What is your not so normal item to pack, which is helpful while at WDW ?

A little odd, but I usually bring a Roku. I can plug it into the tv in any hotel or resort and easily use streaming services.
Not odd AT ALL. I've been bringing a Fire Stick with me whenever I travel. I actually keep a spare that is only for travel. The issue I sometimes have had is when the tv is closely attached to the wall and I can't get the Fire Stick inserted. I've also learned to bring an extension cord in case there isn't an available outlet on or near the tv.

Is the Roku easier to deal with as far as attaching it to the tv than a Fire Stick?

We collect $1.00 and $5.00 bills for tip money prior to our vacation trip. We typically save about $100 in $1.00 bills and $100 in $5.00 bills.
We use this money throughout our trip to tip baggage handlers, bar tenders, room service, daily house keeping, ...
It is helpful to have these smaller value bills readily available from the start of the trip.
And collecting these small bills throughout the months before your trip is easy -- you barely notice these small bills missing from your wallet.
Tipping for good service is important.

once my child had braces and the wire came out on a disneyland trip. we had to buy items to cut off the wire but since then even though no more braces i still carry a set of 'tools' that include small scissors, tweezers, etc. for mishaps like that.

We also take extra pillow cases to put over the hotel pillow case. I like having that extra layer between me and the hotel pillow. I figured this out after realizing that my nose is usually stuffy after spending the night in a hotel. If I forget my extra pillow case, I'll use a clean t-shirt and just lay it on top of the pillow.
Doesn't work for those that fly. But I bring my own pillows. Makes sleeping in the car easier too.

I figured this out after realizing that my nose is usually stuffy after spending the night in a hotel. If I forget my extra pillow case, I'll use a clean t-shirt and just lay it on top of the pillow.

This happens to me too - my theory is that it is the bleach they clean the sheets with, but I'm just guessing. It could be dust mites if you're allergic to them. We have those protective covers at home.

My things to bring are inflatable camping pillows. They fold really small, are easy to blow up, and provide seating anywhere. We used them for parades the last time.

We collect $1.00 and $5.00 bills for tip money prior to our vacation trip. We typically save about $100 in $1.00 bills and $100 in $5.00 bills.
We use this money throughout our trip to tip baggage handlers, bar tenders, room service, daily house keeping, ...
It is helpful to have these smaller value bills readily available from the start of the trip.
And collecting these small bills throughout the months before your trip is easy -- you barely notice these small bills missing from your wallet.
Tipping for good service is important.

I like to bring lots of $1s and $5s, too. When I can find them (I ask whenever I'm at a bank), I love to throw in some $2 bills as well, to include in special tips. People seem to get a real kick out of them, though one person thought I was trying to give him counterfeit money because he'd never heard of $2 bills before.

My things to bring are inflatable camping pillows. They fold really small, are easy to blow up, and provide seating anywhere. We used them for parades the last time.

Great idea for parades!

I love this thread, and have gotten so many tips from it! Has anyone composed a master list by the way?

However…

I just want to throw in what I just learned (well, I’ve always known but just had the unpleasurable experience of dealing with firsthand). Be careful that your packing doesn’t get out of hand! We took a trip where we drove and had a 15 passenger van. I threw in so many things “just in case”. Unpacking it all in the villa and then repacking for home, and again when we got home (we’ve been home since Sunday night and I’ve only unpacked a little because we’ve been so busy since we got back!). I’ll bet I had the equivalent of a full sized suitcase or more of things I took that might come in handy and I never touched!

For the future I want to think of it differently.
1. Items that if we forget we are really in trouble - glasses, contacts, prescription medications, medical supplies.
2. Random items I will use- zip lock bags, cloth diapers for rags, hand sanitizer, pool dive toys, small screwdrivers, batteries, ponchos, umbrellas.
3. Things I like but don’t need-and might not use- Disney bubble wands, lots of Minnie ears, quarters and pennies, extra shoes, every OTC med known to man, clothes pins, kids toys
4. Things we might think we want but should not drag along! - Jedi robes (particularly in summer), droid depot droids, tons of different shoes for different outfits, long pants in summer, stroller lights, kids lighted nightlight toys/stuffies.

thise are just examples from each category off of the top of my head. But I want to remember the future that we are going to Disney, not a remote village in Africa, and I can buy most things we might need if it was urgent enough. Heck, with Amazon prime now we can get a lot without going to a store. And it’s better to over pay for a few things than drag along the entire house with me lol! The gift shop even has a lot of things we might need, and it’s worth the cost if it saves time.

So while I love these things and think there are some great ideas,I know that I, in particular, need to be careful what I add and try to pare down haha. I’ve always been an over packer, so we’ll see how I do, but I really need to not do this again!!

These things keep my kids from soaking themselves all day. I bring my own water and snacks and refill constantly.

51ErKc6TNmL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Oh and old cell phones for my kids to play with.

They are 4 and 2 and the attention span is non existent. Old cell phones are basically small tablets and when the wifi in Disney is actually usable (not often) they make great distraction from the guys back they had to stare at for the last hour while waiting to ride Pirates. LOL i load them up with videos and fun stuff. It might be lazy parenting but we do what is necessary. Haha

Things I like but don’t need-and might not use- Disney bubble wands, lots of Minnie ears, quarters and pennies, extra shoes, every OTC med known to man,
Hey, I’ve gotta tell you….when you NEED an Imodium, you do NOT want to be walking around to the gift shops looking for one!! I know this from experience 🤣🤣🤣 I can guarantee you we’ve never taken another trip without that particular med! (But yes, good categories there—I’m an habitual overpacker too.)

Hey, I’ve gotta tell you….when you NEED an Imodium, you do NOT want to be walking around to the gift shops looking for one!! I know this from experience 🤣🤣🤣 I can guarantee you we’ve never taken another trip without that particular med! (But yes, good categories there—I’m an habitual overpacker too.)
Haha, yes, I do have some OTC meds that would go with me regardless. But I seriously packed a mini pharmacy with me and only used ibuprofen. They do sell a decent selection in the resort shops, I should just bring the few essentials (pain meds, stomach meds, Benadryl come to mind).

On my last trip I heard the CM checking a guest out in the gift shop at riviera say this is a big seller today. I was nosy and curious so I looked over, and she was buying Pepto :oops: 🤣!

the mesh hamper suggestion on here was a game changer our last trip Can't believe we never brought one before and I loved it! Folds up to almost nothing in a bag.

My favorites (some random)
  • benedryl tablets - I carry these everywhere, and have "saved" people a few times who were having an allergic reaction or just needed one for relief
  • extra socks for the park backpack, in a ziplock bag. Even if shoes get soaked, dry socks go a long way.
  • Spot It game. So easy to pull out at an airport, hotel lobby, long wait for dinner, etc.
  • beach towel to keep in the car. Perfect for at least the driver to use on the seat if soaked to the bone after a water ride
  • ditto all the Yeti cup suggestions.
  • Small plug-in nightlight for bathroom area or sleeping area, depending on where it's needed most for the littles to navigate in the dark

I've added PooPouri to my Owners' Locker for the guest bedroom particularly for times when unrelated guests are sharing the room.

Not sure if this has been mentioned in the 107 pages….. but one of the things I bring along is my own box of Kleenex. Some of the Kleenex in the hotels are like the TP in the Parks….thin and rough. Some Kleenex in the rooms feels like sandpaper on my face.

Not sure if this has been mentioned in the 107 pages….. but one of the things I bring along is my own box of Kleenex. Some of the Kleenex in the hotels are like the TP in the Parks….thin and rough. Some Kleenex in the rooms feels like sandpaper on my face.
YES! I don't pack it: I buy it upon arrival, but yes, most definitely. I get one for each bedroom and the living room.

I love this thread, and have gotten so many tips from it! Has anyone composed a master list by the way?

I'm working on one! It will take me a while to go through all 107 pages.... but it's in progress :)

Edit: I'm up to page 24, hah! I work full time too, so give me... a week. I'm making a chart that goes with it so we can see how many people "unconventionally" bring things like.... ziploc bags ;)

Last edited:
So here's my very strange, but, useful item. I pack a small toaster. We like to be up and out for rope drop every morning, so don't want to spend a lot of time waiting in line (or sitting down) for breakfast. We order from Garden Grocer and I always include Bagels, English Muffins and cream cheese in that order. Also saves money on breakfast.

I’m sure this is listed somewhere but I have figured out how to get a good majority of groceries that I was going to have delivered to my hotel in my free personal item (rolling backpack) on the plane. I even have room for my clothes (short 5 day stay) The following take very up little space:

Skippy peanut butter squeeze packets
Jelly packets from McDonald’s (just ask for some)
Individual premeasured sugar and dry creamer
Tea bags
Instant cocoa packets
Instant oatmeal packets
Fruit snacks
Slim jims/jerky
Baggies/napkins/plasticware /trash bags/etc

All the above including a few extra snacks (bark chocolate, dried fruit, trail mix, etc) doesn’t even take up 1/4 of my backpack. I only need to buy bread and milk from the resort gift shop and that figures out breakfast and snacks.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter