Whats your new protocol's silver lining?

So I read you can still do the Castaway 5K just on your own anytime during your day at Castaway and you still get the medal. This could be a big plus for me as I've always wanted to do it but it would have held up the rest of my traveling party and I'm not a very good runner so was too self conscious to do it with others who are legit runners. This could be my time!
Sister, you go!! I wanted to do that 5K SO MUCH and tried to practice so I could do it. The day came and I was no runner but I still did it and so did many others - people of all abilities!! Our daughter finished well before me and she was so sweet to loop back and cheer me on until I finished. Trust me when I say no one is watching or judging so go for it!! This will be a favorite memory after you do it! YAY YOU!!

Double dip is huge. We are actually not going to be experiencing any of the MDRs, and instead are doing two dinners at Palo and a dinner at Remy (plus a Palo Brunch!). Super excited for that.

Super excited about the new Muster Drill procedures, limited capacity in general, a new fireworks experience, smaller crowds at Castaway Cay, strictly enforced boarding times at the terminal (which definitely should have been a thing for years...), and sporadic character photo opportunities.

Okay that sounds like a video. If you ever wanted to start a channel now is the time. Do some catchy title about only eating at Remy and Palo.

One of the first things people equate with cruising is the buffets. Why eliminate that?

A large group of people don't like buffets to start, another group don't want it during covid19, and finally it's a very easy change in the name of safety protocol.

Okay that sounds like a video. If you ever wanted to start a channel now is the time. Do some catchy title about only eating at Remy and Palo.
Lol thanks much! As tempting as that sounds, I am pretty anti social media (this is the closest I have to anything!) so unfortunately it may just be limited to a trip report on the DisBoards :)

A large group of people don't like buffets to start, another group don't want it during covid19, and finally it's a very easy change in the name of safety protocol.
If a person doesn't like a buffet or is afraid of going to a buffet, they don't have to eat at the buffet. Why punish many for the few?

If a person doesn't like a buffet or is afraid of going to a buffet, they don't have to eat at the buffet. Why punish many for the few?

You are stating "afraid". It has nothing to do with someone being "afraid" or not. You will not find a large group upset about the change of buffet to cafeteria.

Now people will be upset with loss of certain food options but that to me has little to do with the change in serving method and more likely a cost savings measure in addition to help with speed in which people get through line to help with social distancing.

Like I stated though switching away from a buffet is by far the easiest switch to make to be safety minded with very minimal blowback on Disney.

Disney made other no touch changes as well regarding elevators and doors from the sounds of it as well so this is not surprising. Also before its brought up I am not sure Disney would ever do the disposable gloves route that some buffets are doing that have reopened as well.

Who gets upset about someone serving you at a buffet? What's the big deal?

I don't have an issue with someone serving it. I *do* have an issue with it being called a buffet. If you're going through a line and people are serving you, it's a cafeteria. Just call it what it is.

I don't have an issue with someone serving it. I *do* have an issue with it being called a buffet. If you're going through a line and people are serving you, it's a cafeteria. Just call it what it is.
I think we are nitpicking here.

It's a buffet that is temporarily being served cafeteria-style. If they were going to permanently implement this change, perhaps they would change to calling it a cafeteria. Maybe not. It's just marketing mumbo jumbo.

For example is the aquaduck a water slide? A water attraction? Water coaster?

Is Nemo's reef a pool? Or a water play area? I've seen it mentioned either way on Disney's website.

As long as people understand what it is, who really cares what they call it.

I think we are nitpicking here.

It's a buffet that is temporarily being served cafeteria-style. If they were going to permanently implement this change, perhaps they would change to calling it a cafeteria. Maybe not. It's just marketing mumbo jumbo.

For example is the aquaduck a water slide? A water attraction? Water coaster?

Is Nemo's reef a pool? Or a water play area? I've seen it mentioned either way on Disney's website.

As long as people understand what it is, who really cares what they call it.

I agree, but if someone who sees the word "buffet" in the wording, more often than not, will assume it is self serve. And a poster had replied to my post about my silver lining being "no buffets" but it says "buffets" served by CM on the website, so that was confusing to some.

To most, buffet means self serve so if it's written as "buffet" people will automatically believe it's self serve and get upset when they get there and it's "cafeteria style"...

Personally, I don't like buffets. If it's specified on the restaurant info, I would read to see if they mean "family-style", "cafeteria style" or self serve...but some only sees the word buffet.

Don't get me wrong, my assumption of buffet is self serve. If it's not, I would be surprised that they didn't call it "family style buffet" or buffet served family style like 'Ohana's.

I agree, but if someone who sees the word "buffet" in the wording, more often than not, will assume it is self serve. And a poster had replied to my post about my silver lining being "no buffets" but it says "buffets" served by CM on the website, so that was confusing to some.

To most, buffet means self serve so if it's written as "buffet" people will automatically believe it's self serve and get upset when they get there and it's "cafeteria style"...

Personally, I don't like buffets. If it's specified on the restaurant info, I would read to see if they mean "family-style", "cafeteria style" or self serve...but some only sees the word buffet.

Don't get me wrong, my assumption of buffet is self serve. If it's not, I would be surprised that they didn't call it "family style buffet" or buffet served family style like 'Ohana's.
I can see it being confusing for sure. I just don't understand the perspective of caring that much one way or the other. Maybe that's just me. I've been on cruises where they switched the buffet mid cruise to "cafeteria style" due to a Noro outbreak. Everyone just rolled with it.

I'm not trying to knock anyone else's point of view, I just wasnt sure why the nomenclature here is so important that people get bent out of shape about it.

I'm here for the food. Don't really care how it gets on my plate. :cool1:

I can see it being confusing for sure. I just don't understand the perspective of caring that much one way or the other. Maybe that's just me. I've been on cruises where they switched the buffet mid cruise to "cafeteria style" due to a Noro outbreak. Everyone just rolled with it.

I'm not trying to knock anyone else's point of view, I just wasnt sure why the nomenclature here is so important that people get bent out of shape about it.

I'm here for the food. Don't really care how it gets on my plate. :cool1:

:thumbsup2

(sorry for going off topic)

Last edited:
Another silver lining item (its not really protocol-related, but canceled cruise due to Covid related): we are using part of the 25% credit we received when our cruise was canceled last year to eat at Remy on our November cruise. We've always wanted to try it, but couldn't justify the cost. Since we now have the onboard credit, we're finally going to have the chance to try it!

Another silver lining item (its not really protocol-related, but canceled cruise due to Covid related): we are using part of the 25% credit we received when our cruise was canceled last year to eat at Remy on our November cruise. We've always wanted to try it, but couldn't justify the cost. Since we now have the onboard credit, we're finally going to have the chance to try it!
Yes I told my husband our currently booked cruise has a 25% off coupon due to our FCC. It's basically true?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter