When do you fill up your gas tank?

Whenever I drive it tends to be long distances as I'm in Sales and I cover the state. So I generally look at where my tank is and where I'm going. If I'm going to Miami, I always fill up here because the gas is cheaper. But if I go to Orlando, gas is cheaper there, so I try to fill up there if possible. I also like to make sure I have enough gas in my tank to make it to my destination so that I don't need to pull off and try to find a place along the way.

If I'm just driving around town and I have less than a half tank, I usually will fill it up just so when I need to make my next long trip I'm already full.

wow, i didn't know that the a/c runs on gas either! i thought it was the battery. i don't mind having the windows down but i thought that the resistance created uses more gas. :drive:

I don't really plan it but seems that I fill up on Saturdays. Just works out that way.

The A/C is powered by the engine so essentially it runs on gas. The more the engine works the more fuel it uses.

Gas light all the way, baby! And even beyond! :drive:

I'm cheap when it comes to paying these gas prices. I'd rather spend that money on clothes, lol, so will push my gas tank to its limits, lol.

We will up in between 1/3 and 1/4 of a tank. We always fill it up completely. We both grew up in this area and know that storms can and will happen at any time and no electric. Plus my husband was taught that your car will pick up the sludge in the bottom of the tank if you don't fill it at 1/4 of a tank left.

Now I said WE. The WE is my husband and I. My daughter must think we have a gas fairy because she has never filled it up!

I also only pay with cash and I try to use the same gas station every time. I usually coast in on fumes. The gas warning light for me goes on with 50 miles left, with 25 miles left the Odometer changes to "Lo Fuel", I then watch my GPS for "Miles to Destination" and keep fingers and toes crossed.

I pretty much have always filled up at 1/2 a tank. Back when I was working that was pretty much every day, but now its once a week!

My DH has to fill up with gas and propane, so he wont go beyond 1/4 as it costs so much to fill two tanks, the regular gas is about every two days. The propane is an iffy thing. It may be every other day.

I fill up at a half tank the vast majority of the time, seems less expensive that way :lmao: I always fill up until full now...never used to.

I usually fill up twice a week that way...sometimes I can go longer. My record is two weeks with no fill ups when instead of my usual 70 mile, 4 day a week commute, all I had was a 16 mile, three day a week commute :cheer2:

I freak out if my tank goes below 1/4 tank...my mom has a rule that you must fill up at a 1/4 tank because she doesn't want to hear it if you run out of gas and get stuck! :rotfl:

I use fuel points to get a discount on gas, so in order to get the best discount I let it get down low -- 1/4th a tank.

The AC doesn't run on gas. what causes the lower MPG is that the AC compressor motor is powered by the accessory belt. When the compressor motor is engaged, it puts more strain on the engine to turn the accessory belt, hence lower MPG

Found a video that explains http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEyun_O35b4

The A/C is powered by the engine so essentially it runs on gas. The more the engine works the more fuel it uses.

Thank you! I never knew that. I figured that the a/c runs on the battery, the car running charges the battery, so it is free! :rolleyes1

Filling more frequently is like dollar cost averaging same as investing. In the long run it will $ave dollar$.

Filling when it is cooler outside is false. http://newfrugality.com/top-5-gas-saving-myths/

Allowing your reserves to get too low can be VERY COSTLY. The fuel pump is in the gas tank. The fuel pump is COOLED by the gas in the tank. The fuel pump CAN overheat and fail causing HUNDRED$ of DOLLAR$ in replacement cost.

DFIL always waited for his digital display to show 50 miles to empty. Cost him $600.00 for a new fuel pump!

The fuel pick-up is raised to prevent sludge from entering the pump and even if it did, the filter will stop it.

I fill when the tank is 3/4 full.

Between 1/4 tank and the light going on.
Try to do it at the 1/4 left mark, but it also has to be convenient.

I like to wait until there is less than 1/4 tank left. I think that is mostly because I get a discount from the Giant based on how much I've spent on groceries. Grocery shopping first followed by a fill up. Talk about $ disappearing! :eek:

Allowing your reserves to get too low can be VERY COSTLY. The fuel pump is in the gas tank. The fuel pump is COOLED by the gas in the tank. The fuel pump CAN overheat and fail causing HUNDRED$ of DOLLAR$ in replacement cost.

DFIL always waited for his digital display to show 50 miles to empty. Cost him $600.00 for a new fuel pump!

Eh, benefit of leasing my car, I don't worry about any repairs, all maintenance is covered.

Eh, benefit of leasing my car, I don't worry about any repairs, all maintenance is covered.

But what if it fails as you were rushing to the airport so you didn't miss your flight to get to WDW!!!! :scared1:

I don't generally let the tank get less than 1/2. Count me as another who is fearful of bad weather and the power going out. That has happened several times in my area. I'm also scared of running out and being stuck while angry drivers are honking and yelling! Just a PITA I don't want to have to deal with!

Most of the time when it drops below 1/4. I have fuel perks with Giant Eagle and I hate to waste them by only getting a few gallons. Winter time, I am more careful, if it's very cold I don't let it go much below 1/2 since I parked outside at home. This year I have a garage so I don't have to worry about a really cold car!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter