Whats going on here?

one2escape

Earning My Ears
I have been looking on these boards for the last month or so and something has really annoyed me. I am going to be staying in Disney in Novmeber i was looking forward to it but after reading some peoples post im begining to question myself. All i am hereing is negative no positive. I have been before so should i cancel now and wait for a year or two?

Since I guess I am in the "negative" car pool....

I am down on the prospects of the Disney company. Does that mean that all of the wonderfull things that have come from the past are gone? No.

Even being as negative about Disney as I am, I am still going in October for 10 days. If you've got a trip planned, and you were really looking forward to it, go. If it's your first time to the park, you'll be amazed.

The rumors & news boards (when all of the regulars are here) can be pretty opinionated....but we're usually talking about the future of the company, or certain aspects of the company. I can see how some would think we paint with a large brush and see our debates to be "Disney rocks" or "Disney Sucks".

I don't think any of us totally hate all of Disney....if you do, why post here? (Unless your Jeff Katzenberg or directing broadway!)

So my advice, go. Enjoy yourself.

...regularly characterized as a purely negative Disney- and Eisner-basher by posters who can't suffer another's dissenting opinion, and my next trip (our third for 2001) is scheduled for December.

Just because Disney's future looks bleak based on what has largely passed for creativity and innovation over the past five to ten years, it does not follow that you shouldn't show up now. Indeed, I say, go while you can. Every indication is that things are going to get worse before they get better in WDW.

For instance, you really should ride Carousel of Progress before they let the thing crumble where it stands...

Jeff

The reason you seen see so much negativity here is because we love the parks so much. I know that seems like a contradiction, but it isn't. The parks are still magical, but some of us see them slowly slipping from the high standards they used to represent. We worry that this trend will continue and eventualy the parks will slip into mediocrity. We worry about the fact that Disney does not seem to willing to invest the kind of money and creativity it used to into the parks and that this will eventually result in their demise. In short, we worry for the future and complain becuase we know the parks could be even better than they are today.

Happily, the parks are still magical (even though the last five years have seen some attractions close and few, if any, new e ticket attractions). Most of us still vacation there despite our concerns because they are still the best parks on earth. Please don't cancel your plans. You will have a wonderful time.

Take a look at gcurling's post entitled "Why are you here?". That may clarify things a little. I belong to the happy carpool with the rose colored windshield. ;)
BTW JeffJewel, I don't think you're anti-Disney; just anti-Eisner. If you didn't love Disney you wouldn't be here or speak with such passion. :)

Like other parts of life there are times when your concentration is on having fun, sharing what you know or have done, and then there are times when you have to sit down and take a hard look at something even though it means you have to see the "bad stuff." In English class, some days we wrote, some days we talked about what we read, and some days we had workshops where we had to critique someone else's work and listen to other people's critiques. Those days weren't always the best days or the most fun, but they were still necessary so we could learn how to be better writers, better interpreters etc.

I think this board (News & Rumors) is like those workshops. We talk about the tough stuff, the not so pleasant stuff as well as all some good things. It's not always pleasant, but not much in life can't be improved upon and so why not talk about it, maybe someone is listening?

The nice thing about the DIS is that there are tons of boards to fit your mood and your needs on a given day. Right before my trips I spend more time reading the planning boards because it's exciting, fun and gets me in the mood for having a good trip. It's a really great experience. I can't read those boards when I come home because it depresses me that I'm not going back for another year or longer.

If you are finding this board a little hard to take right now, might I suggest a trip over to the Trip Reports board? If after your trip you find yourself thinking, "How long is the sub lagoon going to stay empty?" or "Didn't they have more character meals with others than Mickey and Pooh?" someone will still be here.

I agree with Hopemax's excellent advice, wander over to the trip planning section, or even the trip reports, they will put you in the mood, plus offer thoses up to date tips:)

Even though you will only find Mickey and Company or Pooh and Company at the character meals (and princesses at Cindy's), there's nothing greater than eating with them.
Even though Horizon, Motion, and Imagination are gone, Food Rocks and the Living Seas are lame, the live entertainment (and the free Beverly) is still well worth a trip to Epcot.
Even though, Superstar TV sits idle, and the sound theatre is dark (you literally sit in the dark the whole show), Beauty and the Beast (New updated show, by the way), Hunchback, Ariel, Millionaire, Indy, Rock and Roller Coaster and FANTASMIC make for a great day at MGM.
And even though there isn't a lot to do at AK and it is missing one of it's base elements (Beastly Kingdom), it is still a beautiful place to explore and the Lion King is one of the best shows at WDW.
We go very regularly and have a great time every time, and every trip seems at least as special than the previous.

The magic of Disney is unique. Something that has never existed before. Something that will never exist again. What a closed Horizions brings heavy to our hearts, a new E-Ticket brings to our park. In Disney, what you loose, you make up for, sooner or later.

DON'T CANCEL YOUR TRIP! I just came back and this time it is better! ToN isn't as good, but getting in the hot seat (which I did) can make up for it. MGM is now my favorite park because of Millionare.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter