What is with the photo obsession?

What does it hurt? Sometimes the small things just mean more to some than others..

Nothing, as long as the photographers aren't trying to lay claim to all the real estate between their subject and camera while they piddle round trying to take the picture. There are far too many people at WDW trying to take pictures now to avoid walking in their frames but many of them still get annoyed that everyone isn't stopping for them.

It doesn't bother me at all. In fact I will usually offer to take the picture for them so they can get in it also. It is vacation, people want to take pictures, as long as they are following the rules on flash and such, I don't see the big deal.

Maybe her late husband loved studying snails, maybe the snail had a Mickey Head swirl on it :).....who knows. I take odd pictures at Disney sometimes, water drops that look like Mickey. A picture of the HUGE spiders that hang off the stair wells at POP so I can look back and remember meeting them every morning as we came down to get on the bus LOL.

Maybe everywhere she turned she saw snails this year and wanted to document that her 2014 vacation was invasion of the snails. I don't pretend to know why people do the things they do.....but I know I must look awfully crazy to some people when they walk by and you're taking a picture of your drink mug, Pal Mickey or Epcot robot (remember when you could make those) sitting in front of ride signs LOL

My bet is that the snail bit her. It was radioactive and she began to experience odd symptoms... Perhaps she started to leave behind a trail of slime as she walked? Maybe the urge to curl up into her backpack whenever scared?

Wait no, this seems like another story (that's totally true) that I've heard before. Nevermind. :)

But I don't really need a degree in psycho-analysis to work out why I do it - as a single mum, travelling with two children under 12, it is nice to be able to share our fun with other adults as we go, and Facebook provides me with that outlet. Before we head off on our 4 week USA adventure (in 2 weeks time!!!), I will post a warning on Facebook to all my friends to stop following me if they don't want to see volumes of photos - lol!

Don't think I will be taking photos of snail, though!

I'm a single Mom too, and agree FB is a way to connect to other adults. Although our last trip I didn't post very much. When I went with my brother & his family in Feb, my brother set up a private FB group for us to post pics so we weren't flooding our news feed with our Disney pics, but we were still able to share them with all the grandparents, aunts/uncles/cousins back home who wanted to see them. That worked out really well.

I just got blinded tonight by someone taking pictures of their food at a Tex Mex restaurant in Texas, like those aren't a dime a dozen.

You know, there's another poster here on the DIS with that exact photo in their signature. You might want to check and see if someone has stolen your identity.

Personally I've come to the realization that when I look thru the lens to take a picture I miss so much of what is actually going on. pixiedust:

THIS:thumbsup2
I take very few pictures these days..Only because I have found I missed SO much more behind the lens..I want to live life as it happens

The only time it ever bothers me is on the Tower of Terror. For some reason, whenever I ride, the person in front of me absolutely insists on recording the whole thing on their super bright cell phone with their flashlight on. It kind of ruins it.

In our case, the pictures serve as physical visual memories for our family, and are hung all over our house :) although we aren't ones to take pictures of the scenery etc. We just like our family picture in front of the castle and a few other places in the parks. As for taking pictures of the attractions themselves or things like that, we don't do, I never really saw the point because I can keep those memories in my mind and those most likely aren't pictures I'd hang up unless the family is in it. But I think some people, esp first time goers and people that can only go once, would definitely want to soak it all in. But with how crazy social media is today (Facebook, twitter, instagram) taking a picture of every little thing is a big part of that I think.

The only time it ever bothers me is on the Tower of Terror. For some reason, whenever I ride, the person in front of me absolutely insists on recording the whole thing on their super bright cell phone with their flashlight on. It kind of ruins it.

I've taken photos on ToT (no flash). But I can't imagine having a cell phone out on that ride. With no strap and nothing to grip, it sounds like a great way to lose your phone.

I personally enjoy taking lots of photos. I take a memory card for my camera for each day we are there. I've taken upwards to 5,000 photos on one trip. I've just recently completed two scrapbooks from our last trip we took this past December. They weigh upwards to about 10 pounds each! They are filled with beautiful photos of great memories from our magical vacation. It's also a great way for our daughter(4) to relive the trip each time she looks at them. Yes she remembers the trip, but to go through all of the photos makes the trip stay alive in her memory. I look at them as heirlooms. I like different and unique images, angles, perspectives, etc. If you don't enjoy taking pictures, then don't. But, please don't knock those of us who do. What someone chooses to do with their photos is up to them. Whether it's store them in a cloud, scrapbook them, put them on their computer, so what!!! To each is their own!

However, I don't agree with people being rude about getting their shot! Like the snail lady....c'mon now!! That's something I just won't do. I wait until it's all clear to get the shots I want. I'm not one to be pushy and rude just to get a photo taken.

I think when digital came in, the number of pictures people take went up exponentially.

I remember when it happened. With my first baby, I was still using a regular camera with film and I took one roll a month, took them to CVS, developed them. That's it. I have to say I kind of miss that element of excitement when you would see what you got! (I know I could still do that, but I won't)

Then by the time the second baby came, we had digital and I had thousands all of a sudden.

It does take work to do something with them all, whether deleting them or storing them, backing them up, printing them, whatever you do. It was easier when I would just take the prints from the film and throw them in a photo album!

Photographs are my main "souvenir" of our trips. I take a lot of them, and I enjoy taking them and then having them printed off and put into an album once we get home. If my photo taking bothers anyone that's their problem, not mine. And with digital I can re-take the photo if someone walks in the way. Most of the time people aren't paying attention to someone who wants to take a photo, I understand that perfectly and I wait patiently until it's clear. But occasionally someone will step in just as I'm pushing the button, and I simply re-take it, no problem.

I am also one to take photos of food, especially if it's something unusual, or most definitely at dinner on a cruise. The first time I did it I was worried about what people would think, so didn't take many, and when I got home I wished I would have taken more. So now I am of the mindset that it's my food and I'm darned well going to take a photo of it (no flash) if I want to. :) I don't care what anyone around me thinks. They need to pay attention to their own family, and not worry about me taking a picture of my food. :)

I do try not to take the same photos at Disney. I mean, how many photos of the castle do I really need? :) But on our next trip I'm sure I will be taking a LOT of photos since this will be our grandchildren's first trip to WDW. :)

Some people enjoy taking photos, others don't.

I do agree that it's not right to be rude about taking photos, like a PP mentioned people standing in the doorway of a shop and getting angry at others while trying to take a photo.

You know, there's another poster here on the DIS with that exact photo in their signature. You might want to check and see if someone has stolen your identity.

I don't think that's a case of stolen identity....

I've taken photos on ToT (no flash). But I can't imagine having a cell phone out on that ride. With no strap and nothing to grip, it sounds like a great way to lose your phone.

Can you imagine the tons of dropped and crushed phones/cameras/Mickey ears at the bottom of TOT? :scared: I wonder what they do with them all?

Maybe it was a picture of one of those GIANT snails (and true) that are invading south Florida.

I wish I had got a photo of the ducks that were walking around the hub in MK quacking despite the CMs trying to get them out of the way for the MSEP. So cute and funny!

However, I don't agree with people being rude about getting their shot! Like the snail lady....c'mon now!! That's something I just won't do. I wait until it's all clear to get the shots I want. I'm not one to be pushy and rude just to get a photo taken.

The worst offender I ever saw was a MM photographer. Wishes had just ended and we were among the mass of people between the Hub and Main Street trying to get out, and a couple had decided this was a good time for them to get a picture in front of the castle (really? :confused3). He was standing there screaming as if thousands of people could hear him saying to stop and get out of the frame so he could take his picture. He was turning red faced as everyone who was crammed in close was laughing at his unreal request. He should have told them it would be about 20 minutes before he could get a clear shot.

Here now and a woman just got upset with my DH because he got in the way of her taking a pix of a snail on the sidewalk at our resort POFQ at nite! I have never seen so many people absolutely obsessed wit taking pix of every inane thing. Someone flashed all the way thru its a small world. So many flashes at FOTLK. Just constantly documenting every thing. Are these people actually doing anything with all these videos and pix. Are they subjecting all their family and friends to a a barrage of Instagram Facebook and Twitter images? I just dont get it. But really doesn't most of it just end up as e clutter in the cloud or on a computer? Go get some Disney coffee table books or artwork or post cards and call it a day Maybe. I'm getting old but it's just another way for people to have an excuse to ignore others around them Had to get that off my chest. Rant over and good nite!

Standing up slowly clapping.... Couldn't agree more!!!

I think it might be the other way around. This person is a new poster, and their post is just a copy/paste of part of another post in this thread (#4). Also, I checked their other post, and it's the same thing - a copy/paste of part of another post in the thread.

Here now and a woman just got upset with my DH because he got in the way of her taking a pix of a snail on the sidewalk at our resort POFQ at nite!

DoBug...when you say this woman "got upset" with your DH what did she do to demonstrate her displeasure with him?

I *do* agree. We take a picture here and there but for the most part we just like to enjoy ourselves in the moment:goodvibes without always feeling the need to take a picture.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter