• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What to do in Key West Florida?

I LOVED Key West. So much that I can't wait to go back for more than 8 hours. We did the bike tour around all the famous landmarks and it was great. I wish DCL could stop there instead of Nassau all the time!

We got on the trolley tour website and printed off their maps before leaving. Instead of actually taking the trolley though we just walked using their maps as a guide for points of interest. It was only a little over a mile to the southern most point from port. Plus the streets/shops are so fun to explore. Love key west. My MIL and my mom got a little tired so they took a pedicab back to the ship (they are all over). All together we probably walked 2 to 3 miles exploring but it was at a slow pace with lots of stops yo explore/ eat. Great port!

It’s been a few years since anyone has posted to this thread. What has changed in the recommendations? What are the current “must dos”?

I like that no one is pushing gift shops. I liked walking around and tasting key lime pie samples. We walked til we ended up at a museum of the President vacation home. Price was $25 and we were not going to go but the lady could tell we were wanting to so she gave us 2 for free. So.eo e paid but never showed. Was pretty cool. This time we are renting a golf cart.

It’s been a few years since anyone has posted to this thread. What has changed in the recommendations? What are the current “must dos”?
I posted a good bit before and I’ve been back to Key West a couple times since. We still like renting the electric cart. I still like taking time to shop at Lilly Pulitzer. I still don’t go to Key West without getting a Key Lime Pie on-a-stick. I would love to do the float plane charter again. And I’d still like to get on a jet ski tour. We’ve driven the Keys from Miami now, too, which was amaaaaazing.

Visit Robert. LINK. Make sure you ask his permission before taking a picture. I'm preety sure he was evicted from the Haunted mansion, that's why they have room for 1000.

We’ve driven the Keys from Miami now, too, which was amaaaaazing.

Take the card sound road route vs. US 1 and stop at Alabama jacks in Key Largo. Killer conch fritters and usually some great live music.

I used to go to KW every year for Fantasy Fest and once in a while throughout the year. About a 3.5 hour drive from where I'm sitting right now.

KW is great if you drink, fish, or like history. Good handmade cigars too. The beaches are kind of meh though.

Duval street is like Bourbon street with less urine smell and slightly less vomit. Befriend a local and have them show you the local hangouts.

I can share some very inappropriate stories about KW in October, but I'll save that for another forum.

Visit Robert. LINK. Make sure you ask his permission before taking a picture. I'm preety sure he was evicted from the Haunted mansion, that's why they have room for 1000.

Thank You Robert.....

sweetpee_1993, would you do the golf cart or the sight seeing train?

The hop-on hop-off train would be advantageous if you didn’t want to look for parking. The cart gets you around but if going in somewhere you gotta park it. Parking will cost money. We rode around, scouted a few places, returned the cart, & walked where we’d wanted to go.

Hi!!! :wave:

Yep, Key West is for those of us who don't quite fit into normal life! I think that's what makes it such a great port call...it really is like no other place in the States. And maybe even a bit unexpected to some. I miss visiting on a regular basis, which was a treat while living in Miami. So glad you were able to take advantage of the Galveston sailings before DCL drops them (such a shame).

Colorful...that is another thing that makes Key West a great place to visit. You can just stroll around (or like you guys did...rent an electric car) and see the quaintness of the island. Like we have been saying, so much to do there!

Key Lime Pie on a stick at Kermit’s and the trolley tour is a favorite. We love the Lighthouse and the Shipwreck Museum. Even just walking around and enjoying the people and place is an awesome experience.

We’re going to have 11 and 13 year old daughters with us - trolly tour or bike tour?
Same for us! My 11 y/o has already expressed that she doesn't want to bike around Key West, we've tried to explain to her it's not a rigorous adventure :rotfl2:

Same for us! My 11 y/o has already expressed that she doesn't want to bike around Key West, we've tried to explain to her it's not a rigorous adventure :rotfl2:

I’m trying to weigh complaints about biking in the heat with “too much boring history” on a trolley tour. Sigh.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter