What was the first non 9 to 5 job you got?

I'm not sure I've ever worked exactly 9:00-5:00. - Maybe a temp job one summer in college?

My first jobs of all were babysitting, which was all over the place hours-wise. Then a college resume service, which was mostly evenings.

My first full-time job after college was in mutual funds, and that was 10:00-6:00, then 7:30-3:30. (I liked the earlier hours way better!!)

I had an 8:30 - 5:30 office job once and that was probably the closest. We were given an unpaid hour off for lunch so the day was 9 hours. I was working that job shortly after the movie came out and I was like "what?" The whole working 9 - 5 thing seems wrong to me, because I've never known anyone in a lower paid position with a paid, duty free lunch.

When I was teaching we had a 1/2 hour lunch as part of our day, but we weren't paid by the hour and it wasn't always duty free. Now working in a library I'm required to take an unpaid 1/2 hour lunch on any shift over 5 hours..

My first full-time job (about a million years ago) was working nights at an answering service, running an old-fashioned cord board. 10:00 pm - 6:00 am.

I had an 8:30 - 5:30 office job once and that was probably the closest. We were given an unpaid hour off for lunch so the day was 9 hours. I was working that job shortly after the movie came out and I was like "what?" The whole working 9 - 5 thing seems wrong to me, because I've never known anyone in a lower paid position with a paid, duty free lunch.

i was FLOORED when my oldest got an entry level job that not only provided a 'lunch' (different meal bfast/lunch/dinner depending on shift) but gave paid meal breaks :faint:, yup a shift can be 9-5 and it would include 2 15 minute breaks and 30 for lunch all on the clock. i NEVER got a paid lunch break unless it was a working lunch (like attending a conference or a meeting) no matter how high i got in my salaried positions).

25 years of 11 pm to 7 am with about a year of almost every schedule, followed by 16 years of 3 am to 11:30 am.

Last edited:
i was FLOORED when my oldest got an entry level job that not only provided a 'lunch' (different meal bfast/lunch/dinner depending on shift) but gave paid meal breaks :faint:, yup a shift can be 9-5 and it would include 2 15 minute breaks and 30 for lunch all on the clock. i NEVER got a paid lunch break unless it was a working lunch (like attending a conference or a meeting) no matter how high i got in my salaried positions).
As always, California has different laws. You have to get an unpaid meal break of at least 30 minutes. It can't be sooner than three hours after the start of your shift, or later than 5 hours after the start of your shift. If you don't get a meal break within that time frame, the employer has to pay you 1 hour pay at straight time as a penalty, and time and a half for the time that your break came too soon, or too late. So if you work 6 hours straight without a meal break you get your 8 hours straight time pay, plus 1 hour straight pay as the penalty for the late meal break, plus 1 hour time and a half for the late break.
I only mention that because in my last job it was common for people to work 8 straight without a meal break by our choice. Then the company found out that was illegal. I was only there a little over a year, but I got a check for that added up to 1 3/4 hours pay for every day I worked for a year (1 hour straight time plus 30 minutes time and a half.) For people who had been working there 3 years and had never gotten a meal break, the company went back 3 years with those penalties. One guy bought a new Nissan 350 Z with his penalty check.

Don’t think I’ve ever had strict 9-5: six flags was whatever, retail was whatever, dietary supervisor mostly 530-2, Disney was later shift, even clinical in hospital was able to kinda set my own hours 730-9 start with 8.5 hours to end. For last 6 years independent contractor so my hours are whatever I need to work.

As always, California has different laws. You have to get an unpaid meal break of at least 30 minutes. It can't be sooner than three hours after the start of your shift, or later than 5 hours after the start of your shift. If you don't get a meal break within that time frame, the employer has to pay you 1 hour pay at straight time as a penalty, and time and a half for the time that your break came too soon, or too late. So if you work 6 hours straight without a meal break you get your 8 hours straight time pay, plus 1 hour straight pay as the penalty for the late meal break, plus 1 hour time and a half for the late break.
I only mention that because in my last job it was common for people to work 8 straight without a meal break by our choice. Then the company found out that was illegal. I was only there a little over a year, but I got a check for that added up to 1 3/4 hours pay for every day I worked for a year (1 hour straight time plus 30 minutes time and a half.) For people who had been working there 3 years and had never gotten a meal break, the company went back 3 years with those penalties. One guy bought a new Nissan 350 Z with his penalty check.

familiar with it-worked there over 30 years. used it to my advantage when my employer offered voluntary time off (prorated pay but full benefits/leave/retirement contributions). i realized that by leaving at a specific point in the day i could cut as much as an hour off my commute time each way due to traffic so i opted for a 5 hour per day schedule so i wouldn't have to take a lunch break. i was able to drop the kids off at school during regular drop off (so no before school daycare), roll into work for 5 hours and then get back to the school ahead of the line of other cars at pick up (so no after care). ended up saving hundreds and hundreds per month on childcare PLUS ended up ahead net income due to impact on our earnings tax wise. b/c i earned f/t time accruals it went a lot longer way of meeting of covering kid's school vacation. it was a wonderful couple of years!

I’m a nurse so I’ve never worked a 9-5 job.

My first job as an RN I worked 3p-11p. That was almost 30 years ago and 8 hour shifts don’t really exist anymore in the hospital. I now work 7p-7a 3 times a week. The 12 hour shifts can be hard, but I love having 4 days off a week.

My first regular job, not counting high school jobs, had a 7:30 to 5 M-Th and 8-12 on Fridays schedule.

I had complete scheduling flexibility at my last company where I worked 13 years.

My current job as a SAHM has a fabulous schedule :D

I don't think anyone in CA works 9-5 unless they are only paid 7 to 7-1/2 hours. Here, we usually say 8-5. I worked Jack in the Box 6-1am out of high school. The CA Lottery 1:30pm-10pm back in the day when the stores had to call in a winning scratcher over $50. (good thing technology got better with the codes on the tickets). My last state job from 2004-2019, I worked an RDO schedule. T-F 7:30-5 (9 hoursx4=36x2 weeks=72) One Monday I worked 7:30-4 (8 hours) and had the other Monday off. So on a 2 week block, I worked the 80 hours with one Monday off. Loved it when a holiday fell on my Monday off so I got another personal holiday to take anytime or if it wasn't a holiday, I could work overtime on that Monday for extra $$

My first job was 8 am - 5 pm, Mon - Fri, (with an hour long lunch break). I was a technical writer in IT more than 20 years ago.

My first job was at Blockbuster and the shifts were typically 2 to10 or 5 to close, which was usually between midnight and 1 AM. There was an opening shift too that was 9 to 5, but usually only one person and one manager were on it. I eventually was able to get the weekend opening shift, consistently every weekend, so that was great!

I don't think anyone in CA works 9-5 unless they are only paid 7 to 7-1/2 hours. Here, we usually say 8-5. I worked Jack in the Box 6-1am out of high school. The CA Lottery 1:30pm-10pm back in the day when the stores had to call in a winning scratcher over $50. (good thing technology got better with the codes on the tickets). My last state job from 2004-2019, I worked an RDO schedule. T-F 7:30-5 (9 hoursx4=36x2 weeks=72) One Monday I worked 7:30-4 (8 hours) and had the other Monday off. So on a 2 week block, I worked the 80 hours with one Monday off. Loved it when a holiday fell on my Monday off so I got another personal holiday to take anytime or if it wasn't a holiday, I could work overtime on that Monday for extra $$
My wife and I retired from an industry where the two work schedules with the most staff are 3 am to 11:30 am and 3 pm to 11:30 pm. A very small number of people have work hours anywhere what most people would consider "normal" hours.
The city one of my employers was located in got a Federal grant to try and move people who worked in the city to public transit and car pooling. They put everyone's home address and and work hours into a computer and try and match them up. First problem was something like 80% had a work day that started before, or ended after public transportation was available. So that wasn't an option. Second problem was, very few employees live near another employee, and if they did, they worked opposite hours so their work hours couldn't be adjusted to promote carpooling. We had 150 employees and they found one match where employees could car pool. I thought the guy running the study's head was going to explode. He said he had never seen anything like it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter