What's better than a honeymoon? TWO Honeymoons! 8/30 57 hours/13 months to go!

So we know where this is going... if you can handle the stress, please read this little story for the details:

By the time we headed back to our resort, the sun had broken through a bit and we decided to head to the pool. I was still wearing my ring (yes, even though it was too big. I was excited, and it wasn’t falling off big…) we were just going to swim in the not very deep pool, nothing crazy! Once we were down by the pool, Ben mentioned that he really wanted to at least step in the ocean. He loves the beach, and couldn’t wait to enjoy the tropical water. So I followed him down the steps to the sand. The beach was really pretty small, and the water looked a bit rough.
P1010122.jpg

This was taken a different day, but it gives a little idea of what the ocean was doing that day.
We only stepped in enough for the water to touch our feet when I noticed that all of a sudden, there was no water. It had gone out really far, which was very strange to see. And before we could react, it came back in the form of a huge, crashing wave. I very well remember being thrown violently around and landing on my butt several feet from where I started. I sat there for a minute trying to get my bikini back in place and Ben came over to check on me.
Then he asked about the ring. Then I looked at my hand. I started to cry. Ben started to cry. We looked around for a bit while waves continued to crash around us. After a bit, we stumbled back up to the pool area and collapsed on a chair. We were a mess. I just kept saying that I wanted to go home. Ben felt horrible because I felt so horrible. Somehow we made it up to our room, Ben stopping at the front desk to report the ring on the teeny chance someone would a) find it and b) turn it in. I got in the shower to try and get rid of the 100 pounds of sand that was in my suit and hair, sobbing hysterically the whole time. I couldn’t believe it had happened and had nothing to blame it on but poor judgment. It was the saddest moment ever.
After being miserable for what seemed like forever, but was probably only an hour, we started to pull it together. Going home wouldn’t fix anything, and we were still engaged, even without a ring. While I got ready for dinner, Ben made me a ring to wear
P1010037.jpg

P1010036.jpg

I had finally stopped crying, but I still looked pathetic.

The next day, we started to feel better for a couple of reasons: we were having a great time in St. Lucia, we were engaged, and we started to think of how we were going to solve the problem.
The ring was not insured. Ben had not wanted to add it to the home insurance before giving it to me because he thought I would have to sign the paperwork, and then would have known about the ring. We’ve since learned that this isn’t exactly the case, but at the time he was trying to protect the surprise. He did buy it with an American Express card and we knew that there were purchase protection benefits that might help with the financial loss.
So the thing that was the most upsetting at this point was not having a real ring to wear. But it just so happened that the resort had a jewelry store! So we walked over and started looking. When the sales people heard the story, they were horrified and sympathetic. They helped us pick out a nice band and rushed to have it sized correctly (size 5, for the record...) so I could pick it up the next morning.
P1010102.jpg

She was a sweetheart, wish I could remember her name…
P1010101.jpg

The rest of the week was amazing and we met a lot of great people. We ended up being slightly famous for our ordeal. When we got off the plan in Boston, a couple caught up to us to tell us they were sorry about what happened! They had been at the resort and another couple had pointed us out and told them the story!

Once we got back, we found that American Express would refund a portion of the cost. This reminds me of another thing that really upset Ben- he hated that now I knew how much the ring cost. The next day, Ben went back to the jewelry store where he bought the ring and talked to the owner. He sympathized, but not enough to replace the ring (haha, we didn’t really think that was going to happen!) He did re-sell Ben the setting at cost and had it set with a nice cubic zirconium at no charge. So I had my ring back (sort of) and we started planning a wedding. Replacing the diamond was set back on the financial radar, as we were saving for the wedding. And to be honest, the ‘fake’ stone was very pretty, and it helped me feel less nervous about walking around with a lot of money on my finger.
But of course we wouldn’t feel like that horrible day on the beach was totally behind us until the stone was replaced. We had tossed around the idea of having it done before the wedding, but it just didn’t seem all that practical.
But the other day, Ben handed me the band we bought in St. Lucia. I looked at him weird and asked what I was supposed to do with it (it doesn’t fit on my right hand, and I can’t wear it with my engagement ring). He said it was to take the place of my ring while it was at the jeweler. That sneaky kid had bought a diamond the day before Valentines when I was getting my hair done! So I am sitting here wearing my lovely vacation ring, and should have my ring back tonight!
Even though it’s not the actual ring, it feels like we’ve finally been able to have real closure about what happened to the original ring.

And as an example of my friend’s sense of humor (and mine, I thought they were great!) this is what the centerpieces at my shower looked like:
IMG_0333.jpg

I've only been engaged once, but I've been given 4 engagement rings...

Oh my Gosh! What an ordeal. I was cringing while reading it. But I'm glad it seems to have worked out okay in the end.

Be sure to snap a photo when you get the ring back. It's hard to see it in the other photos since they aren't close ups.

I'm sorry you went through that whole ordeal. That must have been awful. I'm glad that you were able to get it settled before your wedding though! :goodvibes

We are so excited about Portofino, I've been checking out pictures like crazy. I love that the Universal hotels are close to the parks! (at least they look close on the map... are they?)

The hotels are super close to the parks - definitely within walking distance, and the boat is lovely too (the Portofino's the furthest away of the three hotels). The hotel is gorgeous and you will definitely love it!

Lol well I'm glad the story had a happy ending!! And what a story you got out of it!!!

Oh my Gosh! What an ordeal. I was cringing while reading it. But I'm glad it seems to have worked out okay in the end.

Be sure to snap a photo when you get the ring back. It's hard to see it in the other photos since they aren't close ups.
Because you asked....
IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg

I'm wearing it now and it is beautiful! There definitely is a difference in the stone, now that I'm looking at a real diamond.

I'm sorry you went through that whole ordeal. That must have been awful. I'm glad that you were able to get it settled before your wedding though! :goodvibes

Thanks for sympathizing, ladies! It was horrible, but we handled it well after the initial breakdown. We are both very laid back and easy going so I think that helped. Plus I am really clumsy and un-lucky, so I've had experience dealing with this kind of thing (on a smaller scale!) before.

The hotels are super close to the parks - definitely within walking distance, and the boat is lovely too (the Portofino's the furthest away of the three hotels). The hotel is gorgeous and you will definitely love it!

Yay! You made me even more excited :goodvibes
I didn't even know there was a boat. I guess I have more research to do!

Hi, I'm joining in! I LOVE that you intersperse the trip details with the wedding details :lovestruc:lovestruc
As initial horrifying the engagement ring story was, I'm glad it ended happily. Seems like your fiance will do anything to make you happy!
You will love US and Portofino Bay-- it's sooo gorgeous. Plus-- you can either take the boat or WALK to both parks (US studios is slightly closer to PB, I believe). If you and your DFi love bar-cruising, you guys will love City Walk! It has such a great, upbeat feel! If you can't tell, I'm a huuuuge US/IOA fan. (Nothing like Disney, though!)

Oh my gosh, that story made me sick to my stomach. I was terrified I was going to lose my ring in Disney - I even brought a fake one to wear while we were at the parks but I of course had to wear the real one!

I bet you are so excited to finally have the ordeal behind you. The ring is just gorgeous! And hey, at least you'll have a great story to tell your grandkids one day :rotfl2:

Oh my goodness, what a story :scared1: But I am glad that it turned out well in the end and your ring is just beautiful :cutie:

I was looking at the maps for Universal Resort area and also on Portofino's website and it doesn't look like Portofino is too far away.

Universal-Orlando-Resort-map-06.gif

Wow! That is gorgeous!!! Keep it safe. LOL!
Thanks! I love it, it's new all over again! It is already insured, and I will be very careful!
Aww that is gorgeous!!! What a beautiful ring!
Thank you, Ben did a good job picking it out!
What a story! Yes, do keep your new beautiful ring safe.
I will do my very best!
Hi, I'm joining in! I LOVE that you intersperse the trip details with the wedding details :lovestruc:lovestruc
As initial horrifying the engagement ring story was, I'm glad it ended happily. Seems like your fiance will do anything to make you happy!
You will love US and Portofino Bay-- it's sooo gorgeous. Plus-- you can either take the boat or WALK to both parks (US studios is slightly closer to PB, I believe). If you and your DFi love bar-cruising, you guys will love City Walk! It has such a great, upbeat feel! If you can't tell, I'm a huuuuge US/IOA fan. (Nothing like Disney, though!)
Welcome aboard! I can't help but throw in the wedding details, it's such a huge part of our loves right now.
Universal is sounding better and better! I think we'll absolutely check out CityWalk.. we do enjoy a good drink or two :lmao:
I may pick your brain for more Universal knowledge, if that's ok!
Oh my gosh, that story made me sick to my stomach. I was terrified I was going to lose my ring in Disney - I even brought a fake one to wear while we were at the parks but I of course had to wear the real one!

I bet you are so excited to finally have the ordeal behind you. The ring is just gorgeous! And hey, at least you'll have a great story to tell your grandkids one day :rotfl2:
It was awful. I'm already thinking about leaving my rings at home when we go to Jamaica... but I want to wear my brand new band that I'll have just got!
Oh my goodness, what a story :scared1: But I am glad that it turned out well in the end and your ring is just beautiful :cutie:

I was looking at the maps for Universal Resort area and also on Portofino's website and it doesn't look like Portofino is too far away.
Oh, thanks for posting the map! It does look like everything's pretty well accessible. This is going to be fun!

what a dramatic lunch time i've had...could seriously feel your pain in the ring story...and to a lesser extent obvs with the crocs!!! but your ring looks beautiful now and what a romantic val's gift!!! its lovely to have someone that really thinks about the present insta=ead of just the regular card/flowers/chocolate!:lovestruc

really excited to read your trip report as showed dbf poly on you tube last night and he loved it...so could be heading that direction in 2012!!! now just need to start saving!:rolleyes1

love the centrepiece idea! and can't wait to see what tiara you've chose (was reading fast, maybe you've already picked!)

what a dramatic lunch time i've had...could seriously feel your pain in the ring story...and to a lesser extent obvs with the crocs!!! but your ring looks beautiful now and what a romantic val's gift!!! its lovely to have someone that really thinks about the present insta=ead of just the regular card/flowers/chocolate!:lovestruc

really excited to read your trip report as showed dbf poly on you tube last night and he loved it...so could be heading that direction in 2012!!! now just need to start saving!:rolleyes1

love the centrepiece idea! and can't wait to see what tiara you've chose (was reading fast, maybe you've already picked!)

Thanks for sympathizing with our stories! We didn't tell anyone back home at first (since I had a replacement ring, no one thought anything was odd) because it was too fresh. By now, everyone knows the story and I think we're fully recovered! Hopefully nothing bad as that happens any time soon!

I am SO excited to be trying out the Poly, it is such a gorgeous place. Hope you get to stay there on your next trip!

Haven't picked a tiara yet... it is still on the list of things that need do-ing. All the major decisions have been done, but now there all kinds of little things I still need to get to. And the weeks are just slipping by!

I sat down this morning to 'finish' invitations because I want to send them out tomorrow (2 months till the wedding! eep :scared1: )
I finished around 6... the whole day pretty much gone. I made the invitations back in January, and thought I'd just seal them and mail them. But we had decided to invite kids since then (I didn't really want to, but it became kinda necessary and now I am ok with it). And I realized that I had to add names to the invitation somehow so the parents knew the kids were invited!
They're pocket-folds and I didn't do inner envelopes. So I printed tags and had to tie them on. More than a month ago we had an invite assembly party and had already tied the ribbon around the invites. I spent the whole day untying them and retying them with the tags. Sigh. Anyone out there planning a wedding, don't make complicated invites. In fact, don't make your invites at all. Even with doing it in stages over a long time, I still just wasted a WHOLE day working on them!

That was a big cry-baby vent, I don't blame anyone for skipping it! But I do feel a little better now.

Awww bless you :hug: It must have been really frustrating. But at least its done now and you have one less thing to worry about :goodvibes

Gosh, two months eh? Not long now. Whats left to do now?

I understand where you are coming from on the whole kids thing. Whilst I love kids, I am not really sure that I want them my wedding either. But they come part of the package with our families now so there is not much you can do. DF always says to me, try to remember that one day you will be the person being invited once you have kids.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter