What was in you FE's "emergen-SEA" kit?

NOLA_Tink

Jambo, y'all!
We're participating in 2 upcoming FE exchanges and I love the idea of including a super practical "emergen-SEA" kit in each family's bag. I have travel packs of detergent, dryer sheets, fabric softener, a sewing kit, and bandaids. What else have you received that was helpful? (I'm also a sucker for a good pun, so you can share any of those ideas, too! We're including cards with a "All hands on deck" label, swim goggles with a Nemo "of-fish-ially" on vacation tag, and a few other gifts.) I know there's some info on social media, but I'd like to get more direct feedback. Thanks in advance!!

We were given two little kits on our last cruise. They did not have any laundry supplies. They included band-aids, a hair band (very useful for our family), safety pins, a Lifesaver mint, small emery board and wet wipe packet. I still pack that little kit with essentials and carry it into the parks with me, five years later. :)

We were given two little kits on our last cruise. They did not have any laundry supplies. They included band-aids, a hair band (very useful for our family), safety pins, a Lifesaver mint, small emery board and wet wipe packet. I still pack that little kit with essentials and carry it into the parks with me, five years later. :)
Thank you for responding! I love the idea of adding a hairbands, an emery board, safety pins, and wipe packets! I'm so pumped that I'm making extras to "keep" in each of our luggage bags for future travels, too! I'm ALL ABOUT practical traveling!

I like the idea of the kits without the laundry supplies. We don't do laundry on cruises so we'd end up throwing that stuff away if we received it. I felt bad doing so and it's part of the reason we don't do the FE any more.

LiIttle Neosporin packets to go with the bandaids (another option which kind of amounts to the same thing and would save on the cost of the package is to use the bandaids with Neosporin in them).

I second that I wouldn't want to do laundry on the cruise (takes too much time), but I always take a few packets of travel "hand wash" and a tide stain remover stick. That way if something needs a quick stain rescue or if a single item of clothes needs to get washed (e.g., one of my kids spills a Shirley temple alllllll over himself) I can do it in 5 minutes in the sink instead of having to go through the whole ritual of waiting for a laundry machine to open up, adding my stuff, coming back later to change it to the dryer, coming back pronto to take it out of the dryer before someone else decides they need the dryer and dumps my clean stuff on the floor... just not fun at all.

Our favorite is some sort of wet wipes as others have suggested. I brought my own for our 11-night cruise but used more than I expected so was thrilled to find some in our kit!

Please no laundry soap for us (allergies / sensitivity). If you include a toothbrush, please make sure it is factory sealed. We received one that was not factory sealed and it went into the trash can. (I have trust issues and am a huge germaphobe).

Thanks for the great feedback! These are great tips & suggestions!! (And, I'm super careful about only giving non-opened items for gifts! I'm always concerned about germs/sanitation, as well. :thumbsup2)

Here's our almost-completed Emergen-SEA kit. I just need to add the wipes. Sewing kit, manicure kit with tweezers, a nail polish remover wipe, toothbrush kit, Chapstick with SPF, hairbands, Pepto, & bandaids. I also decided to keep the free & clear Tide and free & clear Bounce dryer sheet because we always have those in our luggage "just in case" and thought others might find them helpful. Thanks for the great feedback, DisCruisers! The DCL forum is the BEST!!! 😻

Last edited:
Here's our almost-completed Emergen-SEA kit. I just need to add the wipes. Sewing kit, manicure kit with tweezers, a nail polish remover wipe, toothbrush kit, Chapstick with SPF, hairbands, Pepto, & bandaids. I also decided to keep the free & clear Tide and free & clear Bounce dryer sheet because we always have those in our luggage "just in case" and thought others might find them helpful. Thanks for the great feedback, DisCruisers! The DCL forum is the BEST!!! 😻

Great idea!!! May I ask where you got the single Bounce sheets ?? We are doing a laundry bag with laundry kit (don't necessarily need to do laundry on board, can take it home and use it!!) and couldn't find the single sheets.

Great idea!!! May I ask where you got the single Bounce sheets ?? We are doing a laundry bag with laundry kit (don't necessarily need to do laundry on board, can take it home and use it!!) and couldn't find the single sheets.
I purchased a "lot" of 10 sets of free & clear samples (detergent, dryer sheet, & fabric softener) for $10 from eBay. However, I probably could have called my dermatologist & gotten some from him.

I purchased a "lot" of 10 sets of free & clear samples (detergent, dryer sheet, & fabric softener) for $10 from eBay. However, I probably could have called my dermatologist & gotten some from him.
Thank you! Good idea, I'll visit mine and see if I can go that route, never thought of Ebay either! :-) I have the free & clear detergent but was striking out on the fabric softener sheets so just bought a box of sheets and was going to put 1 of those in the each bag.

Just to provide an alternative view - at our house we try to reduce waste and packaging. I would not be super psyched about receiving a bunch of single use packaged items. And as this idea gains popularity, the risk of getting multiple sets increases.

That said, we do participate in the occasional FE group, and I am a firm believer in the “it’s the thought that counts” mentality.

I don't participate in FE but have been pixie dusted things I don't need and I just pixie dust them to someone else. Just a thought instead of throwing it out. Unless it's an unwrapped toothbrush, that could be thrown out. :-)

Great idea! I think it's especially thoughtful that you gave the free & clear samples. We always do laundry on the ship. For those that don't, I'd recommend dropping off unwanted laundry gifts in the laundry room, I'm sure someone would be happy to use them!

Great idea! I think it's especially thoughtful that you gave the free & clear samples. We always do laundry on the ship. For those that don't, I'd recommend dropping off unwanted laundry gifts in the laundry room, I'm sure someone would be happy to use them!

We've found that the Stateroom Hosts and Hostesses are really appreciate receiving leftover laundry detergent and softener. They have their own laundry facilities in the crew area.

Thank you! Good idea, I'll visit mine and see if I can go that route, never thought of Ebay either! :-) I have the free & clear detergent but was striking out on the fabric softener sheets so just bought a box of sheets and was going to put 1 of those in the each bag.
If you choose to do this, make a photocopy of the packaging (or download a photo of the packaging) to put with the sheet (in a ziplock), so the receiver knows what it is. If they have sensitivities to some products, this will help them to know whether they should use it or not.

If you choose to do this, make a photocopy of the packaging (or download a photo of the packaging) to put with the sheet (in a ziplock), so the receiver knows what it is. If they have sensitivities to some products, this will help them to know whether they should use it or not.
Good idea! I will do that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter