What's the big deal about Gideon's?

My family and I love Gideon's. Huge cookies that you can definitely share. The chocolate chip were our favorite. The virtual queue worked out well for us. The second time that we were there we actually were able to just walk up and get in line for hot cookie hour (the best possible time to hit up Gideon's).

I haven't tried them and probably won't. But then again, I don't go to DS that much either. Most of the WDW sweets are way to sweet and over the top for me. Heck, I gave in to the hype and tried the Wookie Cookie one trip, took one bite and threw the rest away. Then I tried the Yum Yum cookie, was able to eat about a 1/4 of it and again threw the rest away. Way too big and way to sweet. The looks of Gideons are what put me off. Way too many huge chips on top and what looks like raw dough in the middle (I know it's not raw, it just looks that way).

The line for Gideon’s was relatively short and moving well when we were there in late September last year. We had just eaten dinner at Raglan Road and DH asked me what the attraction was. Since we had had our fill of bread pudding :love:, cookies weren’t very high on my list at the moment. But he said he wants to give it a try on our next trip.

I think the cookies taste good. It’s pretty easy to join the virtual que and if you’re spending the day at Disney springs it’s not much effort to get the cookies.

I was extremely underwhelmed. Anyone from Pittsburgh who has has a Nancy B cookie would be.

In DS, we liked most of the treats we got from Amorette's. One of my favorites is the Mickey shaped brownie. When last I went there, they were over by the register, and don't look like much. We often buy one to bring home and they are still good several days later. There was only one treat webought tehre that was just so-so. Most were delicious.

There's also the DS chocolate shop. I forget the name. It is $$, but we liked the chocolates we bought there. They come in a very nice box.

Another place that has outstanding sweets is the Boardwalk Deli at BWK hotel. Very pretty, and the sweets we bought were delicious. the sandwiches are decent too, but the pastrami was a bit greasy last time, especially with cheese and dressing. Chicken sandwich was good. Pastrami was fine/tasty, but I think I would order it without the sauce/cheese next time. It is high quality meat.

If you are at Universal, the Chocolate Emporium, but only specific areas. We never tried the ice cream treats, but they appear to be more for Instagram than eating. We watch the people eating them for a moment, and nobody looked particularly happy. That said, inside the shop area (right side) the macaroons are very good, and to the right of the macaroons is another glass case that has some AMAZING confections! Again, very pretty and delicious. Many of the inpark sweets look too over the top for me, but what we have tried their are great.

Last, not WDW, but if you ever find yourself in St. Augustine try the Hyppo's Ice Pops. We only tried a few flavors, but they were amazing. I WISH WDW sold these. They use high quality fruit/other ingredients, and make unique combinations like Mango kiwi, some flavors with alcohol (bourbon peach), and some unusual combos like Plum mint. The flavors really POP, and they taste like ripe fruit, not just sugar.

the Ganachery...and I agree, the chocolate Is delicious, so creamy and smooth. I bought a box of 16 to take home last time, and I will do so again in May.

I remember before my November trip that I couldn’t wait to try Gideon’s, but I don’t find their cookies appealing at all. I love chocolate chips, but I don‘t like chocolate chips ALL over the top....it’s just not attractive. I love gooey chocolate chip cookies, and not so huge. I haven’t seen their other cookies, but even if I liked the looks of them, I don‘t think I’d wait an hour for them

I wasn't interested in trying Gideons but my sister swore they were the best cookies ever. Stood in line for about 5 minutes and I tried out the banana bread cookie. In my opinion it was just average. I could have done without the amount of chips on the cookie and this particular one felt pretty dry. Next time I might try a cold brew, but otherwise the cookies are a one and done thing for me.

I was extremely underwhelmed. Anyone from Pittsburgh who has has a Nancy B cookie would be.
I'm from Pittsburgh so thank you, because now I know about Nancy B! (I'd never heard of it and am a cookie fan) But I did love Gideon's. The reason for me is, they are not too sweet and overly buttery like say, Crumbl cookies. We got a bunch of them, cut them up and shared among our large party. I particularly loved the one with pistachio in it and then the banana one for second favorite.

When we were there this past summer, my DS was turning 16 and rather than a cake, he wanted a dozen Gideon's cookies. We had a rental car and drove to the original location (we found it rather hard to find--hidden inside some building at a little counter, but at least no line). My son LOVES cookies but no one in the family really cared for these. Only about 1/4 of these got eaten. They were too big, thick, and kinda icky after a while. I felt like I wasted $$ on them after hearing the hype about Gideon's. I would never wait in the DS line. I think the pastries at the Erin McKenna bakery are a ton better IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter