What WDW Vets Need to Know About Dining at DLR

Good memory ! WCC is not my cup of tea, but not because of the food......it is the "hijinks" aspect. I pay people not to ask for ketchup LOL ! My family so loves BBQ that it becomes another "suck it up and act happy" meal. Only my DIS buddies know the truth........
Our lips...errrr, keyboards... are sealed. :)

Good memory ! WCC is not my cup of tea, but not because of the food......it is the "hijinks" aspect. I pay people not to ask for ketchup LOL ! My family so loves BBQ that it becomes another "suck it up and act happy" meal. Only my DIS buddies know the truth........

Then you will probably like Big Thunder, it is BBQ with a show, but no real hijinks. They may ask you to participate, but may not, nothing too embarrassing though.

Awwhhh! My kids LOVE to ask for ketchup at WCC! :laughing: (And they love talking people who've never been there into asking for it!) :thumbsup2

When I first started to go to DLR, I booked my reservations and thought it was odd I didn't get a confirmation number like we get at WDW. The CM just laughed and told me "we have this under control, don't worry." I was on pins and needles until I got there. Guess what, never had a problem with reservations. I really do like the ease of booking at DLR.

To the other WDW vets, correct me if I'm wrong, but not all the restaurants charge the $10 fee. I just came back from WDW three (3) weeks ago, and only the restaurants that requested a CC, were the higher volume restaurants like 1900 Park Fare, Cape May Cafe, Crystal Palace, etc. Ones like Boma, Kona, Todd English's, etc. did not.

I just adapt to whatever coast I'm on now. These boards are fantastic for providing valuable information. :worship:

Then you will probably like Big Thunder, it is BBQ with a show, but no real hijinks. They may ask you to participate, but may not, nothing too embarrassing though.

I would not compare it to WCC. The entertainment is on stage, singers, piano player etc, your servers just worry about the food.

I think they asked about birthdays and sang but no "hijinks" I also thought the food was a lot better at BTRBBQ than the last time we did WCC.

Head to Farrells which is 8 miles away from Disneyland in Brea. Ya, you gotta leave Disneyland and its only an option if you have a car, but at WDW its going to take you 40-60 minutes to hop around as well. If you have your own car, Farrells is a classic ice cream parlor that makes Beaches & Cream pale in comparison.

I love Farrells. They closed them all about 20 or more years ago in Washington...

Any thoughts on how to handle meal for Thanksgiving? Where and when would you recommend? Not too sure of our plans yet, but want to be prepared with something to bring up to extended family. Hopefully a group of 10-12, but possibly only 6. Onsite or just off site? Group ranging from toddler to teen to 50. Due to crowds I am thinking we may need to get a reservation for one big meal, probably late afternoon or early evening, if possible. Also, during the days around that day will we need lots of reservations or will we be able to do counter service if we try to eat mostly outside of high meal times?

There are some folks on the boards that like Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen for Thanksgiving. I am sure Napa Rose would do something as well....

I know this isn't Disney but Knott's has a great Thanksgiving Buffet that we have done a few years now. Must did it again last year. A lot of food and fun. They take reservations about 30 days in advance. Plenty of tables. Does not require park admission. Desert included. There is so much variety it is hard to believe. We ate at the Wilderness Lodge. Snoopy even paid us a visit.

Something to consider for those looking to find something different for Thanksgiving.

Great info HG. Is there any of the Disneyland Dines that are not appropriate for kids 5-9y/o? Anywhere I should avoid? thanks
I have not been to all of the DLR restaurants and probably never will.

Inside the parks all restaurants are fine for kids 5-9. Napa Rose at the GCH may be above that age group. Although I have been inside it and walk passed it dozens of times, I have never been able to get my crew there for a meal. So i can't say from my own experience.

Another WDW vet, although I used to be a DL vet (it's been 10+ years since our last visit to DL)... At WDW, one of the great things is the pre-park opening reservation. We love to have one for MK to get pics of a nearly empty Main Street.

Is this an option for DL? We are headed there at the beginning of May and I'm itching to call and make my reservations.

TIA!

Another WDW vet, although I used to be a DL vet (it's been 10+ years since our last visit to DL)... At WDW, one of the great things is the pre-park opening reservation. We love to have one for MK to get pics of a nearly empty Main Street.

Is this an option for DL? We are headed there at the beginning of May and I'm itching to call and make my reservations.

TIA!

Yes! Minnie & Friend's breakfast at Plaza Inn! You can get a reservation for 50 minutes prior to the official park opening.

Today is day 60 for us. We arrive in the morning, but late. I will be calling to make a WOC Dining reservation because my guess is that the Fastpasses will be gone by the time we can get to the park.

My question is this, can I make reservations for all of my trip since I arrive in 60 days for 5 nights or do I have to keep calling back every day for 5 days?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter