What percentage of U.S. kids have been to Disney?

marciemi

DIS Veteran
Anyone know?

Just curious because when we were out at lunch, DS14 was making fun of friends of mine who were at Disney right now (for their very first, and probably only - due to financial constraints - trip) for how little they knew about the parks and Disney in general. Now my friend did a lot of research, joined TGM, and of course has ME for a resource! :teeth: But my son was making fun of some of the things she'd said (ie. thinking you had to pay for Fast Passes).

Anyways, he then made some smart-alec comment asking how she couldn't know this. I pointed out that not everyone has been to Disney before (yes, he's privileged and has been an average of every other year since he was 2). He then said something like "oh, come on - how many kids in the US haven't been to Disney? Maybe 4 percent?!" :eek:

I pointed out that I really doubted that 96 percent of all kids in the US (even in our upper middle class range) have been to Disney. But it occurred to me that I really had no idea. While I tried to make the point to him that he's very lucky to have had this experience, I also was wondering what the real statistic was! Any way to find out!? Thanks!

I don’t know, that a hard one, but I was just thinking if you can name about 100 people then ask your self how many of them went to Disney, it should give you an ideal about how many.

Out of all my friends I am the only one who's been there and I've been there twice.. I highly doubt its in the double % range. Dh wasn't there until last year.

I didn't go until I was 16 and that was with my high school marching band... and I'm at least on the East Coast.

I agree with the person that it's probably less than or very close to about 10%!

I don't know any kids other than my niece (who I took this year) who have been to WDW. I do know several that have been to DL since it's closer and a lot of Montanans are transplants from California and still have relatives there.

Anyone know?

Just curious because when we were out at lunch, DS14 was making fun of friends of mine who were at Disney right now (for their very first, and probably only - due to financial constraints - trip) for how little they knew about the parks and Disney in general. Now my friend did a lot of research, joined TGM, and of course has ME for a resource! :teeth: But my son was making fun of some of the things she'd said (ie. thinking you had to pay for Fast Passes).

Anyways, he then made some smart-alec comment asking how she couldn't know this. I pointed out that not everyone has been to Disney before (yes, he's privileged and has been an average of every other year since he was 2). He then said something like "oh, come on - how many kids in the US haven't been to Disney? Maybe 4 percent?!" :eek:

I pointed out that I really doubted that 96 percent of all kids in the US (even in our upper middle class range) have been to Disney. But it occurred to me that I really had no idea. While I tried to make the point to him that he's very lucky to have had this experience, I also was wondering what the real statistic was! Any way to find out!? Thanks!

I honestly don't know a single person in my circle of friends, and my kids' friends who hasn't been at least once. DD said it's come up in conversation with her teacher before, and in her words "pretty much everyone" raised their hand and said they'd been. However, most people really only take their kids once, maybe twice. We've taken the kids 4 times (once every two years since my DS was 2) and our friends think we go "all the time"

I am sure the number that have gone to either Disneyland or WDW is a lot smaller than one would think. Growing up in Southern California, I "grew up" going to Disneyland. And now that we live in No. Ca we go about once every 18 months. But that is our main vacation place.

I honestly don't know a single person in my circle of friends, and my kids' friends who hasn't been at least once. DD said it's come up in conversation with her teacher before, and in her words "pretty much everyone" raised their hand and said they'd been. However, most people really only take their kids once, maybe twice. We've taken the kids 4 times (once every two years since my DS was 2) and our friends think we go "all the time"

That's what I was thinking. I can't think of anyone that I know who hasn't been to WDW. :confused3 And we don't live close to it or anything. I'm sure that there are a lot of children who have never been, but I don't personally know of any.

I totally think it is regional. If you are from Florida or Georgia or Alabama, you have been, but the further north and west you go, the fewer have gone....In Minnesota I don't know many people that have been, they are quite happy with Dells, 6 Flags and Valleyfair (I was there on the 4th and let me tell you, never again)

In Montana, family vacations are generally outdoorsy types of trips. Yellowstone, Glacier, Mount Rushmore, go to Canada, etc or just camping in Montana. Not only have most the people I know not been to WDW, most of them don't understand why I would ever want to go with the heat, the people, so flat, etc.

I'm thinking it's a small %. I only went once as a kid and that was sometime in the 70's. I don't even remember it much (other than it rained and I didn't get to see Mickey so ended up watching the Hall of Presidents instead).

The next time I went was when we went in 2005. That was the only time my kids have gone, so my DD was 11 before she even got to go to Disney and it will be a few more years before we get a chance to go back again.

I'm betting there are several kids around here that have never been.

I totally think it is regional. If you are from Florida or Georgia or Alabama, you have been, but the further north and west you go, the fewer have gone....In Minnesota I don't know many people that have been, they are quite happy with Dells, 6 Flags and Valleyfair (I was there on the 4th and let me tell you, never again)

Absolutely regional. I grew up in MA and I know lots of people who have never been. I was in my 30s my first trip. I know I'd have something to say to my child who dared make fun of someone who didn't know all about Disney.

I would say less than 10%. The people on this board are (broadly speaking) middle class and have incomes which allow them to go to WDW. It is therefore likely that most of the people known by board members are in a broadly similar situation. There are millions of chidlren who will be lucky to leave their state before the age of 18, let alone go to WDW, but their parents don't frequent here, not least because they don't have any interest in a board about a destination they cannot afford. Plus, these are the families which do not have access to the Internet at home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter