' place, but we do on occasion have some pretty mild Marches. I've know families (in past years, not this year) that have gone south to Florida for march break, and it was warmer here than it was there. Problem is it's unpredicatable. I've seen it swing from near room temp to below freezing to back near room temp around here in those months. I'm now really glad that thermostats have gotten smarter, because we've had to run the heat at night and the AC during the day sometimes.

I haven't been there, but from all reports though, despite it possibly being really nice here, BC's probably your safer bet.

I'm disappointed Windsor didn't make the list. We're definitely way warmer here than in Toronto. The 'snow belt' is essentially north of London. Around here, it might get cold in the thick of winter, but it rarely gets really nasty.
I love Windsor just for the sole reason it's only a 2 hour drive to the best theme park.

My reference to "49th parallel" (in quotes) was instead of saying the "border". I am well aware that parts of southern Ontario are further south than northern parts of California but thanks for mentioning that for those who didn't know.

My reference to "49th parallel" (in quotes) was instead of saying the "border". I am well aware that parts of southern Ontario are further south than northern parts of California but thanks for mentioning that for those who didn't know.
Opps, sorry, missed the quotes reference, and your location. Of course in Ottawa you're aware of parts of Canada being south of the 49, you're south of the 49 there. :o

Working with international teams, I get misconceptions about Canada all the time. One that really stuck with me though wasn't work related, it was when we were at an RV Rally in Goshen, IN. I was talking to one couple, and they were amazed that we would come "all the way from Canada" to get there. They had apparently taken 3 days to get there from Texas, and wanted to know how long it took us.... We were there in about 4 hours. It's only 337 Kms between our house and the fairgrounds. :D

Without looking at the link, I can put my vote in for Victoria, BC! I grew up in Ottawa and moved here to Victoria in 1992, best decision of my life. Lots of wonderful things to do here, especially if you like getting outdoors. :)
I was thinking Victoria. A few years ago the temps in Orlando dropped during March break, we were at the Canada Pavilion waiting to see the film and the hostess was from Victoria and told the crowd that it was 10 degrees warmer back home in BC!

Just announced that the border closure has been extended til July 21st. I imagine they will keep extending it til the U.S. gets their cases more under control.

Seems some Americans have figured out a " loop hole " and came into Banff to vacation without any quarantine time. People there were quite upset over this. They said at the boarder that they were going to Alaska...but hence they were not. :( So disappointing that they would do that. Especially given how quick out governments were to act and shut down to flatten the curve....and we Canadians did our part and stayed home. I'm frustrated and angered by their irresponsible actions :furious: :scared: just for them to get a holiday. While us Canadians are rethinking our vacations south and how we don't want to bring the virus back here while their numbers are sooo quickly rising.

Just when we thought we might be able to go into Banff and spend some time without fighting the many many busloads of tourists and all those who choose to drive.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/the-cana...are-still-coming-through-here-s-how-1.4980589

My understanding of how they are enforcing it, is for land crossings only. It sounds like no one is stopping you from flying to the U.S., and if you are a citizen, they can’t stop you from returning. You are still subject to 14 day quarantine upon return.

Westjet just announced they will be flying to LA, Vegas, Atlanta, Orlando, and New York beginning at the end of June.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter