What Would You Do? (Fender Bender) Update Post #133

Pink Partridge

DIS Veteran
Two months ago, the (texting) girl in front of me started backing up instead of going forward at a stop sign. She must have had it in park to text and was looking completely down. Once she realized someone was behind her, she threw it into reverse. I saw the lights, and backed up to avoid her hitting me. She did not hit me. Caught herself, and sped off.

Unfortunately, when I back up, I hit a landscaping trailer parked on the street. Not hard. I had scrape on my bumper. The trailer was makeshift. Wooden. Perhaps homemade. I went to the yard to tell the two guys doing work. We inspected the trailer and did see a metal rod was bent. Did I do it? Did they do it prior? I don't know. It looked like something my husband could fix in a jiffy. They laughed. Declined help. Said no big deal. I gave my name and phone number. After all, I was at fault if they needed help.

Never heard from them. Until yesterday. I got a bill in the mail for $900!! Two months later. The trailer itself couldn't have been worth that much.

I guess the company the men worked for tracked me down via my name. I have a unique name, so it would not be difficult to do. I called the company (local) and asked for an itemized bill. All they sent me was an invoice on company letterhead that said "Trailer Repair: $900".

The manager said it was fixed "in house" and if I would like, he could report the accident and we could go through insurance. His tone basically said he is NOT going to give me an itemized bill. I am to just pay him the $900 and be done with it all.

I am 100% at fault for the bent rod. But why 2 months later? Why no itemized bill? And why $900? For all I know, they could have had other damages done since then and using me to pick up the tab.

What would you do? Just pay and be done? Call my insurance? There is no police report. And I am sure my insurance will go up if I submit this. Is it worth just begrudgingly paying the $900 and going on my merry way?

Last edited:
Two months ago, the (texting) girl in front of me started backing up instead of going forward at a stop sign. She must have had it in park to text and was looking completely down. Once she realized someone was behind her, she threw it into reverse. I saw the lights, and backed up to avoid her hitting me. She did not hit me. Caught herself, and sped off.

Unfortunately, when I back up, I hit a landscaping trailer parked on the street. Not hard. I had scrape on my bumper. The trailer was makeshift. Wooden. Perhaps homemade. I went to the yard to tell the two guys doing work. We inspected the trailer and did see a metal rod was bent. Did I do it? Did they do it prior? I don't know. It looked like something my husband could fix in a jiffy. They laughed. Declined help. Said no big deal. I gave my name and phone number. After all, I was at fault if they needed help.

Never heard from them. Until yesterday. I got a bill in the mail for $900!! Two months later. The trailer itself couldn't have been worth that much.

I guess the company the men worked for tracked me down via my name. I have a unique name, so it would not be difficult to do. I called the company (local) and asked for an itemized bill. All they sent me was an invoice on company letterhead that said "Trailer Repair: $900".

The manager said it was fixed "in house" and if I would like, he could report the accident and we could go through insurance. His tone basically said he is NOT going to give me an itemized bill. I am to just pay him the $900 and be done with it all.

I am 100% at fault for the bent rod. But why 2 months later? Why no itemized bill? And why $900? For all I know, they could have had other damages done since then and using me to pick up the tab.

What would you do? Just pay and be done? Call my insurance? There is no police report. And I am sure my insurance will go up if I submit this. Is it worth just begrudgingly paying the $900 and going on my merry way?
Wow. I'm sure there will be others with a lot more knowledge, but I'm thinking here are the various options...

1) Refuse to pay it without an itemized bill of what was fixed.
2) Contact my insurance company, not to file a claim, but to explain the situation and ask for their advice.
3) Say "ok, let's go through insurance. Of course, if you're charging me more than what it should be, that would be insurance fraud and I'll let the insurance company determine what happens."
4) Pay the $900.

Personally, I think I'd start with #2. I'd be kicking myself that I didn't take pictures of the "damage" the day of the accident.

Wow. I'm sure there will be others with a lot more knowledge, but I'm thinking here are the various options...

2) Contact my insurance company, not to file a claim, but to explain the situation and ask for their advice.
3) Say "ok, let's go through insurance. Of course, if you're charging me more than what it should be, that would be insurance fraud and I'll let the insurance company determine what happens."
4) Pay the $900.

Personally, I think I'd start with #2. I'd be kicking myself that I didn't take pictures of the "damage" the day of the accident.
Oh! I DO have pictures!! This thing looks like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang to begin with.

No I would not pay it. They’d need an inspection and itemized bill for insurance. If they’ve fixed it “in house,” they don’t have that. People like to threaten to take it to your insurance but it’s not *that* big of a deal if you have a good record. My older DD had a fender bender (more like a barely scratched another vehicle) and they called me with an $8,000 “estimate.” I told them to call my insurance company. They kept saying you don’t want to do that. I think my bill went up $9 a month for a year. 🤷🏻‍♀️ You pay for insurance for a reason. I’d tell them go ahead and call your insurance. Chances are you’ll probably never hear from them again.

That's a tough one, and I'm sorry. For just this reason we always report even the tiniest incident to our insurance carrier. Reporting doesn't automatically result in a claim but it does provide the services needed to protect against this sort of incident. Even now, you may be able to report and have the claim investigated and paid through your policy, with you reimbursing them so there is no "loss" and no increase in your premiums. (Our insurance rules and policy details allow us to do that here.) A call or letter from your insurance company, requiring their insurance carrier to provide "proof of loss" may do something to sort out the bill.

Short of that, yes, I guess you just pay it, but I'd also want a document signed by everybody involved (including the workers - did you get their names?) agreeing that the settlement is full-and-final, just in case somebody tries to bring a bogus injury claim forward at a later date. Again, I'm sorry and I wish you well. :flower3:

4) Pay the $900.

One caveat to #2. Make sure you put it your insurance company as a hypothetical situation. Otherwise you’re filing a claim and you don’t want to do that if you don’t have to. (At least that’s how it was put to me when I called about the situation I mentioned) I absolutely would not pay the $900 under any circumstances. What proof would you have that’s the end of it? Your insurance company is there to protect you from this kind of thing. Throw the ball into their court. “I’m not paying that, you’re welcome to contact my insurance.” You have pics and whatnot. You’ll be fine.

I would have let the girl in front back into me. But that's past, no way am I paying anything. If they sent you a bill two months later but didn't hear from anyone else, they didn't report it to the police or their insurance company. No commercial insurance company is going to let a client fix their own equipment unless that is their business. I'd ignore it, but that may just be me.

Also when I called my insurance about our incident they did math for me. Let’s say this costs you an extra $15 a month. 15x12= 180. Let’s say it goes on for three years (doubtful) that’s $540. You are still ahead. Unless you’re a terrible driver with a terrible record don’t be afraid of your insurance.

Ask your insurance company if it is a "chargeable" accident. In NY it was that if damages were under a certain amount it was not chargeable. Been out of insurance for 2 years so not sure if this is still the case. Find out if you lose a claim free discount if you submit the claim.

As far as letting the person back into you, when I was working this happened to someone and the person who backed up changed their story and said the person behind hit them. Since one had front end damage and the other rear end and no police report, the insurance company paid for the rear end damage.

I'd turn it over to your insurance. You pay them not only to pay for damage, but to negotiate how much the repair costs.
Of course you will have to pay whatever your deductible is.

I agree that it's best to call your insurance company for advice. Your agent is there to help you sort these things out and decide on the best course of action. That's why your pay your premiums.

Short of that, yes, I guess you just pay it, but I'd also want a document signed by everybody involved (including the workers - did you get their names?) agreeing that the settlement is full-and-final, just in case somebody tries to bring a bogus injury claim forward at a later date. :flower3:

This, 100%, ESPECIALLY with that signed document by all parties BEFORE payment is given.

They laughed. Declined help. Said no big deal.
in hindsight at that point I would've just bailed. no names and phone numbers. but that's sunk so here we are.

personally I'd ignore this for a very long time and make them go through hoops to prove anything and everything. They had their chance to talk business with you and didn't. The case was closed at that point so yeah. They're going to have to really, really pursue me for 900 dollars.

Too bad you gave your info. You are a better person that I am LOL! Like a pp said, I would have waved and left after they declined any further action. Too late for that, but I would not pay it. I would let them know they have 2 weeks to give you an itemized bill and then you will contact your insurance. Chances are you will not hear from them.

I wonder if you did any damage at all. If the trailer was as old and dilapidated as you say, it probably had lots of damage before you backed into it. You could call your insurance and tell them the situation and that you are waiting for an itemized bill.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter