Whats your new protocol's silver lining?

We have skipped the shows on the past couple of cruises because that theatre is always so crowded, but now I think we will actually see a show again! Also happy about fireworks on multiple nights so everyone on the ship isn't on the top deck all at the same time!

...and, though we've been lucky to have had wonderful tablemates the past few cruises, we're kinda looking forward to having a dinner table to ourselves! :)

Glad to see a somewhat positive thread. For my October cruise the silver lining is the reduced capacity, Cabanas being served by staff, and several of the other things people have said. But most of all just the ability to get back on the ship again and hear my family's name announced as we board. I've booked an extended verandah and am looking forward to using it quite a bit.

My family is fully vaccinated and while I would prefer not to wear a mask, I understand that with the people that DCL serves they are in a tough spot. The last thing I want to happen is for DCL to have to shut back down again because of issues.

I'm actually looking forward to the reduced capacity and family specific dinning. We're not cruising until March '22 so I have to wonder what the protocols will be 8 months from now. LOL

Sorry but I don’t see any silver lining here so much work and money for less then in normal times. I’ve always heard everything happens for a reason I’m still trying to figure out what the reason is for this whole virus mess
That's right. That's how it is in the US. Like I said, people are required to cruise if they feel it isn't safe. I'm certain Disney could fill every cruise if there were zero restrictions or limitations.

That's right. That's how it is in the US. Like I said, people are required to cruise if they feel it isn't safe. I'm certain Disney could fill every cruise if there were zero restrictions or limitations.
As I'm equally as certain they could fill the ship with even more restrictions. People really want to travel, they just have to chose which cruise line suits them best for their covid procedures. There are a lot of variations to chose from until we are on the other side of this.

As I'm equally as certain they could fill the ship with even more restrictions. People really want to travel, they just have to chose which cruise line suits them best for their covid procedures. There are a lot of variations to chose from until we are on the other side of this.
Doubtful. Very doubtful.

my protocol silver lining is that it has helped me narrow down my vacation choices. Instead of wondering if I should cruise or visit one of the hundred other US-based vacation spots, now I know cruising isnt an option so I can just pick a new beach to visit!

Doubt that. We're doing awesome international land trips so don't care to cruise until some of the protocols are changed. And if Disney required vaccines - like other cruise lines - a lot of people would not be happy! My silver lining is at least they're starting to cruise again. Eventually things will be better and we'll cruise.

Well we are cancelling as of today. Heard nothing from DCL Concierge services after sending a number of emails and nothing on their website. Also tried to call a bunch of times and different times of day and nothing. So, we are getting our $ back; which I'm more than happy with.

were you sailing in the Dream? I have a concierge reservation on the magic in December, and would love to cancel and get my money back… waiting for the protocols for the other ships to come out.

I'm sorry, I should have clarified. There is still Cabanas but it will not be self-served. So in my mind, it's no longer a buffet for the time being.

I believe all deck food will still be available, but the soft serve and beverage will not be self serve. They will have a CM there to serve it.
From DCL
Quick-Service Food & Beverage Locations
Quick service food and beverage locations, including buffets, still offer all-you-care-to-eat bites and treats, and are served by Crew Members at designated times each day throughout the cruise. All food and beverages that were previously available at self-service stations will now be served by Crew Members.

As many have said on here, I'm also a big fan of a potentially reduced capacity.
In fact, it was a Dream of mine to sail on DCL during low season to experience smaller crowds, but it isn't possible due DD's school.
So, if our November 2021 Fantasy cruise sails at 50-60% I'd be absolutely ecstatic, and won't mind any and all restrictions..

From DCL
Quick service food and beverage locations, including buffets, still offer all-you-care-to-eat bites and treats, and are served by Crew Members at designated times each day throughout the cruise. All food and beverages that were previously available at self-service stations will now be served by Crew Members.

Yes, we get it. They are saying "buffet" but they also say "served by Crew Members". Which means it's really a cafeteria. (To note: I have no problem with them serving it. BUT if it's not self-serve, it ain't a buffet no matter what DCL or any other cruise line wants to call it. LOL.)

From DCL

Not sure why they would use the word "buffets" since the next sentence says "served by Crew Members..."

Perhaps, they want people to assure people that there will be locations where they can go up and choose different items as some feel this is what Buffets mean. It is still not self serve so technically not a buffet. It is specifically the fact that this is not self serve that makes it a silver lining for me.

Not sure why they would use the word "buffets" since the next sentence says "served by Crew Members..."

Perhaps, they want people to assure people that there will be locations where they can go up and choose different items as some feel this is what Buffets mean. It is still not self serve so technically not a buffet. It is specifically the fact that this is not self serve that makes it a silver lining for me.
We have been on quite a few DCL cruises and there was at least three times on separate cruises when they were worried about Noro virus so they had crew serve from the buffet, Either way it's a buffet to me as long as I can keep going up for as much shrimp that I want to eat. 🙂

Last edited:
Sorry to be behind on my DCL news but can someone post a link to this info? I saw the DCL protocols about masking, muster drills, virtual queue etc but didn't see anything about shows, fireworks, etc. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter