• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What to do on last day?

sarahk0204

DIS Veteran
We just got our flights for June today, and we are taking a red eye that leaves Honolulu at 8:45 PM on a Saturday. Since check out time is 11:00 AM, and traffic will be less of an issue on the weekend, what are some suggestions for a few hours in the afternoon before we turn in the rental car and wait in the security lines? Shopping? Swap meet? Something else touristy where we won't get wet or sweaty? :lmao:Thanks!

We hung out at Aulani all day and used the lounge to change and dry our suits. Stopped for a quick dinner and headed to airport. I think the swap meet closes around 3 in the afternoon.

We hung out at Aulani all day and used the lounge to change and dry our suits. Stopped for a quick dinner and headed to airport. I think the swap meet closes around 3 in the afternoon.

I had heard the lounge gets super crowded. Was that your experience?

I've also heard the lounge can be crowded with a wait, especially on weekends when people tend to start and end their vacations. Its also one time use, so you wouldn't be able to go back and forth from what I understand. You could also do a spa treatment on your last day, which would give you full access to their showers and facilities until you leave. We could have spent several hours lounging there! We thought the spa was worth every penny, and might be a nice option to head out relaxed from it before dealing with travel stress

We inquired about late check-out and they were not able to offer us a complimentary one, but they did offer us a late check-out of 3pm for $150. I don't know if this option is always available, but it might be worth inquiring about in your case because you'd need to leave for the airport not long after that anyhow. You'd have time for a late lunch/early dinner somewhere as well.

We didn't care much for the Swap Meet and it can also be very hot and sunny there. There's a new mall in Kapolei that wasn't open when we were there, and there's also Ala Moana Center near Waikiki which we loved. There's also the outlets in Kapolei and you could even grab some malasadas from the Leonard's truck there!

On our last day we had to leave for the airport earlier than you would, but we slept in a little and then packed everything up rather than doing it the night before. We then did the character breakfast which is a little more time consuming since it's so busy. We had about an hour to kill so we used the tablets and played the little Menehune game around the resort which was cute.

I had heard the lounge gets super crowded. Was that your experience?
Both years we have been to Aulani, we were the only people in there. Our first year I think we went in around 2:00 and last year maybe 5:00. Both times have been in mid June.

I would just stay at the resort. Maybe I'm over cautious but i wouldn't want to keep my luggage in the rental car while you were out touring somewhere in case it got stolen. My experiences at the lounge have been fine, and I didn't find it crowded. If you were planning on going to the spa at all then I agree with the pp who said to go to the spa on the last day. Take advantage of the amenities there, and end your trip perfectly relaxed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter