What to do with precooked shrimp?

scbelleatheart

DIS Veteran
I read or someone told me years ago it could be made edible by blanching it quickly and then chilling it very quickly in ice.
The short story is we bought feather party tickets for a fund raiser. They sold 120 tickets and were giving away hams, turkeys, shrimp, pork tenderloins, GC's and the big prize was a whole hog processed. We ended up with a turkey and precooked shrimp. The turkey is going to the food pantry (ours at Thanksgiving is mainly for decoration) but I hate to waste the shrimp but precooked shrimp is like rubber. You can't put enough horseradish in the sauce to make it edible.
I'll eat it if I can find some way to use it so it doesn't just sit in the freezer and go to waste but DH will not. Unless shrimp is frozen fresh, uncooked, he'll never eat seafood.
Anyone know if it was just a story about making it taste like real shrimp?:confused3

I am not a big fan of precooked shrimp for shrimp cocktail. You may want to use it for other recipes.... shrimp salad (mayo, onion, celery), add it to any kind of pasta sauce, stir fry with brocolli, scampi...heat butter, olive oil, garlic first add fresh lemon juice and put it under the broiler for a minute just to heat the shrimp or you will really over cook it!

I'm sure you can find a few things to put them in...but eating them plain may not be the best idea. Congrats on winning something!!!!!

I marinate pre cooked shrimp and it is so yummy. Here is the recipe I use

2 lbs large peeled deveined shrimp
1 med onion thinly sliced
1.5 cups oil (veg or olive)
1.5 cups white vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1.5 tsp celery seed
4 tsps capers
sliced lemon
2 bay leaves

layer shrimp, onion and lemon in bowl; in seperate bowl mix remaining ingredients for marinade; pour over shrimp
store in refrigerator 24-96 hours. Stir before serving

Thank you both! Knew I had to talk to some seafood people. Yeah, they taste like rubber so I guess use them in some other ways. We get sucked into these raffles for the community all the time but what do you do? Little kids selling tickets? How do you say no?
I was hoping someone from Maryland would respond. My DM is from there and she made us seafood snobs. OMGoodnes, crabcakes! She thinks King Crab legs are not real crab and people fight over how many they get. I have to agree though. Real crab is from Maryland!
Thank you both again!
SCBelle

If you like crab cakes...try shrimp cakes! I have bought the Phillips lump crab in a can and they have a great recipe for crab cakes...replace the crab with shrimp....I am sure if you google them the recipe will come up!

I love this recipe for Thai Red Curry Shrimp.
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1988565

It calls for raw shrimp, but with the heat of the dish (and I use about 1/2 the curry paste called for), you can get away with frozen precooked. Just defrost the shrimp and skip cooking them at the beginning -- just throw them in at the end to warm them. In addition to cutting back on the curry paste, I also add fresh baby corn and snap peas so that it's not just a shrimp curry.

Phillips is my favorite place to eat when I go to the Inner in Balti. DM grew up on Decker across from Patterson Park but back then they caught their own crabs and steamed them in Old Bay. I have never tried shrimp cakes though. The recipes you have all given sound wonderful.
I guess I have a mission. To use these shrimp and make something wonderful!:cool1:

I keep a bag of frozen shrimp in the freezer, for when we need a quick dinner. The following recipe is very quick to make - under 30 minutes.
It's from Cooking Light magazine.

Shrimp Étouffée

This spicy Cajun classic is traditionally served over white rice.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: about 1 1/4 cups étouffée and 2/3 cup rice)

4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 bay leaf
1/3 cup butter, divided
1/2 cup all-purpose flour (about 2 1/4 ounces)
Cooking spray
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
2/3 cup diced celery
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 tablespoon salt-free Cajun seasoning
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, divided
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 30 shrimp)
4 cups hot cooked long-grain rice

1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat; bring to a simmer. Cover and remove from heat.

2. Melt 1/4 cup butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Add flour to pan; cook 8 minutes or until very brown, stirring constantly with a whisk. Remove from heat. Add 1 cup broth mixture to pan; stir with a whisk until smooth. Add remaining 3 cups broth mixture, stirring with a whisk until smooth; set aside.

3. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon butter in a large Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add 1 1/2 cups onion, celery, and bell peppers to pan; cook 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender and onion is golden brown, stirring occasionally. Stir in 3/4 cup water, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add tomato paste, Cajun seasoning, garlic, salt, black pepper, and red pepper to onion mixture; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add reserved broth-flour mixture and Worcestershire sauce to pan, stirring well to combine; bring to a simmer. Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add green onions, 1/4 cup parsley, and shrimp; cook 3 minutes or until shrimp are done. Discard bay leaf. Serve over rice. Sprinkle each serving with 2 teaspoons remaining parsley, if desired.

Wine note: A traditional Shrimp Étouffée is fabulous with something cold and bold that can refreshingly stand up to the spices. A great choice is a dry rosé from Spain; these wines are a fabulous foil for Cajun dishes. I love El Coto Rosado from Rioja. The 2006 is $13. Karen MacNeil

CALORIES 395 (28% from fat); FAT 12.2g (sat 6.9g,mono 3g,poly 1.1g); IRON 4.9mg; CHOLESTEROL 142mg; CALCIUM 102mg; CARBOHYDRATE 47.9g; SODIUM 655mg; PROTEIN 22.6g; FIBER 3.6g

Cooking Light, JULY 2008

I like mine in as a mexican shrimp cocktail kinda salad.

peel cucumber and cut slices then cut the slices into 4 pieces
chop up a tomato
throw cucumber, tomatos and shrimp into a large bowl
squeeze lemon
salt to taste
mix it all up
hot sauce optional

you can also add sliced up bite size avocado, cilantro

some will add tomato sauce like V-8 or clamato but i like just lemon juice or lime juice

eat with a fork or tortilla chips or saltine crackers

You people are amazing! Guess I won't pitch the bag of shrimp because you gave me so many ideas on how to use it. I was clueless. Not a big seafood cooker (it's too hard to get it perfect) but yet I love to eat it.
Guess today is shrimp fixing day but I am well armed with recipes.

I make a lemon butter pan sauce, throw in fresh garlic, a little cream, and some crushed red pepper. In the last few minutes I throw in the precooked shrimp then serve it all over noodles. YUM!

So what did you make and how did it turn out???

I love shrimp cocktail so I'd have nom nom nomed my way through the bag as is no issue LOL!

This is a great recipe that we add shrimp to.

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/pasta-primavera-alfredo-54199.aspx

Thaw out about 6-8 oz of frozen, precooked, tails off and deveined shrimp, (just run it under cold water for a few minutes.

When you "get the whole dish in the pan" then add the shrimp for about 2 minutes - you just want to heat it up, not "cook" the shrimp.

This is SO easy to make!

This is a great recipe that we add shrimp to.

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/pasta-primavera-alfredo-54199.aspx

Thaw out about 6-8 oz of frozen, precooked, tails off and deveined shrimp, (just run it under cold water for a few minutes.

When you "get the whole dish in the pan" then add the shrimp for about 2 minutes - you just want to heat it up, not "cook" the shrimp.

This is SO easy to make!

I make something similar to this except I use the veggie cream cheese in the little tub. I make a white sauce...melt about 2 T. of butter, add some flour (maybe 2-3 T.) stir until smooth. Add 2 c. or so of milk and cook until thick. Add the cream cheese and stir until melted. Add 1/2 c. frozen peas that have been thawed, 1/2 c. grated parmesan cheese (the kind in the can) and the shrimp. Serve over pasta. Seriously, we eat this about twice a month because it is so easy and really does taste delicious.

I had the same dilemma not too long ago! I made shrimp newburg which is a great comfort food! And much easier than I thought. It sounds kind of frou frou hard, but it wasn't. All of it was gone! The kids loved it, which was a pleasant surprise. :)

Shrimp Newburg

Ingredients

* 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of shrimp or mushroom soup, undiluted
* 1/4 cup water
* 1 teaspoon seafood seasoning
* 1 package (1 pound) frozen cooked medium salad shrimp, thawed
* Hot cooked rice

Directions

* In a saucepan, combine soup, water and seafood seasonings. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; stir in shrimp. Heat through. Serve over rice. Yield: 4 servings.

I also made a shrimp scampi. I used a bottled scampi/garlic sauce. I just heated the shrimp in a pan with the scampi sauce and then tossed it all with some cooked and drained linguine (I cooked broccoli with the linguine at the same time). I don't know why it sounded hard to make to me. But it wasn't hard at all.

Both dishes were really tasty! I used the frozen shrimp.

I like to use the pre-cooked for Shrimp Salad, Soup, and Shrimp Parm. With Pasta chopped and a little oil, peppers makes a good Pasta salsd.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter