What to do? Re grandma and daughter's clothes

This thread reminds me of similar issues I had with my ex MIL when DD was a baby and toddler. My ex MIL and I have very VERY different tastes in clothes. I like simple, plain clothes in solid colors while she liked animal print, sequins, prints, designs, ruffles, you name it. She would buy all these clothes for DD10 that I considered just butt ugly and demand that I put her in specific outfits she had purchased whenever DD would go to their house. I used to hate that so much.

I am friendly with two women who are raising their GDDs who are friends with DD10 and we often chat at school pick up while the kids play on the playground. The one girl has her father and stepmother in her life but she spends about half her time with her grandmother. It is really interesting to hear the grandmother complain about how her DIL doesn't like her at all and she doesn't understand why. I was talking with the grandmother of the other woman yesterday and I said you know, the entire situation is sad but I'm guessing there is a whole lot more to that situation than she is saying. The first woman has multiple grandkids but has clearly chosen her favorite one and that girl has her own room at grandmas house, spends 3 or 4 nights a week there, she pays for ballet lessons and takes her and her friends on weekend trips and buys her all kinds of clothes and everything. She was complaining last week about how she had bought DD10's friend an adorable Christmas dress a few years ago and she wanted to get a picture of her younger granddaughter wearing that specific Christmas dress and had called her DIL to come down and get it for this girl so she could get a picture and the DIL refused to come get it. She just doesn't understand why her DIL is so hateful. I told the other grandmother yesterday that I have never met the DIL before and I am 100% sure there is more to the story and I am not willing to throw DIL under the bus for that. The grandmother has clearly chosen her favorite grandchild and is extremely blatant about it and I'm sure the DIL is hurt that her stepdaughter gets all the attention while none of her kids get even a fraction of the attention that the SD gets and yeah, if I were her, I wouldn't be jumping at the chance to give grandma a picture of my DD wearing a particular dress that she had originally purchased for her favored golden child granddaughter to wear either.

What is it with DGMs trying to force their DGDs to wear clothes they don't want to wear?

I really hope when the time comes I can be a good MIL and have a good relationship with my SIL without being overbearing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter