What would you do? GAC

Esmeralda123

Earning My Ears
I am new to this board but love it! I am taking a friend and her seven year old daughter to WDW in two weeks-her daughter will have open heart surgery when she gets back and can do very limited walking. We are going to get her A GAC card and have a note from her doctor that will allow her to use her stroller as a wheelchair.

My question is this-I will be taking my 5 year old daughter as well. She has mild CP, juvenile arthritis, asthma, ADD and has recently been diagnosed with PDD(a type of autism). I have taken her to WDW before and with very careful planning, we have toured with no special assistance. My problem is this-she LOVES her stroller, it seems to calm her and be a safe haven in crowds. However, I don't know if it would be completely truthful to say she was unable to wait in lines. She can and has, it just makes touring much harder. But, if she sees Rebekah staying in her stroller and I tell her to get out of hers, she will have a major meltdown. She is speech delayed-mainly receptive language. How can I explain this to her? Would she be eligible for a GAC card? If so, how do you handle people who think we are trying to take advantage of the rules-if you look at her and are not medically trained, you would not "see" anything wrong. When I asked her pediatrician about writing a note he said that "WDW is not a necessity and if it is too difficult, she shouldnt go" AAAARRRGGGGHHH!

Any advice and suggestions are welcome!

Yes you can get a GAC for her. She has autism, juvenile arthritis and CP. Make your and her life easier and ask for a GAC allowing her to remain her her stroller and use it as a wheelchair. Avoid that meltdown.

Get the GAC and get a new pediatrician. Heck if a parent of a child with a disability didn't do things because they thought it was to difficult you would never see anyone with a disability.

Of course you should get and use a GAC. The pediatrician needs a course in sensitivity and the value of recreation therapy. WDW is a wonderful place to take special needs kids, and just look at the Give Kids The World complex, and what they do for medically fragile and seriously ill children.. WDW is a perfect place for kids with special needs. Your pediatrician is misinformed. You don't realy need a note unless you are anticipating any medical issues, although many of us take one just in case. I keep one with me at all times anyway, in case of any medical emergency, so that folks in the ER would hve a quick introduction and the numbers to call for information.

PDD/autistic spectrum kids often do better in strollers or wheelchairs because of the deep pressure and confinement, which is calming. I managed to teach my son to do OK in lines, but when the lines are 'touchy' we do use the GAC to go to the more protected entrances. Believe me, the people in line do not like it when a child is freaking out next to them... it isn't the rides that make my son nervous, it is the crowd of people. We pay the same as everyone else to get through those gates, and chances are that we will spend much less time and use more time to take breaks, go change diapers, deal with meltdowns... The folks at Disney understand that, and they offer the GAC so that we can get the vacation we need, and not just miss out (as your pediatrician suggests...)

Be sure to check out the FAQ, and feel free to ask questions. Don't worry about people who stare or make comments... they have no power over you. You do what you have to do to make things right for your family.

Is the stroller a medical necessity for your DD? Possibly not.
Will your trip be enhanced with having it in line? Definately.
With the problems your DD has, waiting in line is going to be more tiring for her than the average 5 year old. With juvenile arthritis and CP, walking and just standing take more effort than for other kids her age. If you add the other problems she has, it makes sense for you at least to have the option of deciding whether you want to bring her stroller in lines with you. Especially since she will be with someone who needs the stroller and you can't explain that to her.
As was already posted, you don't need a doctor's letter to get a GAC; just be prepared to explain what your problems are.

Thanks everyone SO much for your replies! I feel much better about asking for the Guest Assistance Pass. I was worried that I would have to have a doctor's note, and then thought I could probably get one from her psychiatrist but we don't have another visit planned before the trip.

It is so hard to know what the fine line is-I want her to be able to mainstream as much as possible, and although none of her individual disabilities may be severe enough to need the pass, cumulatively it will make for a MUCH easier vacation if she is allowed to stay in her stroller.

Thanks a million! I am so excited-11 more days and my first stay at Poly concierge :-)

I second Michie's suggestiong to get a new pediatrician...

If my parents (read Father) listened when I was born to Drs telling that "if it was too difficilt I just shouldnt do it" or "She wont be able to lead a full and productive life" (yes I had been told that as a child) I wouldnt be sitting here a fairly (use the term loosely LOL) well rounded 27 yr old young woman!!! :D

Oh! and welcome to disABILLITIES!!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter