What is your dorm budget??

I went over to Ollies to look at sheets today. They didn't have Twin XL, and the Sunbeam and other brand selection was pretty picked over so I am still looking for sheets. They did have really great prices on pillows though. Super cheap ones were 6.99 for 2. The nicer ones were 5.49 to 6.99 a piece - better than TJMaxx. They also had large white shower caddies for $2.49 (had a pink handle and I have a boy) and a 14x14x24 pop up mesh laundry hamper with pockets for $5.99 (didn't get it, was worried about size and durability).

Then I headed over to Dollar Tree. I got 2 plastic plates, 2 plastic bowls, 2 plastic cups, 2 metal forks, 2 metal spoons, an extra large ceramic mug (microwave safe for soups and such) and a blue shower caddy.

I also got a really nice Tommy Hilfiger comforter set at TJMaxx for $49.

Still working on clothes. DS has been in uniforms for the past 13 years of his life so he needs a whole new wardrobe! I'm getting there...

Oh , I hear you! Filling in a wardrobe after your kid has been in uniform for all of high school is daunting. My dd has enough to get by, but it's still weekend wardrobe. She just needs more of everything.

DS leaves in 3 weeks and I'm still working on dorm stuff. I've tried to spread purchases out over the last 3 months. I met his roommate and his mother at orientation this week. We talked about box fans and a shelving unit. I wanted to rent the micro-fridge combo ($220 for the year), but they didn't feel the boys needed it since they have an unlimited dining plan. I think DS would like having a small microwave for his microwave popcorn. I've been scouring the local Goodwill stores for one. Goodwill had tons of irons for $6.25 and desk lamps for $6.25. Today I finally found a small microwave for $15. I was so excited until I plugged it in. It runs constantly and the keypad fried. Oh well, so glad I tested it!

I still need to pick up toiletry items, laundry stuff, medicines, a first aid kit, sewing kit and 3 M strips. I got a 1.5 inch memory foam mattress topper. Do I still need a mattress pad on top of that?

Just when I felt like I was getting close to done, I made the mistake of googling "dorm décor". The crazy, over the top pictures of Ole Miss freshman dorms came up. O.M.G. These freshman Ole Miss girls hire decorators to do their dorm rooms! Now the decorator in me wants to get an area rug, curtains, a nightstand/credenza, and lamps all in his blue and red color scheme...you know...to create a focal point in front of the big window...crazy. I just need to hide the checkbook!!! I might still get him a rug though.

DS leaves in 3 weeks and I'm still working on dorm stuff. I've tried to spread purchases out over the last 3 months. I met his roommate and his mother at orientation this week. We talked about box fans and a shelving unit. I wanted to rent the micro-fridge combo ($220 for the year), but they didn't feel the boys needed it since they have an unlimited dining plan. I think DS would like having a small microwave for his microwave popcorn. I've been scouring the local Goodwill stores for one. Goodwill had tons of irons for $6.25 and desk lamps for $6.25. Today I finally found a small microwave for $15. I was so excited until I plugged it in. It runs constantly and the keypad fried. Oh well, so glad I tested it!

I still need to pick up toiletry items, laundry stuff, medicines, a first aid kit, sewing kit and 3 M strips. I got a 1.5 inch memory foam mattress topper. Do I still need a mattress pad on top of that?

Just when I felt like I was getting close to done, I made the mistake of googling "dorm décor". The crazy, over the top pictures of Ole Miss freshman dorms came up. O.M.G. These freshman Ole Miss girls hire decorators to do their dorm rooms! Now the decorator in me wants to get an area rug, curtains, a nightstand/credenza, and lamps all in his blue and red color scheme...you know...to create a focal point in front of the big window...crazy. I just need to hide the checkbook!!! I might still get him a rug though.

We bought a microwave for $26 at Walmart.

I think we spent about $500 but we brought a lot of stuff that he already owned like hamper, foot locker and robe.

Things that we did not buy - Microwave and mini-Fridge - both were big no-nos. The dorm monitors confiscated them if you brought them. They also confiscated power strips that didn't meet standards. They had have the UL label on them and they had to have a circuit breaker.

Things that were a total waste of money - Command Strips - his dorm had cinder block walls and they wouldn't stick. A Twin XL blanket - also a waste. DS said the dorm room was very hot. he got by with just a sheet and his comforter. YMMV on this one but I'd wait to see if the rooms run hot or cold before spending the money.

If you have a girl, I'd recommend avoiding those towel things that are a one piece replacement for a robe. DS reported two different girls had very embarrassing moments as the girl walked back from the shower wearing them. One had the side seam let go and one it literally slid down as she walked.

I bought the package of two sets of sheets, comforter, etc from the school for $170. It was just easier and it was guaranteed to fit.
Got a great shower caddy for him from Amazon. It's mesh with pockets for soap.
To make it easier for him I spent the extra money and bought him Tide PODS over regular liquid detergent (school said no powder in their machines). He loved them as he could just grab one and throw it on top of the clothes as he took them down to the laundry room instead of dragging the bottle of detergent with him.
Don't rely on the school WiFi - if you have a network cable bring one or pick one up at staples/best buy/office max - I paid $30 for a 25 foot cable. DS found that the school's wifi was so jammed from kids running not only their lap tops but their phones and tablets and... that the wifi was useless. He loved having the cable for his laptop. He'd switch it to his xbox if he wanted to watch a movie.
Picked up a lightweight 5x7 rug at Target for $30, nuetral color that worked really well on the the tile floor.
He really liked having posters on his walls as the rooms were very blah.
Don't forget basic school supplies - tape, pens, notebooks, etc. We totally forgot about this stuff and he had to buy it at the school book store and it cost twice as much as if I'd bought it at Staples.

Definitely don't invest too much, that's for sure. All the money I spent on stuff just for college has turned out to be a total waste of money because he HATED living at school. He finished out the first semester but he's been home now for 7 months and all that stuff is just collecting dust in the basement and it's going to get very dusty. He's transferring to the local community college to which he's going to commute until he has his associates degree then he wants to get his paramedic certification (this is a kid who was going to study environmental science) - my how plans can change.

We bought a microwave for $26 at Walmart.
Thanks for getting me to look at Walmart again. Last time I checked I only saw $50 microwaves. Yesterday I saw one for $29...not as good as your $26, but worth it for a new, properly working microwave.

Umm....I bought all my own dorm furnishings. My parents did buy me a computer.

We are buying minimal dorm stuff and his computer. We are also paying his tuition, room and board. Anything else he needs comes from the spending money he has worked all summer to save. We won't be giving him any additional money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter