What Would You Do? (Fender Bender) Update Post #133

OP-could you also ask for a picture of the completed work? That way you can compare to the pictures you took.

That’s why I said the OP would refer it. How would they know what insurance company to call?
This one could depend on state laws. Like I mentioned in one of my earlier comments in my state it's required to exchange this information. Withholding your insurance information in my state is illegal. OP should check their state though.

Here's the thing. Op, you hit the other person's property. And you took pics of the damage done and there was damage done originally. And you admitted to your fault. So, you're paying at some point either from your purse or your insurance company's.

When I backed into a 15 year old 4 by 4 truck a decade ago, I left a note b/c it was the right thing to do, and an older gentleman called me back. Apparently, I knocked the trailer bed of the 4x4 off kilter, so it was a $900 fix for a really old car (in his original quote to me).

I could have gone round and round, but instead, I had him get 2 other estimates (and the next 2 were $1100 and $1300, so $900 was best, even though I'm not sure his car was worth $900), and we wrote up an agreement that my check for $900 fully closed the incident and he and his car were made completely whole.

Do I think he fixed the car, knowing he got my check in November of that year. No, I'm sure he used it to have a merry Christmas. And I hope it did make his Christmas, and it was one of his best.

I'm a firm believer in doing the right thing, and the right thing is paying for what you broke. It gave me an understanding of why so many people damage cars and walk away. The incidents are too little for insurance hits and too big to normally want to pay.

But, in the grand scheme, money is just money, and doing the right thing is doing the right thing. And karma, in whatever way you believe in it, is a thing.

So, you can keep blowing this up, and trying to avoid payment. But, it's unlikely to fully go away or to go your way at this point. I'd have them send you the pic of the fix, compare it to your original damage pic, and write up a contract between the 2 of you to make this go away. Time is also money.

Again, I dinged a truck at 15mph in a parking lot and it was enough to cause $900 damage a decade ago. Damage ain't cheap to fix...and this ask isn't so huge to make worth spending thousands of dollars in everyone's "time" worth it...IMHO.

Here's the thing. Op, you hit the other person's property. And you took pics of the damage done and there was damage done originally. And you admitted to your fault. So, you're paying at some point either from your purse or your insurance company's.

When I backed into a 15 year old 4 by 4 truck a decade ago, I left a note b/c it was the right thing to do, and an older gentleman called me back. Apparently, I knocked the trailer bed of the 4x4 off kilter, so it was a $900 fix for a really old car (in his original quote to me).

I could have gone round and round, but instead, I had him get 2 other estimates (and the next 2 were $1100 and $1300, so $900 was best, even though I'm not sure his car was worth $900), and we wrote up an agreement that my check for $900 fully closed the incident and he and his car were made completely whole.

Do I think he fixed the car, knowing he got my check in November of that year. No, I'm sure he used it to have a merry Christmas. And I hope it did make his Christmas, and it was one of his best.

I'm a firm believer in doing the right thing, and the right thing is paying for what you broke. It gave me an understanding of why so many people damage cars and walk away. The incidents are too little for insurance hits and too big to normally want to pay.

But, in the grand scheme, money is just money, and doing the right thing is doing the right thing. And karma, in whatever way you believe in it, is a thing.

So, you can keep blowing this up, and trying to avoid payment. But, it's unlikely to fully go away or to go your way at this point. I'd have them send you the pic of the fix, compare it to your original damage pic, and write up a contract between the 2 of you to make this go away. Time is also money.

Again, I dinged a truck at 15mph in a parking lot and it was enough to cause $900 damage a decade ago. Damage ain't cheap to fix...and this ask isn't so huge to make worth spending thousands of dollars in everyone's "time" worth it...IMHO.
The OP has never said they were trying to avoid paying for damage.

If you want to stand your ground and refuse payment, their next step wouldn't be insurance but small claims court.

They have your name and phone number, and obviously your address. It would be your word against theirs, but it sounds like they have the advantage since you admitted to hitting their trailer. You don't need to agree to the total fees, but it's what they produced to you at your request. The options would be to pay it, or don't and await the summons (in my opinion).

:teacher: TIP: Almost ALL photos are time & date stamped nowadays if taken with a smartphone. (Maybe not really old cellphones.) Even if one doesn't set the camera up to date stamp it on the photo. It's called the metadata. One just has to go to the photo file, right mouse click "Properties" and it will bring up the date and time a photo was taken.
I know that. The thing is they didn’t take photos. OP doesn’t have to provide them. The burden of proof is on them.

If you want to stand your ground and refuse payment, their next step wouldn't be insurance but small claims court.

They have your name and phone number, and obviously your address. It would be your word against theirs, but it sounds like they have the advantage since you admitted to hitting their trailer. You don't need to agree to the total fees, but it's what they produced to you at your request. The options would be to pay it, or don't and await the summons (in my opinion).
The cost of repairs (not replacement) is inflated.

257909AD-DA00-4A56-A409-DBFE50DA55A7.jpeg

All well and good except for one little thing...

They laughed. Declined help. Said no big deal.
I laugh, decline help, and say no big deal, I am relieving you of responsibility.

Did you exchange insurance information with the truck guy? If not to file a claim, but to at least report the incident?

And OP openly offered to pay from the get-go. "I'm a believer in doing the right thing," that's entirely the attitude I got from the OP as well, as evidence by her speaking with the workers and giving them her contact info at the time of the incident. OP has every right to ask for an itemized invoice.

You win. This is EXACTLY what happened. Just got the itemized bill. I am shaking with anger. It states:

Hardware: $50
Labor: $850

Labor, by the way, done "in house". By them. I didn't agree to such high labor costs. My husband could have fixed this in minutes.

It is so obvious they are scamming me, but are confident enough to put this garbage in writing.

Why? What do they have up their sleeve that they would be so bold as to have such low hardware charge and such ridiculous labor charges?

Going to discuss with my husband after work.

And a very spiteful part of me wants to post this all on our very active and gossipy Neighborhood Facebook Page, under the guise of asking for advice. Including copies of the bill with company's name showing. I won't, but I want to so very badly.

I need to calm down and gather myself. Just wanted to tell @sam_gordon he should play the lottery, as he must have a crystal ball.
I wouldn't pay it or report it to insurance. That isn't an itemized bill. What was the hardware -do they have a receipt? How many man hours were required -how much did you pay per hour? What was the exact description of "work required"? In court, all of these details will need to be produced to have a case against you. Sounds like they're pretty lazy and not very knowledgeable if you ask me -the chances of them suing you are pretty slim. Make them an offer(in writing) of $250 and tell them to get lost -and have them sign off on the agreement. Done...

It is definitely beyond time to report it to insurance. I agree with the first poster that said to just CALL your company and INQUIRE about what can be done. Once they give you advice, call the trailer guy back and tell him to submit it to your insurance. Done.

But you damaged the bumper AND knocked the trailer bed off; OP caused minor damage so the $900 estimate is way off. I would offer $200 (should be sufficient to repair a minor dent) with a written agreement that it settles everything.

I’m not a lawyer so not sure what a legal write up to protect from future claims would be but in any case don’t just hand over money without negotiation.

https://www.insurancenavy.com/bumper-repair-cost/
9AC1FD50-7935-433D-8EFB-A423A65BA73C.jpeg

OP, call your insurance company immediately and tell them what happened. Then guve this guy your insurance info and let it be. I promise nothing will change with your insurance UNLESS these guys actually file a claim. I had a situation happen many years ago that went like this:

I lived in an apartment with an attached garage. Opposite was an identical apartment building. One day, I got into my car inside the garage, then opened my door and started backing out. There was a car parked (illegally, at a red curb) directly in my car's path, that I saw, but that I misjudged the distance of. I basically backed right into the driver's door and left a HUGE dent. I immediately went back inside, and called my insurance company. The owner of the car called the cops. The cops said it was NOT my fault because the car was illegally parked and was directly preventing me from being able to exit my own garage, which was a violation. The driver argued. The cop offered to write him a ticket for his illegal parking job or give him the chance to drive away, and not bother me about it. He chose to drive away. My insurance didn't go up at all because even though I literally smashed a car door in, and admitted it, no claim was ever filed. The insurance company was never made aware of the encounter with the police. No claim, no increase.

OP, call your insurance company immediately and tell them what happened. Then guve this guy your insurance info and let it be. I promise nothing will change with your insurance UNLESS these guys actually file a claim. I had a situation happen many years ago that went like this:

I lived in an apartment with an attached garage. Opposite was an identical apartment building. One day, I got into my car inside the garage, then opened my door and started backing out. There was a car parked (illegally, at a red curb) directly in my car's path, that I saw, but that I misjudged the distance of. I basically backed right into the driver's door and left a HUGE dent. I immediately went back inside, and called my insurance company. The owner of the car called the cops. The cops said it was NOT my fault because the car was illegally parked and was directly preventing me from being able to exit my own garage, which was a violation. The driver argued. The cop offered to write him a ticket for his illegal parking job or give him the chance to drive away, and not bother me about it. He chose to drive away. My insurance didn't go up at all because even though I literally smashed a car door in, and admitted it, no claim was ever filed. The insurance company was never made aware of the encounter with the police. No claim, no increase.
Unfortunately, that cop was extremely wrong. You are still responsible for the damage to a car that is parked, even illegally. You were liable for the damage to that car. I hope you sent the cop a thank you card! 😂

PS -OP, call your insurance if it makes you feel better but remember they don’t protect you -they protect themselves

Unfortunately, that cop was extremely wrong.
That's why for insurance purposes police reports do not determine fault. I used to use them for things like "insured disputes incident for new business chargeability" in which case I could look at things like citations received and use the diagrams and information contained on the police report.

I could see had the PP's claim gone through a split fault determination made.

Reactions: GAN

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter