• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

what's the going rate in your area for dog boarding?

We pay $18.00 a day large kennel even though we have a small dog. It's indoors and has it's own control temp for the kennel. That way the kennel is set to the temp she's use to at home. They walk her 4-5 times a day. Plus the staff plays with her through out the day. We bring our own food. Plus it's at our vet so if anything goes wrong Dr Erin is right there. We live in a town of 14,000 people but drive 45 minutes to our vet who is in a town of 3,600 people. We couldn't ask for a better vet. She even does house calls for ER issues and doesn't charge an arm and a leg for it. We can call her anytime something happens. I would even pay more but she only charges $18.00 a day. Not bad when I know she's taken well care of.

I love our vet who charges $6 day per dog for a large kennel with nice big runs they go out in daily. We can use their food or bring out own. My dogs love it so much there they have to go say goodbye to the lady who takes care of them before I can get them out the door to go home. I live in the middle of nowhere though and the vet has an office and kennel in a seperate buidling out in back of his house. He charges close to nothing for vet services compared to others I have seen on the boards too.

$25/night per dog. We have 2 dogs so $50/night.

For our upcoming trip in july we are paying $550 for just the dogs (they are going to be there for 11 nights)

My vet boards my dog for $9.80 a night plus a one time well check fee of $13. It's pretty reasonable. We supply the food and treats.

We have two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. Our vet charges $28 per day each to board them. There is an extra fee for 30 minutes of playtime per day. This will be the first time I am leaving them at the vet as my sister usually takes them but she is traveling with us this time. I am a nervous wreck! I hope they are ok while we are gone.

I run a dog sitting business out of my home. The dogs basically join our family during their stay...no kennels or limitations of outdoor or play time. I charge $22 per dog, per night. Multi dog families pay $20 per dog. My clients provide the food.

Yes, it definitely does add up. We have three dogs of our own. I am very relieved that my aunt has volunteered to watch our dogs for our Disney trip and our Texas trip this summer. That would have been about $700 for those two trips....yikes:eek:

Last I looked it was $18 a night for one dog, food included. But they have add-ons like doggie daycare (they take all the dogs who's owners paid for it and they can play together while supervised by staff) and you can have the groomed on the day you pick them up so they don't smell like a dog kennel. I think I usually spend about $250 or so for a week, as I'll add in the grooming and a few days of doggie daycare. But I love the kennel, it's a part of a 24 hour emergency vet clinic so I know if my fur baby gets ill, help is right there. Plus I can trust them to take good care of her in the first place.

My last trip, I paid a friend of mine half what the kennel would cost to house/pet sit for a week, and that worked out even better. I saved money, Missy didn't have the stress of being at the kennel (as nice as it is, she doesn't like it) and my friend got away from her mom for a week while earning some extra money (my friend lives at home with her mother while she is job hunting).

Just picked up the dogs. Sometimes that's the best part of the trip, their reaction to seeing us. It was $30 a day for 2 dogs kept in a shared kennel. $20 for one. Boy, that adds up when you figure my share of the rental house for 11 days was only $600. Guess it's one area you can't scrimp on.
About $20 a day for 1 dog and that includes doggie playtime with the pack.

$600 is a big chunk of change. Have you considered hiring a house sitter? Or maybe paying someone to take your dogs for the duration? I hire a friend to babysit my dog while we're gone. She likes my dog, she makes a little cash on the side and I pay less than if I had to kennel my dog. It's a win-win situation.

I think we pay $30-$35 a day for our Chessie (large dog about 90lbs). There is a pet resort near us that charges $60 a day. :scared1: Now that's crazy! I've stayed in some hotels for less than that! :lmao:

We pay between $35-45 a day depending on time of year. Privately owned kennel in backyard, skylights, big runs, and plenty of outdoor play time with other puppies!

I think we pay $30-$35 a day for our Chessie (large dog about 90lbs). There is a pet resort near us that charges $60 a day. :scared1: Now that's crazy! I've stayed in some hotels for less than that! :lmao:

I often stay in hotels for less than that! We pay $35 per day for an English Springer.

If you have 2 or more dogs, look into a petsitter!

We pay $15/visit for someone to come to our house. We have 3 visits a day, but could do 2 if we wanted. She brings in our mail/paper and waters our plants and calls us if anything is amiss at the house. She loves on our 2 dogs and 1 cat and takes care of their needs. They don't have to leave their home.

Also, when we used to board one dog we found there were often 1 or 2whole extra days of fees because we had to drop off the day before if we had an early flight and we had to pick up the next day if we had a late flight back! With a petsitter, they stop coming as soon as you are home.

I toured 5 kennels before finding one I trusted. I pay $27 a night for two large dogs in a shared kennel (it's large and we get an extra bed). It's a 10,000 sq ft facility on 32 arces. It includes high quality food. It has a covered run as well as an open one so they can go out and play even if it rains. Green Beans and walks, play time, grooming is charged seperately. It has web cam too.

Our kennel is $14 a day regardless of the size of dog. Includes food even though we bring our own. Extra $1 per day if your dog needs 2 meals a day instead of just one. They will feed per your schedule. Includes 4 run around periods. No multi-dog discount. Dog must be fully vaccinated including bordatella. I love them!

Speaking of kennels....how many of your dogs don't eat when you get them back home? The first year or so we left ours at the kennel they did fine, the following year our Dachshund wouldn't eat for a few days when we got her back home. And anyone that has a Dachshund knows they like to eat LOL

She would sniff her food but not eat it....and I wondered if maybe they accidentally gave her the kennel food all week and she was scoffing at her regular food (even though we pay extra to have her fed her regular food since it's healthier for her). I'm so nervous about leaving her again this year....we took her on vacation with us for YEARS and just the past 3 years have we began leaving them in a kennel when we vacation. Oh and she's 10 years old....so maybe just something older dogs do?

We board through our vet and pay $25 a day for our lab. When we had 2 dogs and they shared large kennel it was still $25 each.

$25/day, bring your own food.

Really stops us from going anywhere for just the weekend. Even just a weekend camping adds $125 by the time we have to drop her off Friday morning on the way to work (they close at 5pm before we could get home and get her there) and can't get her until Monday after work. So, that ends up counting as 5 days!

i PAY 21.50 A DAY.
He is in his own area, air conditioned/heat, runs and fed their foods (sci diet) or you can bring own. ANy med 1 extra a day. No blankets or toys allowed :(

We get a quickie bath upon pickup, 25. and then I wash him with my natural stuff (I want him a little clean before I take him in the house :lmao:)

I think its a good deal, I mean leaving the vehicle at the airport is $$$ :eek: and you get nothing for that

Just thought I'd add my experience here in Wisconsin. We've used the vet with pretty good success at $25/per dog per day--even if sharing indoor heated/cooled kennel space with your own food + treats and they take them out into a grassy yard 3 times a day for 15 min. (We have 2 small schnoodles.) Dogs must have all standard vaccines + bordatella which I think is good--then you know the other dogs are unlikely to pass anything to your dogs. However, if you want doggie day care style play time add $20 per dog per day or $3 per extra 15 min. of "playtime".

One dog doesn't seemed fazed by the whole kennel experience while the other (who is generally nervous anyway) doesn't eat well while we're gone.

We tried a "pet resort" last year for roughly the same price and were very unhappy with how the dogs were returned to us. (My dad had picked them up as we had a flight later than their pick up hours.) They both had dried feces caked on them which clearly had been there for some time. This led me to believe that they were upset while at the so-called resort and clearly were not given appropriate attention. Needless to say we will never return.

Actually, tomorrow I am going to check out another "pet lodge" which looks really nice and comes highly recommended by a co-worker. It is an open concept type place where the dogs can be with other dogs. They do an assessment to figure out each dog's ability to appropriately interact with other dogs. Their fees are $34/day for both dogs. Unlimited playtime and interaction with people and their own "room" for when they are indoors. I really hope this is the place for us.

FYI-We did go away this weekend and had a neighbor kid ($50)come by several times a day. The dogs did seem to do quite well with minimal potty accidents and no property damage. I just don't think this would work well for 7 nights as they are used to plenty of attention and I don't think the neighbor kid could make that kind of commitment to this relationship. LOL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter