What percentage of U.S. kids have been to Disney?

And I can't speak for the OP, but the fact that she started a thread to ask for an actual statistic to tell her son made me think she didn't approve of his attitude and was trying to get him to understand that the entire U.S. was not like his little part of the world.

And ilsao, no, you don't need an actual percentage to teach gratitude and humility but her son was the one who brought it up and I can understand wanting to reinforce the ACTUAL percentage as opposed to what he thinks it is based on the people he knows. Makes it a little more real, KWIM?

I wasn't trying to pick a fight with the two of you but just wanted to point out that we're talking about a child. And this is a great opportuntity for the OP to teach him that not everyone has the things in life that he's lucky enough to have.

Thanks to everyone for all the responses! No, I didn't think it was appropriate, but I did find it somewhat interesting that he would just assume that "everyone" has been there. I thought the shocked face in my original post (that I was amazed that he would think that) would convey that I didn't agree with his assessment.

And obviously this board isn't the best "norm" for figuring this out. Most of us here are probably at least somewhere in middle class (since we have a computer and internet) and probably have been to Disney based on the fact that we hang out on this board! But just from living in the Detroit area for over a decade, I know there are as many kids in the "inner city" area as in the suburbs. I have to assume that most of them haven't been to Disney. Also, many of the kids even in the suburbs haven't been to Disney (since their parents for whatever reason - even if they could afford it - opt not to vacation there). So in my head I was thinking it was maybe 25 percent of kids (half who can't afford it in general and half of those who can afford it who just don't go). Wondered what others thought!

And my son wasn't making fun of my friend (who he's known forever) personally. Just amazed that people don't know all about Disney. Kind of the way everyone on TGM makes fun of "THEM" - the people who aren't obsessive planners and don't know every detail of WDW!

And if you want callous/insensitive remarks, I don't think this one was anywhere near my other son's when he was also 14. He's a good athlete, runner, etc. One day we parked a bit away from the store and as we walked in by several vacant handicapped places, he commented "wouldn't it be great if we were handicapped and we could park there?" :scared1:

I just waited a second and when he didn't realize how stupid what he'd said was, I repeated just the first part of his sentence back to him..."Wouldn't it be great if we were handicapped?" He of course rolled his eyes and said "You know what I mean". And yes, I went off on him explaining that I bet a whole lot of people would think it was a whole lot greater to be able to run 2 miles or even be able to just walk the distance we'd walked and would GLADLY give up that parking spot. Let me tell you, after this lecture, he'd certainly never think this way again (or at least be stupid enough to say anything like that out loud!).

But I do think to some extent teens do have the tendency to shoot their mouths off before thinking. That's where we come in - to try to make them think about what they said. That was my goal here. :thumbsup2 Personally I don't think it's that bad to make fun of someone (without them hearing) for not knowing that a fastpass is free - especially if that person has, in the meantime, done their research and now knows as much as they can. I DO have a much bigger problem with him thinking that everyone in the US has the same privileges that he does, and I certainly made that clear to him.

My post was as much curiosity on my part since I don't believe that all kids go to Disney than trying to get an actual statistic to "prove" my point to him. My point to him was already made - "Consider yourself lucky that you get to do the things you do!"

At first I was shocked by the 14yo's remarks but then after reading OP's response I rethought that. A 14yo shoots off mouth THEN engages brain. All is forgiven OP.

I would think the number is maybe 15%. That is probably high.

Also as far as the fast pass deal.... at Univ. Studio's don't you pay for them? I have never been there so I don't know. Maybe they thought if you paid at US you pay at WDW too.? If you think about it you PAY for every thing else at WDW $$$$$. lol

i was thinking maybe 8 % has been to disney.

just because you have a computer and internet , doesn't mean you are middle class.

in my area, kids use the school and library computers for fun activities.
also, our high school has a program where the laptop is used for all classes.
for those that are low income, the school sells discounted laptops on a payment plan.

close to 80% of our school kids in my area are on free lunch program.
they still have the name brand clothes and shoes, cell phones, ipods, etc..

some of them have more than my kids and they aren't middle income bracket families.

I didn't go until I was in my 40s and living in Georgia and it was hardly because of money problems. I grew up thinking it was corny and never cared to go.

It may surprise lots of people on this board but some people don't like Disney anything. In my family only my niece, one cousin, and I have been to Disney, mostly because of our kids. I've gone 6 times since my first trip and don't plan to return until I have grandchildren.
:eek: ;)

I would guess a very small percentage. My first year of teaching was quite the eye-opener. I had mostly seniors and was amazed how many had never been out of the county unless it was for a field trip or on a bus for sports!!! :sad1: It's easy to forget how lucky we are ....

We are in NH if that makes any difference but most of my kids' friends have not been to WDW. My DD has 4 friends that have gone (2 of them went with us), my DS has no friends that have gone, and my other DS has 2 friends that have gone (1 with us). I would say the majority of the kids here have not gone but we are pretty far away and WDW is pretty expensive from the northeast and a lot of people probably can't afford it. I would imagine the number is pretty low.

OP ~ I have 2 boys (14 and 15 and a daughter who is 11) and they are all known to say stupid things from time to time so I am definitely not one to judge you or your son! Interesting question though I have no idea how we would actually come up with an accurate answer. :confused3

14 year olds tend to think the whole world is like their neighborhood. If most of the kids THEY know have gone, they figure that most of the kids all over the country have gone.

I think the percentage is probably pretty low. Disney trips are expensive. Not everyone can afford a Disney trip and even if they can, some just don't want to go.

It's 100% in my house, though. :teeth:

Well, DH went for the first time last year at age 35. His parents and sister have never been. Solid middle class family. My cousins went once in the 1980s and have not been back since. Again, solid middle class family. One cousin is planning to take his daughter for her first trip next year, but so much is new to him and he is kind of a dullard so my mom is trying to help him out by explaining all of the "new" things since 1985, including Fastpass, of course. Who knows if he will get it?
I had a lot of friends in Virginia Beach when I was in HS who had only gone once or had never been (most had never been). I think they thought it was either pretty tacky, or that it wouldn't have been much different from Busch Gardens Williamsburg (which is a pretty good amusement park, actually) or King's Dominion.
70% (the figure from that website above) seems to me to be a crazy-high number. I'd venture to guess the actual figure is between 10 and 20%. Probably higher than the figure would have been in the 1980's b/c a Disney vacation is touted as affordable now, and it used to be more thought of as a privilege for wealthy kids or a real challenge to do on the cheap (before the Net, you had to call individual hotels, usually getting the list from a AAA guidebook, and I am not sure they had "packages" like the ones they have now).

I'd say less than 10%. And yes, many don't go because they have no interest, but I bet many, many more don't go because they can afford it.

I know I wanted to go as a kid, and my mom wated to take me, but we didn't make it until I was well into my adulthood.

Most little kids dream about it, and I think most parents would love to take them to experience the "magic". But a Disney vacation is expensive, and many people never spend thousands of $$$ on a vacation.

Let's remember that WDW is known around the world, so the percentage of children who want to go but can't grows even smaller when you take thiis into account.

The OP's child is very lucky to have been there so many times, and I agree with those who feel that he sould show some humility about it, and not brag and make fun of those who aren't as lucky.

ETA: I just read the other post by the OP. She obviously is teaching her kids to be more sensitive, and I agree 14 yr olds are immature. I'm glad she's teaching her kids that not everyone is as lucky as they are.

While I think that 14 years old is WAY too old to still be making fun of people who have less than you do (and I teach high school, so I'm not unfamiliar with the age group), let's help the OP answer the question:

Let's start with the number of US kids living in poverty, we can assume that most of them have not gotten to Disney:

"SOURCE: U.S. Census Bureau, Current Population Survey, 1981 to 2006 Annual Social and Economic Supplements.

In 2005, 18 percent of all children ages 0–17 lived in poverty, unchanged from 2004. The poverty rate was higher for Black children and for Hispanic children than for White, non-Hispanic children. In 2005, 10 percent of White, non-Hispanic children lived in poverty, compared with 35 percent of Black children and 28 percent of Hispanic children. "

Now take a look at just where that poverty level is-- how little you have to be earning in the US to qualify as being in poverty-- and figure from there how many people NOT 'living in poverty" can't afford extras like new backpacks for school, much less a trip to Disney World.

Take a look at the unemployment numbers, particularly in the inner cities and among minorities.

I think the estimates I've been reading here are WAAAAYYYY too high.

Thank you! Sometime this board surprises me. I should know better by now,
but I'm just shaking my head at those who think that most people have been there, and those who haven't don't go because of a lack of interest or because they rather travel abroad. There are millions of people who never spend thousands (even hundreds) of Dollars on a vacation, even thought they'd love to. They don't because they can't afford it!

My 3 kids haven't.

My sister's 3 are there now for the first time.

My niece's 2 kids haven't.

Her brother's son hasn't.

Her cousin's daughter hasn't.

How sad that someone's idea of a good time is making fun of us all.

For the record, my husband and I are both teachers with Master's Degrees. My sister has her MBA, her husband has his BA.

And I have been to London, Paris, Bermuda, LA, Chicago, Detriot, New Orleans, DC, parts of the Carribean, Canada, and a number of destinations around the northeast... then the kids came along. My kids' travels have been more limited: aside from my son's trip to the US from Korea as an infant, most of their traveling has been within a 5 or 6 hour drive from Long Island.

I agree with you, most of the people I know have never been. Not because they are poor or uncultured or hate to travel but because they just aren't interested in going there. Yes their kids might bug them to go someday and they might actually end up going. But most families don't just hop on a plane and go to Disney like it is mecca or something, they have other places they vacation. We are in an upper middle class area/neighborhood so most of the people we know have the financial means to go, but I am thinking most of America does not??:confused: Especially in this economy. We are very blessed to be able to afford a trip this year, yes we work hard but some people work twice as hard and make less money, it's really sad and I want my kids to be sensitive to that. I think it was VERY rude for the son to mock them, if that was my kid (and yes my kids say rude things like that sometimes, not thinking) I would have had a LONG discussion about being snobby and nasty. I wouldn't even bother to use the statistics. I don't care if 1 person in the world has been there and it's him, or if every other person on the planet lives in the castle, it's wrong regardless!

According to this website http://unsolvedmysteries.com/usm181363.html 70% of Americans (including, presumably, adults and children) have been to Disneyland or Disney World. No idea where they got that number.

I seriously doubt that number. I know tons of people who have never been to either park. Far, far more than those I know that have been.

It may seem like so many do because of those on the internet and those in certain areas tend to go. But that's because their families have more money and are able.

But there are tons of kids from lower income families that have never been and will probably only be able to dream about going for their entire lives.

My experience is quite different. Most all of my immediate family and friends, many of my immediate coworkers and a fair percentage of my customers have been to WDW. Many more than once.

This is our experience as well.

Heck, I know people who have difficulty buying groceries at the end of the month but have been to WDW several times.

I would say that less than 25% of my children's friends have been. They just vacation differently. I can't understand it, but to each his own.

A lot of the people living in Orlando have never been to the Disney theme parks. Many can't afford it. Many are just not interested.

When I was teaching school, I was shocked to find that about 75 percent of my students had never set foot in a Disney theme park. They just weren't interested. These were kids attending a private school and certainly had the money if they wanted to visit. Now, only about 25 percent of them had not been to Universal theme parks. These were teens and they find Universal parks more interesting than Disney.

Just a side note. I made my first trip to WDW when I was 35 years old. When I was growing up, my family did not go on vacations. Other than to visit my grandparents about 100 miles away, we only made two family trips. We went to Chicago once and New Orleans once. Both trips were because my dad had business there and he just took us along.

Not all families take vacations.

Growing up in Florida, I can only recall a few kids who had never been to Disney.

The math teacher in me demands more numbers, not anectdotal evidence, especially on a site devoted to people who are going to Disney.

Let's talk about the number of US kids qualifying for free lunches. You don't have to agree with the program, but I think most of us (with the exception of the author of one thread about 2 months ago) will probably agree that a family who can't afford lunch for its children probably can't afford a Disney vacation.

These statistics came from the Carsey Institute (in association with the University of New Hampshire) on the poverty levels in rural America:
Table 2. Participation in the National School Lunch Program in Rural and Urban America, 2006
TOTAL RURAL URBAN
Children 5 to 18 years (in millions) 57.5 -- 8.9 -- 48.3
Received school lunch (in millions) 40.3 -- 7.0 -- 33.0
Percent receiving school lunch 70.0 -- 78.7 --- 68.4
Received free or reduced price
school lunch (in millions) 14.9** -- 2.8 --- 12.0
Percent receiving free or reduced
price school lunch 25.9 -- 31.4 --- 24.9
Source: 2006 March CPS

edited to add: sorry, I can't get the table to line up. I'm putting dashes between the numbers to make them easier to read. The boldface is mine.

Re-read the one I starred. almost 15 MILLION kids --25.9% of the kids attending school--qualified for a free or reduced price lunch. That's an awful lot of kids who have never seen a fastpass.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter