• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When did your kids start buying their own tickets?

I'm realising just how bizarre my upbringing was.

Not really. I was paying for myself from the time I was 14 years old. I cannot say I think it was a great idea, but it was the way it was.

If that is truly the case, the parents also need to make arrangements so the teen also has the option of not going. It is absolutely unfair to force a minor to pay for part of a family vacation and not give them any other choice.

Honestly, if I couldn't afford to go on vacation without making my minor child chip in, I just wouldn't go.

I cannot say I agree with you. I know a few families who have decided that they all kick in if they want something special like a Disney Vacation. I don't know for sure but I would bet that the discussion that took place within those families gave the kids a choice. WE can d this, and Mom and Dad will pay. If you want to go to Disney, we will need you all to help. I think that there are some children who just have no idea what things cost, and when they ask for an expensive vacation need a wake up call. I also think that there are families whose kids would do chores such as babysit in order to go on a special vacation.

We did not ask our children to pay for vacations. Now, as adults if we invite we pay. If we plan together, we split the bill.

Along the lines of what kids pay, my DGD is 15 and has been "working" since she as very young. She was always given chores that were her responsibility, but there were extra things she was given the opportunity to do. If she was given these chores she was paid. She works all summer long on my husbands farm, and she is paid. The child was and is a saver, so anywhere we go she plans her budget for her spending, which has been her responsibility for about 6 years. My DH rewards saving, so when he discovered that she has been putting all her money in her savings account so that she will have enough money to take her freshman year off when she enters college, he matches her spending budget with the understanding that her spending go into her account. I can say for certain that if this young lady knew that her parents would need some contribution from her in order to take a special trip, she would not think twice about it. I cannot see that she would resent this at all.

Not really. I was paying for myself from the time I was 14 years old. I cannot say I think it was a great idea, but it was the way it was.

I cannot say I agree with you. I know a few families who have decided that they all kick in if they want something special like a Disney Vacation. I don't know for sure but I would bet that the discussion that took place within those families gave the kids a choice. WE can d this, and Mom and Dad will pay. If you want to go to Disney, we will need you all to help. I think that there are some children who just have no idea what things cost, and when they ask for an expensive vacation need a wake up call. I also think that there are families whose kids would do chores such as babysit in order to go on a special vacation.

We did not ask our children to pay for vacations. Now, as adults if we invite we pay. If we plan together, we split the bill.

Along the lines of what kids pay, my DGD is 15 and has been "working" since she as very young. She was always given chores that were her responsibility, but there were extra things she was given the opportunity to do. If she was given these chores she was paid. She works all summer long on my husbands farm, and she is paid. The child was and is a saver, so anywhere we go she plans her budget for her spending, which has been her responsibility for about 6 years. My DH rewards saving, so when he discovered that she has been putting all her money in her savings account so that she will have enough money to take her freshman year off when she enters college, he matches her spending budget with the understanding that her spending go into her account. I can say for certain that if this young lady knew that her parents would need some contribution from her in order to take a special trip, she would not think twice about it. I cannot see that she would resent this at all.
Continuing with your point-- I never resented it at all either. It didn't occur to me that I should. What got me thinking about all of this was how expensive Annual Passes have gotten. I had considered that perhaps the children should start contributing as we had too as kids. Reading the thread showed me how rare this is. Dh feels the children needn't contribute. He prefers that they save for their education expenses. Our solution? No annual passes.

Continuing with your point-- I never resented it at all either. It didn't occur to me that I should. What got me thinking about all of this was how expensive Annual Passes have gotten. I had considered that perhaps the children should start contributing as we had too as kids. Reading the thread showed me how rare this is. Dh feels the children needn't contribute. He prefers that they save for their education expenses. Our solution? No annual passes.

So lets expand on this. You have decided that annual passes are too expensive to justify. Your children feel strongly that this is something that they would like and would be willing to contribute towards. They would earn the money. You would be opposed?

The reason I ask s when my own were young adults, 16,18,20. They wanted a fancy pants TV with all the bells and whistles. DH does not replace TV's until they are dead. I told them if that was really what they wanted, we could split it 4 ways. They did. For us, this was an extra, and not something I would had bought at that time. I felt if they wanted it they needed to contribute.

So lets expand on this. You have decided that annual passes are too expensive to justify. Your children feel strongly that this is something that they would like and would be willing to contribute towards. They would earn the money. You would be opposed?

The reason I ask s when my own were young adults, 16,18,20. They wanted a fancy pants TV with all the bells and whistles. DH does not replace TV's until they are dead. I told them if that was really what they wanted, we could split it 4 ways. They did. For us, this was an extra, and not something I would had bought at that time. I felt if they wanted it they needed to contribute.
No, they aren't emphatic about Annual Passes. We just returned from a ten night no parks trip. They had a blast. They truly enjoy the pools, Community Hall, biking, bowling, movie nights in and going to ESPN to watch the game as much as touring the parks. We've decided together that we will postpone the parks until January 2018. For that trip I will was able to buy 8 day base tickets at a 33% discount. It's a Canadian ticket offer.

If they were emphatic about APs we may have had to consider having them help out with birthday money perhaps.

They are quite content with the plan as it stands.

No, they aren't emphatic about Annual Passes. We just returned from a ten night no parks trip. They had a blast. They truly enjoy the pools, Community Hall, biking, bowling, movie nights in and going to ESPN to watch the game as much as touring the parks. We've decided together that we will postpone the parks until January 2018. For that trip I will was able to buy 8 day base tickets at a 33% discount. It's a Canadian ticket offer.

If they were emphatic about APs we may have had to consider having them help out with birthday money perhaps.

They are quite content with the plan as it stands.

I think this is different from what was first described.

I think upgrading to annual pass is more a choice. Similarly, I could see telling a 14 year old or older you'd cover base tickets but if they want to upgrade to a park hopper or annual pass they need to use there own money. Similarly if you're family typically does one sit down meal a day or they want to have dinner in the castle rather than at 1900 Park Fare they have to cover their own bill. To me having a child/young adult cover desired upgrades (tickets, hotel, meals) is different from saying pitch in or don't go.

I was talking about when a kid is forced to go AND pay for it, and not being given any other choice. I think it's unfair and I stand by that.

I was talking about when a kid is forced to go AND pay for it, and not being given any other choice. I think it's unfair and I stand by that.

That is a whole different set of issues. If a family is in that circumstance that kids are forced to pay for family expenses, there is more going on than chipping in for a vacation.

just wondering. Tickets are so pricey. When did you start asking the kids to pitch in to help with costs? I guess it doesn't just have to be tickets. Could be dining, accommodation, etc.

My oldest is 20, and we still pay for her. I guess my answer would be when they stop living at home, but I might change my mine when they are older and it might depend on their financial situation.

I think your 7yr old sister paying for her airfare is beyond bizarre.

My kids are 13, 11, 11. They have a set of chores they have to do for an allowance. Some of this allowance is for saving, the rest they can do as they wish with it, they would earn nowhere near enough to pay for flights, accom, or a ticket lol.

When we're away they have their own budget for trinkets, extra snacks etc which helps them to learn how to budget and think about purchases carefully rather than buying the first things they see. When we visit Disney I will 99.9% of the time buy *a* thing they want as it's ridiculously expensive, plus whatever new pair of ears. Although last trip they had enough cash with Xmas money that they bought their own stuff (apart from the ears) themselves.

As my kids have zero choice if we holiday or not, I pay. None of them can be left home alone lol. And in Australia there are strict rules for working minors. I'm pretty sure it's 16 in general, younger if it's a family business, other rules in different circumstances.

I'll pay until they have full time employment, longer if need be.

I have always been responsible, even as a young child, for souvenirs and snack foods. My dad would occasionally treat me and buy me one of those items, but it always had to be offered. Now, as an adult, he still pays for me to go on vacations, but this was not something we were often able to do when I was a lot younger and now that he's finally in a place financially where he can travel a lot more, he wants to make up for that. I do treat him to a dinner or two on vacation, though. But usually if he's the one offering, he's the one paying.

ETA: I'm 18, a college freshman. I got invited to attend two conferences this semester, one in New York and one in Seattle. I paid fully for both of those myself and was responsible for food and spending costs. My dad did chip in some money as a Christmas gift for my trip, but that was what my only Christmas gift was. So there's that. I am also 100% responsible for the cost of my education as well, so I think that plays a factor in that, too.

When my adult daughter was working, she paid for her share of the room, tickets and dining plus any souvenirs. This will be our first trip since my grandson was born almost two years ago. My grandson has many health issues (heart transplant, trach/vented, non-mobile) and cannot be left at any daycare/babysitter and she doesn't have nursing for him so she is unable to work. The SSI money doesn't go far. I will be paying the entire cost of our trip in September.

Our kids are 11, 9, & 5. The often get Disney gift cards as gifts for their birthdays and Christmas since everyone knows we go to WDW often. I take them and toss them in a drawer and use them to pay towards our bill at the end of a trip. At the most they each probably contribute $200/yr and we have been going on 3-4 trips a year, so they aren't paying for any signifigant part of a WDW trip. They are probably covering 1 character meal, a few snacks, and a souvenir.
I'm cool with this - and we've done it before. Our boys (now 15 & 12) often receive from family members Amex/Visa gift cards for birthdays and Christmas. They will many times use them to purchase something they've been saving for or wanting. Other times they accumulate when they don't have something immediate to purchase. We've used these cards towards extras on our trips such as MVMCP tickets or to buy some extra souvenirs before we head home. I think that's a good way to have the boys contribute to our trips and to learn about the true cost of our wonderful vacations once all the extras are added. We always discuss this as a family and they have been happy to put those cards to good use to benefit all of us and not just to add another video game to their collection. They also bring some of their own saved money for buying their own souvenirs, which we supplement by cashing in our family change jar. Works for us!

My kids are still young - 8 and 4. Obviously we don't expect for them to pay towards vacations. They do cover their own souvenirs - they save bday and holiday money. We also give them each a set amount of money for each trip. I would not expect them to cover any part of them a trip until they are out of college and working full time

My kids are both in their 30's and one has a hubby and her own children. We are paying for the whole trip to Fort Wilderness and 4 Day Park Hopper passes but if they want to do Universal or something else that will be on them to pay for. We say it's the last "freebie" of this magnitude but I've said that about other things and feel we just want to see the smiles on their faces while we can.

We say it's the last "freebie" of this magnitude but I've said that about other things and feel we just want to see the smiles on their faces while we can.

I totally hear you on this! We are treating the adult kids and 4 grandkids to the trip in 2018. We're taking care of lodging, park tickets and one or two character meals. We are doing Disney transportation so no car rentals. They will pay for their own flights to Orlando and meals and drinks while there. We are grateful we can do this and they are very appreciative. We told them that while we hope to treat for other family vacations in the future, this is the "one and only" WDW vacation we can provide. Oh my, it would be cheaper to spend 2 weeks in Hawaii than a week at WDW!

I have always been responsible, even as a young child, for souvenirs and snack foods. My dad would occasionally treat me and buy me one of those items, but it always had to be offered. Now, as an adult, he still pays for me to go on vacations, but this was not something we were often able to do when I was a lot younger and now that he's finally in a place financially where he can travel a lot more, he wants to make up for that. I do treat him to a dinner or two on vacation, though. But usually if he's the one offering, he's the one paying.

ETA: I'm 18, a college freshman. I got invited to attend two conferences this semester, one in New York and one in Seattle. I paid fully for both of those myself and was responsible for food and spending costs. My dad did chip in some money as a Christmas gift for my trip, but that was what my only Christmas gift was. So there's that. I am also 100% responsible for the cost of my education as well, so I think that plays a factor in that, too.

We try to do the same as your Dad. WHen my kids were young we vacationed, but I could nto afford to go if we added airfare so those vacations were out. Our one WDW vacation was the ONE> now we are empty nesters and since we are not responsible for clothing, feeding, educating, and lodging our kids, we will treat rtowards vacations at times. Not every time, and not always the same, but be always do what we can at the time.

I'm realising just how bizarre my upbringing was.

haha. I guess you're lucky you at least went on vacations.

I did two family vacations growing up. One was a road trip in Texas when I was like 4 or 5. Then we did WDW when I was 8. I certainly wasn't expected to pay for tickets or food. The only rule was that we each got one stuffed animal, one souvenir, and one hat (I got a france mug in epcot, a donald duck hat, and a thumper animal). I had very limited funds until after high school. My parents didn't give us an allowance -- so my only money was birthday and christmas, which usually ended up being around $200 a year. I haven't done any other family vacations besides those two, unless you count one time camping in a tent and staying at a friend of a friend's lake house. Neither of which cost my parents much, if anything.

In high school, my parents gave me $40 every two weeks as an allowance -- but $20 of that was to cover school lunches. So basically, I had $10 a week to spend on entertainment and food (taco bell used to be so cheap).

Looking back, I'm quite amazed out how I was able to do anything on such a small amount. It helped having friends working at various fast food joints, and we had some serious discount coupons for Bennigan's (BOGO entrees).

I've done some family vacations with my in-laws, and if they invite us, then they cover the lodging and occasionally the air fare.

I actually haven't vacationed at all with my immediate family yet. I'm taking my parents to WDW for christmas this year, and we're covering the lodging. I just told them to cover their own food and tickets. Being able to pay for the lodging was the reason we joined DVC -- otherwise it would be way too expensive.

I can't follow the mentality that it teaches any kind of responsibility to force a teen to pay for a mandatory vacation, especially when they probably don't have the disposable income to do so. I'm glad you aren't making your 13 year old pay.

If my 13 year old could actually afford to pay for Disney, I'd be more worried with how the heck they were able to accumulate that kind of money at that age.

I think this is different from what was first described.

I think upgrading to annual pass is more a choice. Similarly, I could see telling a 14 year old or older you'd cover base tickets but if they want to upgrade to a park hopper or annual pass they need to use there own money. Similarly if you're family typically does one sit down meal a day or they want to have dinner in the castle rather than at 1900 Park Fare they have to cover their own bill. To me having a child/young adult cover desired upgrades (tickets, hotel, meals) is different from saying pitch in or don't go.

How funny would it be if you bought your kid the airplane ticket, and then they upgraded it to first class and left the rest of the family back in coach. :rotfl:

If my 13 year old could actually afford to pay for Disney, I'd be more worried with how the heck they were able to accumulate that kind of money at that age.

My DGD would have been able to. My DD woudl not have had her do so, but she woudl have the money saved if that was what she wanted. The child has understood what money was ever since I bought her the first littl epocketbook to go with her dresses. Nana gave her purses, Pa gave her dollars to put inside. The child never would let the whole dollar go! LOL! SHe still will never spend all of whatever she sets aside. No matter what, money, treats, etc...she makes sure there is some for tomorrow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter