When did your kids start buying their own tickets?

If that is truly the case, the parents also need to make arrangements so the teen also has the option of not going. It is absolutely unfair to force a minor to pay for part of a family vacation and not give them any other choice.

Honestly, if I couldn't afford to go on vacation without making my minor child chip in, I just wouldn't go.

I'm 34 as well. My family is traveling together for the first time (since my siblings and I have become adults) this summer (not to Disney). The trip was my parents' idea. They're paying for accommodations and, I assume, any family dinners. We are paying for our own gas and, I assume, any meals we do separately from the rest of the group.
My parents could afford to pay but didn't in an attempt to instill responsibility. As I said, reading this thread shows me how odd it was. Now that my daughter is thirteen, I can't see asking her to pay.

My parents could afford to pay but didn't in an attempt to instill responsibility. As I said, reading this thread shows me how odd it was. Now that my daughter is thirteen, I can't see asking her to pay.

I can't follow the mentality that it teaches any kind of responsibility to force a teen to pay for a mandatory vacation, especially when they probably don't have the disposable income to do so. I'm glad you aren't making your 13 year old pay.

DS is 21 and a full time college student so we pay for him. DD is 24 and on her own so she took a six day park hopper that we paid for and got herself an annual pass. Now I'm off the hook!:)

I cannot imagine asking a 13 year to pay for a family vacation. I make my 10 year pay for certain toys that she really wants that I dont think are worth it, after school snacks if she does not want what we have at home. For WDW vacation, I give her a small amount of money for souvenirs. When she is a little older I will have her pay for her own souvenirs.
I do emphasize to her many things I do to save money so that we can go on vacation!!!

Like many people here I would save up money from chores/pet-sitting/holiday gifts to use as my souvenir/gift buying fund as a child. My parents always paid for everything outside of this, only recently did I start paying for my own tickets and travel (I usually drive,everyone else flies). My mom never had much as a child so I know she wanted to give us the world & at some point I had to start paying or she just would keep on doing it! Our family owns DVC and I've always been grateful for that. My parents do however go to Disney more often than my brother & I and were going before we were born, so we kind of just joined the parade :)
Though for my high school graduation trip I got to bring my BF and 3 other friends. One of my best friends was one of those children whom from the age of 12/13 had to pay for everything, her own shampoo,soap,clothes,perfume,etc. Her family just couldn't afford for the kids not to contribute, and this included vacations. But, she saved all year and paid for that Disney trip almost entirely by herself...she is now a successful executive in Sports management and I know the contributions she had to make as child made her the determined business woman she is today.

Just a story of 2 totally different family types. I know my friend's vacation was a choice, but clearly I can see both sides as I was never asked to contribute and both my own mother and best friend had to pay for the things they needed as children..including vacations.

My parents have gifted us use of the dvc points and refuse any contribution to the maintance fees so they pay for that portion but we pay for the remainder. That said I didn't really start traveling to Disney until I was an adult. I could not see making my minor child or even college age child pay for hotel tickets airfare for a vacation especially if they do not have a choice about coming. What if they want to spend their savings on a new bike or gaming system? Are they permitted to opt out of the family vacation?

Interesting point. My parents always had us pay as we got older (13 and up). They could afford to pay it all. I think it was their way of building responsibility and an understanding that our travel cost a lot and that we should value it. I'm not sure where I fall on the issue. You are right. If we ask them to come or really require it because they are minors, is it really on them to pay for anything? Probably not.

Wow, 13! Interesting how different ppl./situations are. I can't imagine having my 15 year old pitch in for part of our family vacation. I'm not sure what the age "should" be or if it's more situational, or if it's more of an issue where there's not really any "right" answer. Honestly, there are times now that at 35, with 3 kids of my own that my parents will sometimes pay for vacations for all of us, or at least a large part of our cost. Their parents did it for them, and honestly I plan on doing it for mine as they become adults as long as I can afford to.

ETA: Just wanted to add, that my older 2 do pay for any "extras" they want (I get 1 souvenir per kid and I pay for regular meals and a snack here and there).

Last edited:
Our kids are 11, 9, & 5. The often get Disney gift cards as gifts for their birthdays and Christmas since everyone knows we go to WDW often. I take them and toss them in a drawer and use them to pay towards our bill at the end of a trip. At the most they each probably contribute $200/yr and we have been going on 3-4 trips a year, so they aren't paying for any signifigant part of a WDW trip. They are probably covering 1 character meal, a few snacks, and a souvenir.

Growing up, the first time I had to pay my own way for vacation was a family cruise when I was 20 (full time college student with 2 part time jobs). My parents made me pay for my part of the room (it wasn't more than $300 or so for a 10 day trip) and the 2 excursions I went on. My parents picked up my alcohol tab. I've paid my way on family vacations since then, though there was never any requirement to go, and we have turned down several trips because we would rather spend our time and vacation money elsewhere.

I wish I had made my kids help with the cost of their ticket when they were younger because my oldest was always wanting to go back to the resort and I didn't feel like he appreciated the cost of being in the park.

We own DVC. The last time we took all of our kids was in 2013 and it was a bit of a "reunion" and a SPLURGE for DH and myself!! None of my children were married but 3 had significant others, one of which ended up coming with us.
I created a newsletter and sent it to my kids DS25, DS23, DD21, DS19 at the time (DS 23 lived in CA, DD in CO).

Here is the wording I used:

Mark your calendars and get ready to pack your bags because we would like you to join us on a 7 night magical adventure to Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida!!

Your invitation includes*:

* One (1) night stay at Disney’s All-Star Music Resort*(see next page) on Friday, January 4, 2013; followed by

* Six (6) nights in a 3-bedroom villa at the deluxe Disney’s Boardwalk Villas resort;
* A five (5) day Walt Disney World park pass, allowing you entry into one park of your choice per day; and
* Some meals and snacks (groceries will be provided in the villa)

Not included in this vacation invitation:

* Airfare**

* Spending money
* Meals and snacks when you are not with Mom or Dad
* Other activities such as fishing, boat or bike rentals, etc.

**please reimburse 50% of ticket to Mom

Since then, DD and I have had a couple of trips for marathons and I have paid for her park tickets and everything except her airfare.

I am planning another trip for next fall. My oldest 3 got married to their significant others and my oldest two now have baby girls who will be 13 months old at the time of our trip. For my married children, I will not pay for airfare (except for the grandbabies if they want them to have seats) or tickets, but I ordered them already (before the price increase) and will probably not make them reimburse for the entire amount and give them Disney gift cards for their birthdays (before the trip) or let them know that birthday money went toward the tickets. We are staying DVC. I already had 3 tickets (purchased years ago) that I will use for DH, myself and my youngest DS (who just graduated college and works fulltime) - I figure I can pay for him this one more time, at least, since his siblings were treated at his age. DD and hubby may not be able to come at all because he's in the military.

My parents had the money and never made me pay for anything. DH and I would love to be able to treat for everything when we do a Disney trip but we really shouldn't (at least, it's not wise for our bank accounts if we do). We haven't done any other family vacations (except for the 3 weddings - Canada, CO, PA) and we don't get to see each other as often as we'd like.

We only do one TS restaurant, if any. We eat breakfast and some other meals in our villa and CS places in the parks.

But, to get back to the original question, I think it's great if kids realize the ticket cost involved on a Disney trip, especially now that ticket prices are crazy high. I think they should have a say in how many days they think they want to go to the parks (if they are old enough to do their own thing) and want to do less than the parents. I don't think I ever told my kids how much the tickets cost, but I usually got us to the parks before rope drop and stay until fireworks were over (no matter how tired everyone was). :) I wanted to get my $$ worth!!

Last edited:
Not before 18 unless we weren't going to buy tickets to go together and they wanted one to go with friends. At 18 and up, it depends. If I invite them on a family vacation, then I would pay for the tickets - and be clear if I needed them to pay for other parts. Like I would likely pay for hotel and tickets and they pay for the food/souvenirs as adults. I'd expect kids/adults to pay for their own souvenirs either way. (Though we did usually buy them one small think on the trip, meaning $15 or less. But they were on their own if they wanted more). My in-laws wanted everyone to meet up at Disney for their 50th anniversary and they paid for lodging and one really nice dinner. As long as adult children know what's expected of them, anything is fine. Children should usually only be responsible for souvenir money in most cases.

Ours are 16 and almost 21. We pay for everything and will continue to do so until they are well established in their careers. (Although I do look forward to the day when we can treat them and our grandchildren to Disney trips!:-))

The only time I paid for a vacation as a minor was my senior trip to WDW. My parents still treat us to vacations, including one to keys we'll be taking in April! (Though my sister and I splitting all the food costs). I get wanting to teach kids value of a dollar and what kind of money goes into a vacation, but they'll have plenty of time to learn that when they're older and out of the house!

Looking back on my experience I think my mother made us pay for part/all of the trips because my father balked at the cost of travelling with four kids and never really saw the value in vacations. He also was out of touch with what things cost as it was my mom who shopped for everything. I think she had us pay to smooth the waters so to speak. If dad had to pick up the whole cost we would have never gotten out the door ever. As I said, deciphering my upbringing is a whole other thread, probably best suited for the community board.

I think my kids are learning the value of vacations and their cost by watching my husband and I talk about the value of park tickets, and trimming costs where we can. They see how we cut the car rental when the Canadian dollar went low, how we've done no park trips when tickets got too pricey, how we eat in the villa and a host of other things. Hopefully they are listening and learning.

Haha.. I had to laugh as this....we have 4 kids. 30, 25, 25 and 18. The 18 year old is the only one that we pay for fully as she is still in college. The 3 older kids buy their tickets. We all still stay in room for 6 or we get 2 rooms and they throw in some to cover the 2nd room. We usually cover TS meals, as they are family events....and they cover all the other meals. When you have a full time job and are paying for your life expenses..more than likely you can pay for your own vacation as well. If we cover things, it is because we desire to, not because they expect it.

lucky mama!!! I hope our kids still hang with us at those ages!!

My parents still occasionally have paid for our tickets and I'm 34 with 4 children!!

This past trip they didn't pay for anything because it was really just my own family's trip, and my parents tagged along one day with us.

But 3 years ago we went on a big extended family trip with all my siblings and their kids. My parents knew that some of my siblings would have trouble paying for the trip and they wanted everyone to be able to go so they paid for one MK ticket for everyone. It was their Christmas gift to everyone (we went there at Christmas time). I certainly would never expect that of them though. I honestly can't remember what age I was when they stopped paying for our tickets all together but I think it was after I was married.

I think once they are finished school and are supporting themselves. DD7 is responsible for her own spending money.

Growing up, my parents took us on a big trip each year...to Disney most years, Grand Canyon, Washington, DC, wherever. My sister and I never paid for a thing, ever, except for souvenirs we wanted and they refused to buy - like stuffed animals, ha! (After age 9 or so, they were on me because my mother deemed them "dust collectors"). Even when we traveled with them while married my parents usually pay. I plan on handling things as my parents do/did. Yes, there are fights about checks at restaurants, other expenses, and sometimes we beat them to the punch and can successfully "win" and pay.

We're heading to Disney next week for our 5th family trip there and our kids are 7 & 5. My 16 year old niece is also joining us. None of the kids will pay for trip expenses, even the 16 year old. Her "job" is babysitting my kids a couple days a week in the summer. She doesn't have endless money. My husband and I (or my parents, as they live in Florida for part of the year) will get her whatever she needs.

Having said that, my kids buy some of their own souvenirs. As part of a Christmas gift they were each given GC to Disney. They are so excited to make their own choices instead of me saying, "Really? You'll never play with that!" Their gift card, their choice....as much as it might pain me. Ha!

When we were younger our mom or Grandparents would pay but now that we are older (26, 26 and 22), we pay for our trips. We might share a room and split the cost but we are in charge of paying for flight, tickets, meals (sometimes) and souvenir money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter