What IS your park bag?

On previous Disney/amusement park trips, I've carried this Overland Equipment crossbody (which seems to be unavailable now :() for my junk and my husband carried an old LL Bean backpack for extra water bottles, a change of socks, souvenirs, etc.

I bought this packable backpack last year for day hiking and think we might try "downsizing" on our April trip. But I carry a purse everywhere and might feel strange without my stuff right at my hip :worried:

I have a WDW backpack that I bought in the All-Star Movie's gift shop a few years ago. It's not too big and not too small, and holds everything comfortably. My only gripe with it is that I have to put my water bottle in a gallon-size baggie and stick it inside the backpack because there aren't any mesh outside pockets for it. So, I might get a different bag for this year's trip before I go-but it will be a backpack. I carry so much stuff like first aid supplies and all that a different type of bag just isn't practical and I have a big belly so wouldn't be caught dead wearing a fanny pack.

The cheap Nike or Adidas gym bags from Ross or TJ Maxx. Two stings over the shoulders. Light - lots of room and easy to look into at bag check.

Those that take no bag, or fanny packs only, how do you make sure you drink enough water through the day?

Those that take no bag, or fanny packs only, how do you make sure you drink enough water through the day?

I'm not sure what not carrying a bag around the park has to do with staying hydrated, but here goes.... I can't speak for every one, but for our family we just buy a bottle or get the complimentary cup of ice water at a counter service restaurant whenever we're thirsty. (And for the record, we did the same thing even when I carried a large crossbody bag to the parks every day). We always have a case or two of water in our room so we will often carry a bottle with us when we leave the room but we just hold the bottle in our hands -- it's usually empty shortly after arriving at the park anyway. Buying a few bottles of water a day at Disney is an insignificant amount of money in the scheme of things when looking at the total cost of the trip. We're always at Disney in June and it's too hot to be lugging a backpack full of water bottles around for 5+ people all day (actually, I wouldn't carry one around at any time of year but especially not in summer). It's totally worth the extra ~$15-20/day to just buy the water (or Powerade) when we want it.

Thanks Bluezy, that was really helpful. Good point on the lugging full bottles around!

Another question - If you do take a bag, do you just take it on all the rides? (I know Universal has a no bag on any ride policy, they have lockers you can use to store them in at each ride).

Thanks Bluezy, that was really helpful. Good point on the lugging full bottles around!

Another question - If you do take a bag, do you just take it on all the rides? (I know Universal has a no bag on any ride policy, they have lockers you can use to store them in at each ride).

I believe you can take your bag with you on all rides at DW. Any time I've carried a bag (and I'll admit it's been a long time since I've carried a bag that is bigger than a wallet), I've been able to keep it with me on the rides. There are lockers by Kali River Rapids so you can store your things and keep them dry while you're on the ride.

I had a small messenger bag from the Disney Store that I had personalized that I used for years but it was retired last year due to abuse and fraying and I just grabbed a le Sportsac hipster at TJ MAXX that worked well. I usually have water, sunscreen, iPhone, charging block and cable, poncho (if needed), lipstick, inhaler, whatever medication/bandaids I might need for the day (dose of Aleve, Lactaid) in a small container, eyeglass case since I switch from rx sunglasses to glasses as needed.

As much of a pain in the (you know what) it was, we had a double stroller on our last two trips in 2011 and 2013. it held most of our bottles, misc. items and my dslr camera bag (when we walked around) I also attached my GoPro camera to the handle and got some neat footage of us walking in parks or walking to/from Epcot. Also got the added bonus of video that looked like Minnie Mouse walking us around the park :teeth:. My niece had a Minnie Mouse ear hat that helped creat that effect :love:

I'm struggling with what I'm going to do for our trip in June. I definitely need to carry around my Contigo double walled sports bottle, so I need something to carry it in. I rarely wear, and do not like backpacks, but I'm gonna have to use one this year. I've got my heavier duty (and hot) Dslr camera bag to use on any day I bring a tripod. I also, bought one of those light weight daypacks, for lighter days. I really wanted to like a sling style bag, but they just feel like they are gonna fall off for me.

Last edited:
My first couple of trips, I used my Jo Totes Betsy camera bag; it's fairly roomy, but it gets pretty heavy. On our last trip, I used an old Dickies backpack. I'm still trying to decide what to use for our upcoming trip.

IMG_5210.jpg
This is a stock photo obviously, But I have used this for the last 5 years on every single trip. It's just roomy enough without being bulky and had a flat shoulder piece that adjusts to where you want it, so no irritation at all. All leather water proof and mine has a perfectly placed tinkerbell! Bonus!

I knew for this trip that I didn't want a crossbody bag as it starts to dig/feels heavy after a while and it cuts off my Disney t-shirts. So I went with a cute mini backpack that works great (got it on sale for $45): https://www.amazon.com/LeSportsac-M...&sr=8-1&keywords=lesportsac+mini+voyager&th=1

That said, I think my DH has won the Disney bag debate as his Tortuga backpack is PERFECT. It is ergonomic with a clip at the front and mesh for breathability. It weighs nothing, folds down to nothing, is small enough to fit in the ride bag holders, has water bottle side pockets, has a mesh pocket in the front that is perfect for slipping park maps into, and lots of pockets around for things like sunglasses or tickets. It even has a laptop sleeve if needed (no padding of course).

It's the perfect bag! I am jealous of it right now on our trip. :) https://www.amazon.com/Tortuga-Travel-Daypack-Lightweight-Sightseeing/dp/B01AV9OI2A/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1491188066&sr=8-6&keywords=tortuga

I have a Disney Vera Bradley mini Hipster crossbody and I also have a Disney Dooney Letter carrier crossbody. I like them both but the Dooney holds a bit more. I think I may try a fanny pack next trip (yep you heard me right! lol) I have seen some cute ones on Instagram and I like that it's even more hands free than the cross body.

I have a Vera Bradley on the go cross body bag that I just got. It looks like it would be big enough for most people or maybe even too big for some, but I have a 4 year old and have never learned the meaning of packing light so I will probably also bring my camelback daypack minus the water (I do use a water bottle with a filter for that) for a large portion of the stuff I bring.

My mother and sister plan to use the new Disney cinch bags they got (https://m.disneystore.com/bags-tote...h-sack-disney-cruise-line/mp/1401062/1000291/). They are both type 1 diabetics so they do have stuff they need to carry with them. After seeing the bag she in person I must say I'm beginning to think I want one too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter