What to do if your flight is cancelled - Weather, mechanical, etc

well the ice part is over of the storm for us here, airport canceled all flights today, hope tomorrow will be the first one out, temps are to raise overnight up to the low 40's and wind they say will be about 15 miles so hope that is all good signs. I sure hope the next post from me is with the mouse at my side

ARGH I didn't want to see a post from YOU today! ;) Stay warm and hopefully things will look up for you. Keep checking online as things do change - usually the airline website will have updates, as well as the airport update.

Just this past October our flight from Orlando to Chicago was delayed 8 hours. And I witnessed something that I thought was very neat.

As you can imagine, a flight from Orlando tends to have lots of kids. Imagine the chaos a group of kids can cause when they are sitting at the gate for 8 hours, with little to entertain them. Well, in the midst of all of this chaos, a group of adults have a great idea. The gathered all of the kids together, and had them play games. Duck, duck, goose. Tag. Seven up. All in the middle between 2 seating areas, waiting for our United flight to be cleared to leave. I think some of the parents wanted to kiss the adults that took charge and kept the kids entertained for a good portion of those 8 hours.

So my tip would be, just be kind and thoughtful to each other.

BTW May I suggest that Bavaria's tips be made a sticky?

Oh the weather outside is frightful....

So the great storm watch is on in the midwest and last night our red eye flight out of SAN was canceled because the inbound aircraft missed its approach twice before diverting to LAX. Yes, indeed... sometimes it DOES rain in southern California! Passengers could either rebook on another flight in the am or go out on the original flight some time around 10 am. We opted for the 6:20 am flight and went home to sleep for 4 hours. We arrived in ORD this morning just as snow began to fall. And the rescheduled flight was... you guessed... canceled again!

On a 'thank god I wasn't on THAT flight' note...

A plane full of cheerleaders and football players and parents headed to Orlando on the Air Tran red eye were camped out all over the concourse in SAN awaiting their much delayed and possibly canceled flight... aye aye aye... good luck sleeping on that flight!! :rotfl:

Just this past October our flight from Orlando to Chicago was delayed 8 hours. And I witnessed something that I thought was very neat.

As you can imagine, a flight from Orlando tends to have lots of kids. Imagine the chaos a group of kids can cause when they are sitting at the gate for 8 hours, with little to entertain them. Well, in the midst of all of this chaos, a group of adults have a great idea. The gathered all of the kids together, and had them play games. Duck, duck, goose. Tag. Seven up. All in the middle between 2 seating areas, waiting for our United flight to be cleared to leave. I think some of the parents wanted to kiss the adults that took charge and kept the kids entertained for a good portion of those 8 hours.

I can see it now. There is a large delay and someone yells, "Hey, dudspizza is an elementary school GYM teacher!" He can entertain the kids.... :banana: I can see it now... it would be just like my daughters 5th birthday party all over again... here I am trying to stay low key and all of the sudden I go into teacher mode all loud and animated...... kids running around, doing what I am saying, laughing and playing..... that would be a site in a crowded airport!

BTW May I suggest that Bavaria's tips be made a sticky?
This is exactly why this is the only thread that I have ever bookmarked!

Have a great day! I nearly purchased a ticket out of MSP for yesterday morning to go see my dad who has cancer. He is in Phoenix. I decided not to and it looks like I would have had trouble getting out or getting home in a couple of days....

I hope all who are traveling this weekend get to their destination safely... now... I need to sleep so I can go out and shovel AGAIN!

Duds

Bumping as I sit in an airport trying to get home for 2 days of Christmas!

Amazing to see the differences in how people handle this. I am on my laptop, sharing a power outlet with a stranger. I've called United to check all my options for tonight (not many), am prepared to overnight in two different cities, have checked hotel availability for those cities, and am waitlisted for two different flights.

There is a looooooooong line of passengers waiting to speak to an agent - perhaps they don't have cel phones to call, or don't know better.

But those of us who are prepared will most likely end up in a better situation tonight that those who leave their fate to an airline gate agent.

Best of luck and happy travels to those travelling this week - I'll be back on the road Wednesday, and hope for more success that day than today.

bummer for you, you have been so much help to so many people I printed all you suggestions on dealing with flight problem that can pop up. On our local news it showed a lady who's flight had been cancelled several times had went and rented a van and was asking people needing to get to next airport or if they wanted to chip in some cash and where headed in her direction she had a ride for them, showed a pretty good line of people on cell phones and telling if they could get here or there they could get picked up. I think she was going to have a long trip ahead of her.
Good luck to you getting to your plans.

wow....I have cut and pasted many ideas,thanks Bavaria! I do stress over travel,and don't like getting 'stuck'-you've decided it,i was considering a hotel near our NE airport in a couple of weeks,just in case we needed it,with a good cancellation policy,now I'm going to do it!

Here is another vote to make this STICKY mods! :thumbsup2

I have been a frequent flier for 20 years and use the same tricks to keep sane while traveling. Thanks baveria!

Good points, especially at this time of year. Arming yourself with patience and resources... the very best advice you can give. Always travel with phone numbers, your cell phone, your cell phone charger, and a calling card as a back up.

A number of years ago I became quite good friends with a gentleman at the Grand Hyatt at DFW. No matter where we happened to be in nearly any kind of weather, we could usually make it to DFW... where we always wound up with a room!

I hope you make it out! Merry Merry! :goodvibes

Bumping as I sit in an airport trying to get home for 2 days of Christmas!

Amazing to see the differences in how people handle this. I am on my laptop, sharing a power outlet with a stranger. I've called United to check all my options for tonight (not many), am prepared to overnight in two different cities, have checked hotel availability for those cities, and am waitlisted for two different flights.

There is a looooooooong line of passengers waiting to speak to an agent - perhaps they don't have cel phones to call, or don't know better.

But those of us who are prepared will most likely end up in a better situation tonight that those who leave their fate to an airline gate agent.

Best of luck and happy travels to those travelling this week - I'll be back on the road Wednesday, and hope for more success that day than today.

The only other suggestion that I would like to add to the great ones already on this list is to consider purchasing a one-day pass to your airlines' club when your flight is delayed.

For about $50 for one adult and about $75 for 2, you can access the club for the rest of the day. Not only are the suroundings quieter, with plenty of places to plug in your cellphone or laptop, but the agents working in the club are usually very good at finding options for other flights. Twice now, we have used this strategy when we had a long layover at a connecting airport due to a delayed flight with great success.

I would guess, however, that it works less well when the delay is due to weather problems at the airport at which you are waiting. When 1000's are stranded at the airport, it would not surprise me if they stop selling one day pasess to that club.

Happy travelling. -- Suzanne

Suzanne, I made it as far as the Red Carpet Club in Chicago now! hopefully my flight will leave tonight, if no, no big deal.

I've seen a lot of people flipping out tonight, but I followed my own advice. I called United after my first flight landed, stayed pleasant with the reservations who went out of her way to help me and thanked me for not yelling at her (!), stood in the Red Carpet Club line for a boarding pass. The line was very long, and I was listening to the people ahead and behind me stressing. So I pulled out my cel phone, made a quick call, and helped the people behind me to alter their travel plans. They were quite impressed as they really didn't know what to do.

So now I have a very large box of chocolate in my carryon - they came back to the club to find me and give me a thank you gift :santa:

Staying calm really does work - I've definitely mellowed over the years, and it has helped me to get through these sitatuations

Hopefully tomorrow I will be posting from HOME!

Suzanne, I made it as far as the Red Carpet Club in Chicago now! hopefully my flight will leave tonight, if no, no big deal.

I've seen a lot of people flipping out tonight, but I followed my own advice. I called United after my first flight landed, stayed pleasant with the reservations who went out of her way to help me and thanked me for not yelling at her (!), stood in the Red Carpet Club line for a boarding pass. The line was very long, and I was listening to the people ahead and behind me stressing. So I pulled out my cel phone, made a quick call, and helped the people behind me to alter their travel plans. They were quite impressed as they really didn't know what to do.

So now I have a very large box of chocolate in my carryon - they came back to the club to find me and give me a thank you gift :santa:

Staying calm really does work - I've definitely mellowed over the years, and it has helped me to get through these sitatuations

Hopefully tomorrow I will be posting from HOME!

So, I am sitting here in my comfy desk chair hoping Bavaria is safe and possibly home! If not, I hope she gets home soon.

I tell you what, this storm has been a biggie. We had to drive home from northern Minnesota this am and a 2 hour 45 minute drive took us over 4 hours, BUT, we got home safe.

Travel safe, everyone!

Duds

bavaria- Hoping you are making it home today safe and sound!

The weather here is still pretty bad. The wind has died down somewhat for now, but the snow is blowing. So any of our Canadian friends heading to Buffalo today for flights, please take extra time and take it easy. Be safe everyone! :goodvibes

Can we all stop worrying about Bavaria for a minute and concentrate on hoping that my kids' Wii arrives today via express mail? ;)

Priorities, people!! :lmao:

Can we all stop worrying about Bavaria for a minute and concentrate on hoping that my kids' Wii arrives today via express mail? ;)

Actually, I passed Santa around 3am up in the air this morning.

He said that if ExPirateShopGirl had been a good girl this year, the Wii would arrive safely and on time.

So.... I THINK that means that it will arrive safely and on time? ;) Maybe not? I hope it does!

I'm home - arrived around 4am dirty and smelly but home for about 48 hours before I do it all again - hopefully with better results.

Have a wonderful holiday, everyone!

Yay! You made it!!! Patience pays off!!

DF had a 6 hour delay out of JFK on Saturday. He industriously spent those hours converting itunes songs into ringtone snippets for my phone/pda and texting them to me. It was cute for about an hour. :rotfl:

Enjoy your 48 hours!!!!! :cutie:

Actually, I passed Santa around 3am up in the air this morning.

He said that if ExPirateShopGirl had been a good girl this year, the Wii would arrive safely and on time.

So.... I THINK that means that it will arrive safely and on time? ;) Maybe not? I hope it does!

I'm home - arrived around 4am dirty and smelly but home for about 48 hours before I do it all again - hopefully with better results.

Have a wonderful holiday, everyone!

bavaria said:
Oh, those danged, old-fashioned airports that don't even provide pay telephones for passengers' use... :teeth:

I didn't get stranded, but I did get delayed in both directions due to weather at the incoming flights' airports. Gotta tell ya - the next time a Gate Agent tells me, "Oh, you don't want to go on this(!) flight", I'm going to press the issue. I could have flown LAS-JFK at 9:15, then connected to Boston, and still gotten home faster than sticking with my scheduled flight... which finally arrived at 12:45 and took off at TWO A.M.!!!!!!!!! Heck, I could have taken the train from New York, then two subway changes, another train, and a cab - and still gotten home faster :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter