What were Virtual Hugs and are they still doing them at WDW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DodgerGirl

Crazy For The Mandalorian
I noticed that during the pandemic when they didn't have character meet and greets Walt Disney World had offered something called Virtual Hugs and i'm curious to know what Virtual Hugs were? Was this a special meet and greet where guests took photos with character images and that character gave them "hugs" and after the photo was done that photo had a virtual autograph printed on it? And are Virtual Hugs still given today or did they retire them?

I noticed that during the pandemic when they didn't have character meet and greets Walt Disney World had offered something called Virtual Hugs and i'm curious to know what Virtual Hugs were? Was this a special meet and greet where guests took photos with character images and that character gave them "hugs" and after the photo was done that photo had a virtual autograph printed on it? And are Virtual Hugs still given today or did they retire them?
It was like an air hug. No they don't do these now that normal meet and greets have returned

Virtual Hugs were air hugs? I wondered how they did that? Did they have plush Disney characters and filled them with air like balloons and the characters "hugged" guests like hugging a stuffed animal? It's a shame that Walt Disney World did away with Virtual Hugs once character meet and greets returned because they would've been a neat idea to keep doing for people who didn't want to wait in line for characters
Thanks for the awesome info
Dodger

Virtual Hugs were air hugs? I wondered how they did that? Did they have plush Disney characters and filled them with air like balloons and the characters "hugged" guests like hugging a stuffed animal? It's a shame that Walt Disney World did away with Virtual Hugs once character meet and greets returned because they would've been a neat idea to keep doing for people who didn't want to wait in line for characters
Dodger
There were no individual meet ‘n greets until recently. Characters were stationed a distance from guests with ‘barriers’ between them and interacted more with entire groups. They stopped at time to pose for pictures but not necessarily with a specific person as there were many guests watching them at the same time.

I agree with @mon2rtk that any ‘virtual hugs’ were guest initiated and possibly returned by some characters but I did not see any of these. I would think of the interactions more like when a character on a float in a parade waves at someone from a distance.

This is a pic from be of the distanced meet n greets we experienced with Pooh in Jan.

A230AF70-84BB-4DE0-8C2C-BFEB56E29AF5.jpeg

they did have more intimate distanced interactions in some normal locations like Mickey in town square, fairytale hall the characters were just behind a rope and there was limited photopass

Did Mickey in his 50th outfit post wine & dine 10k (person behind us in line took our pics) & fairytale hall post Everest (person behind took my pic with Tiana than CM took my pic with Jasmine {he’d been busy taking pictures of the woman in front of me when I was visiting princess #1) also did Disney Junior meets in studios post Everest all with photopass…

Dodger
There are companies that do make inflatable characters filled with air - some have a person inside but some can be secured to something sturdy and do not require a person. I've never seen one with a plush feel, but it's probably not impossible.

Here's an example with people hugging the inflatables. It's actually a very imaginative idea that I'm sure some children would love to hug. Although Disney wouldn't need to launch this because they did the distanced characters instead and that protects their "way of doing things," plus the inflatables would need to be cleaned in between hugs during COVID. Not practical.

That being said there were tons of people that really missed the hugs so... It's actually not he most outlandish idea in the world! You have a great imagination @DodgerGirl!

Attachments

• 1686061143943.png
    1686061143943.png
    567 KB · Views: 3
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter