What WDW Vets Need to Know About Dining at DLR

I agree with hydroguy's advice to think about dining at DLR in flexible terms. Our daughter is just shy of 3, and flexibility in dining is key if we want to avoid restaurant meltdowns. We've scheduled just two TS meals for our upcoming trip, both to celebrate a birthday, and are open to adding more TS depending on DDs mood, but are essentially just counting on CS.

When we went on our honeymoon to WDW in 2007, DH and I felt rushed during our TS meals - ever since the dining plan became popular, it seems like restaurants try to work diners through their meals much faster. We were living in Europe at the time, and the contrast couldn't have been more stark - we were used to taking 2 hours plus for an enjoyable meal. Now we were being rushed out in 45 minutes. I loved that at Goofy's Kitchen this past January, we were able to sit there and enjoy the meal and the characters for well over an hour and a half!

Bump. Trey let me know if you want this to be a sticky, although that is often the "kiss of death"

Bump. Trey let me know if you want this to be a sticky, although that is often the "kiss of death"
LOL, I think this is fine just being in my tips thread. I just know that many times I have wanted to have a thread like this available to just post a link to a WDW vet who appears to be over-obsessing about DLR dining.

If you and MJ think it would be of value in her big super sticky, feel free. If anything I would put it with other dining threads and not with my other links. Your call.

:)

Thanks, HydroGuy.

This is a very helpful thread, and very worthwhile reading.

I didn't realize that dining at DLR was so flexible.

I added the Disney Dining number to my cell phone. :goodvibes

:earsboy:

Thank you for such a helpful thread. :thumbsup2

We're very much looking forward to our first visit to Disneyland in August 2013 :cool1: and I'm just starting to venture over here to try and get as much information as I can. :goodvibes

Judy, I have seen you post this opinion before and I think it is a great opinion to post. ::yes::

Since I am not a WDW vet but a DLR vet first and foremost, I do not find anything "wrong" with DLR dining.

But...

I do miss things like Sci-Fi Dine-In. Food pretty good IMO if you like burgers. But atmosphere is everything a Disney restaurant should be. I heard they were thinking about something similar for Cars Land and it did not make the final cut. But something like that at CL would be awesome. :thumbsup2

We also like Beaches & Cream - I have not found anything like this at DLR. We like Whispering Canyon. The Big Thunder Ranch BBQ is the closest thing at DLR and not too bad.

We sort of like Boma's but there is nothing at all like this at DLR as you pointed out.

50's Prime Time Diner? Nope, nothing at DLR like this.

I have not made it to all the Epcot World Showcase restaurants yet. We have done San Angel (inside), Naples, Teppan Edo, Rose & Crown and Le Cellier. DLR just can't offer this kind of variety or setting.

On the other hand, Blue Bayou does not have anything quite like it at WDW - unless you count San Angel at Epcot. Sort of.

Bottom line for us is that we are not pickie eaters or foodies and the DLR options always work for us just fine. I just wish they expanded into more creative areas like Sci-Fi or 50's Prime Time.

:)

I agree with you about 90% on this....the thing for me is, and maybe because Ive been to DL soooooo many times that the food is just blah and its the same old thing all the time but wdw???? now THATS another story...the ONLY place I ate at that I havent liked so far is WP...and i dont think its due to his menu choices more so than the people that are preparing them..I absolutely ♥♥♥♥ wdw dining and other than CS burgers and such and of course my favorite Minnie and Friends and Surfs Up with Mickey, Im not that impressed by DL dining...btw, I just found out recently that PCH grill has a similar "kitchen sink" I guess its bigger than at wdw but eh at least its something right??

Any thoughts on how to handle meal for Thanksgiving? Where and when would you recommend? Not too sure of our plans yet, but want to be prepared with something to bring up to extended family. Hopefully a group of 10-12, but possibly only 6. Onsite or just off site? Group ranging from toddler to teen to 50. Due to crowds I am thinking we may need to get a reservation for one big meal, probably late afternoon or early evening, if possible. Also, during the days around that day will we need lots of reservations or will we be able to do counter service if we try to eat mostly outside of high meal times?

Any thoughts on how to handle meal for Thanksgiving? Where and when would you recommend? Not too sure of our plans yet, but want to be prepared with something to bring up to extended family. Hopefully a group of 10-12, but possibly only 6. Onsite or just off site? Group ranging from toddler to teen to 50. Due to crowds I am thinking we may need to get a reservation for one big meal, probably late afternoon or early evening, if possible. Also, during the days around that day will we need lots of reservations or will we be able to do counter service if we try to eat mostly outside of high meal times?
I do not have any thoughts. Hopefully someone else does?

Thanks for this!

I'm planning our August trip to DLR and have been wondering about those reservations for our meals.

A friend of mine who goes to WDW every Thxgiving swears by going to Mickey's BBQ @ FW for their Thxgiving dinner. Perhaps Big Thunder Ranch BBQ might be a good solution for a non-traditional Thxgiving dinner?

-Kevin

A friend of mine who goes to WDW every Thxgiving swears by going to Mickey's BBQ @ FW for their Thxgiving dinner. Perhaps Big Thunder Ranch BBQ might be a good solution for a non-traditional Thxgiving dinner?

-Kevin

Thanks for the suggestion. I will have to see if I can talk my very picky teenager into it. He hates BBQ sauce and the only thing I think he make eat there is a little bit of the chicken and maybe the corn bread. Of course that's pretty similar to Thanksgiving anyway since he only eats a little turkey and maybe some green beans, and of course the rolls. :sad2:

Thanks again. That's a possibility. :thumbsup2

I called yesterday and made a reservation at blue bayou, its our first ftrip to Disneyland. The person who answered the phone never gave us a confirmation code like we always get at WDW is this the norm, or did something get messed up.

Thanks

There is an episode on food network about holiday dining in disneyland and there was some really good looking t-day stuff. It might be on youtube or netflix. It was guy's disney holiday or something like that. It originally aired in 2009 so some things have changed or may no longer be relevant, it re-airs every year, I first saw it this past thanksgiving.

I called yesterday and made a reservation at blue bayou, its our first ftrip to Disneyland. The person who answered the phone never gave us a confirmation code like we always get at WDW is this the norm, or did something get messed up.

Thanks
It's the norm. Don't worry. :)

Thanks for the suggestion. I will have to see if I can talk my very picky teenager into it. He hates BBQ sauce and the only thing I think he make eat there is a little bit of the chicken and maybe the corn bread.

The chicken does not have BBQ sauce on it. Its seasoned and baked. We had to request BBQ sauce. The cornbread is super yummy- sweet and moist.

Yes, but it drives us 'Worlders' nuts. :) :eek:

-Kevin
WDW has conditioned many Worlders to salivate and perspire and instinctively reach for your nearest web browser whenever the word "dining reservation" is mentioned. It can be hard getting used to DLR's more relaxed offerings. But try!

:wizard:

This thread makes me NOT want to visit WDW! LOL! I just dont do well being on a schedule during vacation. I like to eat when I'm hungry, not when I thought I might be hungry six months ago.

For our recent trip to DLR we had to reservations. One for Minnie and Friends and one for BB. That was it for 5 days! Love how laid back dining is at DLR. And we really do enjoy the food and the options.

Thanks for all the awesome info! We are WDW vets and are currently in the planning stages for our first DL visit, hopefully early Nov, 2013.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter