What's the big deal about Gideon's?

Forget the haters with their "I won't wait in line for a cookie." Good! That means I get my cookies faster. Im pre-ordering 2 dozen next month from their other location. They are the best! And worth the money and the extra drive.

They’re definitely way overrated. Don’t get me wrong they are good, but not worth spending and hr or more in line. Basically oversized and overpriced cookies.

The cookies were big. I probably ate pieces of mine over three days. It was good, but expensive. We got there before they opened to be first in line, which was great, but we rushed through the queue, and that was the best part of the place for us. DD loved the theming. We probably won't go back.

Someday I'm going to make chocolate chip cookies without the chips. As it is I usually put in maybe half what the recipe calls for because the cookie is the best part. And I like them crunchy.
I tried baking chocolate chipless chocolate chip cookies about 20 years ago. They turned out horribly, but I think we accidentally doubled the flour and nothing else. We didn't try again, but I'm still certain this would be delicious. (Even with the extra flour the dough was tasty without chocolate to dodge.)

The same deal as dole whips and Ohana noodles. Hype.
I can't agree with the Dole whips...those are pretty yummy. Ohana noodles...meh....i keep trying to remember them from our 1 not really memorable dinner there but they just don't stand out to me. We get really great noodles from some of the local hibachi places by us.

Dole Whips are good. When they try to introduce and capitalize on all the different “flavors” it gets old really fast.
I totally agree with this. Stick with the original dole whip that we all memorialize and leave it alone. Don't add extra sugary crap. Too many Disney desserts have gone over the top and can't be enjoyed because they are just too sweet.

Not sure.... the line is always too long for me! I can make cookies easily at home, so I won't wait in a line like that to buy one....

The hype is warranted, as their cookies and cakes are excellent and high quality. The cookie was not the best I’ve ever had but still very good. The chocolate cake was top three out of probably 50 I’ve ever had. For us it was convenient, two hour virtual wait while we had dinner, then only about 15 minutes in the physical line. If you can plan it in your day it’s worth it, but no need to go completely out of your way.

This was a must-do for my past 3 trips, but I found that we don't usually eat all the cookies and they get tossed. Also tried the peanut butter coffee thing, delicious, but not a must-do. Next trip I think we will try somewhere else. We are not big cake eaters. Any suggestions?

This was a must-do for my past 3 trips, but I found that we don't usually eat all the cookies and they get tossed. Also tried the peanut butter coffee thing, delicious, but not a must-do. Next trip I think we will try somewhere else. We are not big cake eaters. Any suggestions?
In DS, we liked most of the treats we got from Amorette's. One of my favorites is the Mickey shaped brownie. When last I went there, they were over by the register, and don't look like much. We often buy one to bring home and they are still good several days later. There was only one treat webought tehre that was just so-so. Most were delicious.

There's also the DS chocolate shop. I forget the name. It is $$, but we liked the chocolates we bought there. They come in a very nice box.

Another place that has outstanding sweets is the Boardwalk Deli at BWK hotel. Very pretty, and the sweets we bought were delicious. the sandwiches are decent too, but the pastrami was a bit greasy last time, especially with cheese and dressing. Chicken sandwich was good. Pastrami was fine/tasty, but I think I would order it without the sauce/cheese next time. It is high quality meat.

If you are at Universal, the Chocolate Emporium, but only specific areas. We never tried the ice cream treats, but they appear to be more for Instagram than eating. We watch the people eating them for a moment, and nobody looked particularly happy. That said, inside the shop area (right side) the macaroons are very good, and to the right of the macaroons is another glass case that has some AMAZING confections! Again, very pretty and delicious. Many of the inpark sweets look too over the top for me, but what we have tried their are great.

Last, not WDW, but if you ever find yourself in St. Augustine try the Hyppo's Ice Pops. We only tried a few flavors, but they were amazing. I WISH WDW sold these. They use high quality fruit/other ingredients, and make unique combinations like Mango kiwi, some flavors with alcohol (bourbon peach), and some unusual combos like Plum mint. The flavors really POP, and they taste like ripe fruit, not just sugar.

I dream about that chocolate banana bread cookie with the peanut butter cold brew.

Disney Springs is a must do for us for one weeknight every trip. Between all the restaurant options, WOD and Gideons, we feel like we can't miss going for a night.

FOMO, plain and simple. Obnoxious, gluey cookies. Quantity over quality. No thanks.

We watch DFB, and were excited to try Gideons. But we typically only spend a few hours at Disney Springs eating at Polite Pig, and for our two Annual Pass years with maybe 7 trips, never made it to Gideons - the line was too long, and we valued sleep/pool time over any cookie.

Last August, we took a 48 hour non-park trip and stayed at POFQ. We took a leisurely boat ride to Disney Springs, walked around, and decided to wait the 25 minutes for Gideons. We got one of each cookie and split a peanut butter cold brew. Everything tasted amazing! We cut the cookies up into 8 pieces each (like a pie) and our travel party of 8 each sampled all the cookies. Everyone seemed to have a different favorite, and it was a super fun experience. I found the cookies to be of excellent quality (I love a cookie dough texture); but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't wait in a line over 15 minutes. It was a "one time" type experience for us.

They LOOK awesome, and I really want to love them. They're so sickeningly sweet to me. One or two bites and I'm done.
Same. The first time we went, we bought 3 or 4 cookies. We didn't finish them all and ended up throwing them out. Two or three bites and I'm done. Now we only buy 1 cookie for the 2 of us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter