What is/was your long term DVC plan? Please add your thoughts!

Looks like selling has worked out for you!

There are lots of things that I miss and wish were still the same. Some small things like the cookie ice cream sandwich from Main Street Bakery. Even if Starbucks had it, or any other shop for that matter, it wouldn't be the same because my memory is tied to MSB and coming out and finding a bench right next to it on Main Street - imagine that - to eat them with the kids before the melting.

And, I used to go to Comedy Warehouse and loved all the performers there. Occasionally I will see 1 or 2 in costume in MK or HS. Miss that experience a lot.
Also would go to the other club, the one you seem to favor - Kungaloosh - my old mind won't give me the name right now, but it was a lot of fun!

I rebel against having to plan dining and rides and now actual days in the parks. Yes, I would book restaurants but it had gotten to be a job instead of a pleasure, so I just quit. Substituted going to the bar at 'Ohana and ordering bread pudding, lol, or staying at Poly and having the Twilight feast delivered to our room.

I've continued to do walkups at restaurants and been semi successful as a single. Well not since Feb 2020. We'll see how that goes this winter coming up. With family, I have to book something.

And, I get to see Disney through new eyes. Back in Feb 2020, I was able to school my 14 year old grand nephew on how to do the new attraction at HS. He had no knowledge of it, not being a regular Disney visitor. When they arrived and went to the park they got an early boarding group and were in awe of this ride and had a wonderful time in HS.

Plus my little grand children are coming up and will love what is offered now.

I like to reminisce, but not to live in the past or make regrets dominate what time I have left. My DVC still has a bit over 20 years and I'm 68. I intend to enjoy the new and remember the past. But, I'll still be watchful of what the mouse gets out of my pocket.

Take care and enjoy!
To the bolded—that’s our attitude. We will get thorough use of our points and the resorts, but there is a limit to our spending. When APs hit a certain price, we switched to every other year and just skip the parks sometimes. If APs don’t return, we will pare down park time further. No way I’m buying five to ten day passes for every trip. Might be a two day every so often purchase instead. Dining right now seems crazy. I’ll cook. I don’t have bottomless pockets.

To the bolded—that’s our attitude. We will get thorough use of our points and the resorts, but there is a limit to our spending. When APs hit a certain price, we switched to every other year and just skip the parks sometimes. If APs don’t return, we will pare down park time further. No way I’m buying five to ten day passes for every trip. Might be a two day every so often purchase instead. Dining right now seems crazy. I’ll cook. I don’t have bottomless pockets.

I'm lucky in that I have passes that should last me for quite a while. But not for the rest of the family. So, I do the credit card thing and earn points for passes. And also to offset some other travel expenses. I'm a 'light' person even when it comes to that but if the grands get to go every 2-3 years, I can take care of some expense to help out.

Going to Hilton Head is wonderful! I drive a hybrid so gas is minor. And we mostly eat in, with an occasional take out but rarely a sit down restaurant even in normal times. So, the grocery budget and the eating out budget takes care of food expenses, for the most part. Entertainment is mostly the beach and a few minor things. I would be happy to use all my points at DHHIR for the rest of the contract.

Right now we have four total contracts (160,60,175,175) for 570 points. We have a 8 year old and a 5 year old who love Disney and we enjoy taking family with us (thus more points for larger rooms). I don’t foresee that changing until our kids are in college. At that point we will just reassess where we are in life (I’ll be 53 when the youngest starts college). I think even if the kids don’t go the wife and I will still go to Disney. Maybe we back off and sell some points? Or the hope is the finically the amount of cash we would get from selling say 200 or so of our points wouldn’t really effect any plans and we just keep all 560.

Great thread! I’ll add our story.
We purchased 230 Vacation Club Resort points in 1992 after touring it in Nov. 1991. At that time, I was 31 and my wife 32 and our daughter was 4. We knew we wanted in and it was the only way we could afford to stay on-site. So we paid $51/pt and became owners of a sliver of Building 13. We added on 30 pts, then 25 more in the next two or three years.

We went to WDW at least twice a year, those free annual passes were great. In 1994, our son was born, but we still went often, almost always staying in studios to save points. Some times we flew down from CT, other times we drove. Our kids have always loved Disney so they always wanted to go.

Fast forward to BLT being built and we added on 100 points there. We bought them at a DVC roadshow they had on Long Island. They did those often back then.

We used our points at the Grand Californian a couple times as well as VB. Never been to HH. Around 2006, we started looking at buying a house in the Orlando area. The search and the “hunt” was a lot of fun. But I am a methodical electrical engineer so nothing was done on impulse. Good thing since prices caved in 2009. Finally, in 2013 we bought a house in Lake Nona, about 20 minutes from EPCOT.

We never contemplated selling as we used the points got a few days here, a few there, and the kids still loved going. We usually bank some points and just roll them forward. We did start staying in bigger units, including the glorious Beach Cottage at VB.

In 2010 our daughter was married at the Wedding Pavillion with the reception at the Napa Room at the contemporary. In 2012 our first grandson was born, and has been to Disney 22 times in his almost 9 years. Not bad for living 1200 miles away. Our second grandson arrived in 2017 and he seems to love it as well.

We are now 61 and 62, the kids 34 and 27. Our love of WDW has not diminished much and the kids still love it, they just go to Trader Sams instead of Dumbo.

I retired on 2018 but with the kids and cats in CT, we have not been able to do the full “snowbird “ thing. But that’s OK, we can go when we want to and the kids can use the house or DVC.

I don’t see us selling DVC, we will probably just let it expire in 2042. It has provided a lifetime of treasures and memories that I could not have imagined in 1992. Still 21 years to go!!!!!

mac_tlc

We bought in 2004 and 2005 when the kids were in middle school without thinking too much about retirement. Now, at 65 we vacation differently with our 500 points. Our Floridian family visits us while we are at Disney, and we are able to get them rooms with our points. This year we are splurging on a CC cabin.

What we want our retirement plan to include is going for extended periods of time to get out of the cold NH winter: a week at one resort in a 1 bd, weekend at family´s house, back to Disney for a week, off to a different family for the weekend, back to Disney to a studio to save points, then off to a friend who lives there, and on and on till we run out of that year´s points. That is the plan anyway.

Since we have 2 and 3 year old grandkids, we will be taking them for a while too.

Very interesting thread. Like DougEMG we are from Victoria, British Columbia (Sooke actually) and just bought into DVC in December last year. I am retiring this November. My DH is 10 years older than me and has been retired for a lot longer. We decided to purchase DVC because we are retiring and as a gift to ourselves. The contract will outlive both of us and we're ok with that. Like DougEMG we go for longer stays, typically 2 weeks in a 1 bedroom (even though there are only 2 of us), every other year. Our grownup kids would like to come on occasion, when their work schedules allow - they love Disney too. It's funny, our first trip was over 20 years ago and I remember thinking this would be a one and done - just for the kids really. Little did I know that we would love Disney.

We're in Metchosin, so practically neighbors :)

Bought two contracts last year, one resale, one direct, as our go-to retirement destination and for our grown kids to enjoy.

Now Disney will decide our DVC fate.

If it costs $1000 (or more) for two old people just to go to the parks every time we go (usually 6-7 day stay), we'll sell our contracts and move on. Too expensive and plenty of other cheaper things to do. And no, we're not the kind that can just hang by the resort for the week.

The Disney vacation model seems to be trending towards higher costs and lower flexibility now. Both suck.

Thank you all for your stories, so interesting to read and think about as we are in our early years of DVC. We know exactly 0 DVC owners in real life to talk about this with.

DH and I vacationed in WDW in 2006 before kids. Looking back, I think our TA really suckered us. Grand Floridian, park hoppers, tons of dining at the top restaurants, all the bells and whistles you could imagine. Don't get me wrong, we had a great trip, but the cost definitely tempered our desire to come back until we had kids.

I honestly kind of forgot about WDW for the next decade. We traveled all over the place, some overseas, mostly in the US. Went back in 2018 with kids, one of which is special needs and obsessed with all things Pixar, for the opening of Toy Story Land. We wanted to take our moms, so TA got us a 2 bedroom at CC. We had eaten at Artist Point on the first trip and my husband's jaw dropped when he saw the lobby. That trip was 100% perfect, down to the last drop of Dole Whip, and left us looking for a way to come back. Interestingly, I didn't realize we were in a DVC unit right away, but found out while researching Disney online. I'm not sure we would have ever bought if CC hadn't been selling at the time.

As far as future plans are concerned, we plan to keep it. I've heard several people say average ownership is 10 years, but if you have anyone with special needs in your family, you get it when I say Disney makes it special. DVC lets us go at a slower pace and feel like a normal family. I will sacrifice an awful lot in order to go on our yearly trips, they're so good for our family. DD is showing signs of turning into a 'lifer' too, so if she wants it, she can have it someday. I am pretty sure we'll add on enough to bump from one bedrooms to two soon, then don't see us doing any more. We have to provide life long care for special needs kiddo so once a year visits are enough.

if you have anyone with special needs in your family, you get it when I say Disney makes it special.
And that applies to all ages, and a wide gamut of special needs. I have a friend in his late 40s with Asperger's (very high functioning) but he is a totally different person at Disney. He smiles, he interacts, he really enjoys it. Most people with Asperger's aren't particularly social, they often find it difficult to pick up on social cues. At Disney, he's a social butterfly, loves talking to people while waiting in attraction queues, you'd never know that usually he's a bit standoffish and quiet.

In addition to my DVC (430 pts), I also own Wyndham (1.4 million pts) and Hilton HGVC (14,400 pts) and about 64K RCI points. These combined will let me stay close to WDW or on property 6 months or so a year, if I choose. Still working at the moment, so just a few trips a year right now.

Interesting thread and stories.. here it is mine -although different from the majority lol..

I’m 45 yrs old, divorced no kids, but one 5 yr old niece that is very spoiled (guilty!).. I own 560pts, I plan to use them for NYE, weekends here and there, and big family trips every two yrs..

Add-on-itis caught me in the pandemic.. I only had 100 pts which should have been enough lol.. thankfully I could indulge myself with it :)

Long term I expect to have health and a long life to use them til the end of the contracts.. and eventually buy some for my niece depending on whether she becomes a Disney addict as me :)

We purchased DVC in 2019, after we had retired. It started with a cash reservation where we decided to book a deluxe resort to attend a Halloween party. So over the 6-8 months before our stay (it would be our 2nd WDW stay, first being in 1999], I started planning our trip and DVC came up in the research. As I compared the cost of the trip to a DVC stay, I saw the potential comparative savings with DVC.

So, a DVC tour was made as part of the trip. We went on the tour and just couldn’t resist the $20,000+ backpack. Actually, we struggled over 2 factors. First, would we continually want to stay at a DVC resort? Second, our age. There’s no way we’ll be able to live to the end of the contract. Would we have an out at some point in the future? Well, we have one son who’ll takeover the contract and based on limited resale data, we should be able to sell for more than my financial analysis planned. Also, our financial analysis only required point utilization over the next 5-7 years to come out ahead. So, we walked away with that backpack and Riviera as our home resort on that trip.

We scheduled our first DVC trip for December 2020, taking our granddaughter on her first Disneyworld visit, oh, her parents were invited too. Of course, we know what happened in 2020, but we kept our plans. In the mean time, we lost a Disneyland trip, but switched it to WDW trip where we rented points. We also looked at when we might travel and add-on-itis hit, so we bought more points for a total of 160 during this trip. Our granddaughter loved WDW and will love it even more as everything opens up.

We just visited in April for the Flower & Garden Festival and have a trip planned in January for the Arts Festival. Our granddaughter starts school this year and once she has a routine, we’ll be planning her second WDW visit. That will take another 2 year’s worth of points. Beyond that, we’d like to do an Aulani trip and a Disney cruise (likely a DVC stay too).

As I’m sure many here do, I keep a spreadsheet of our cost analysis. I update it with “real” numbers after each trip. For instance, rooms for our December trip would’ve been about $9,000 (no discounted rooms ever came up). We purchased Gold AP vouchers before the shutdown, so we saved on park tickets over 3 trips. Once we’ve utilized 5-7 years of points, if we choose to sell, we’ll come out ahead. In any case, having DVC is worth it to us.

Last edited:
We bought in 2004 and 2005 when the kids were in middle school without thinking too much about retirement. Now, at 65 we vacation differently with our 500 points. Our Floridian family visits us while we are at Disney, and we are able to get them rooms with our points. This year we are splurging on a CC cabin.

What we want our retirement plan to include is going for extended periods of time to get out of the cold NH winter: a week at one resort in a 1 bd, weekend at family´s house, back to Disney for a week, off to a different family for the weekend, back to Disney to a studio to save points, then off to a friend who lives there, and on and on till we run out of that year´s points. That is the plan anyway.

Since we have 2 and 3 year old grandkids, we will be taking them for a while too.
HELLO fellow Granite Stater! Winters are brutal so we are all over the snowbird thing LOL!

I never had a long term plan. I fell in love with Boardwalk the minute I saw it and I knew I wanted to stay there. Absolutely no thought went into it. Went home after that vacation and started stalking resales. I only have 150 points total, but it's been plenty for me most years.

@WebmasterDoc. Bought in 2004, 2010, and 2013. The 2004 points are gone (SSR), but the other two contracts (both VWL) are still active. Over the years, we've used the points to stay everywhere but Boardwalk, Aulani, and Riviera--though a Riviera stay is coming up in September. Mostly stay at VWL, especially during the holidays. My youngest was four when I bought the SSR contract, and now she doesn't much care to go other than once every few years given she's in college (senior) and about to head off on her own within the next year.

The hardest part over the years was having enough points for the trips we wanted, so borrowing was always a thing. We've taken week-long trips planned several months out and last-minute ones for just a couple of days. By the time I bought in, I had retired (military), though I've never actually stopped "working." At first, it was all about the parks, and gosh, it was nice to have marvelous accommodations with some nice perks. Over the years, the perks have largely gone away; the discounts have lessened; and the parks have become too crowded. So, now we largely go to enjoy the Disney moments that still exist, especially at places like WL: marvelous theming, gorgeous architecture, and little Disney touches. Do we hit the parks? Sure, but if we do five rides over three days, that's considered "a lot."

With that in mind, we no longer plan long trips--four days max. Disney Springs is almost as big of a draw as the parks, certainly better eats overall. One reason for that attitude is that we, too, moved to HHI. We can slip down to WDW in just over five hours, but we already live in a lovely vacation place where we enjoy the Disney dust. We didn't do the rent, condo, buy pattern; instead, after visiting here five times over six years during the summer, it became the spot we focused on to settle down. I was still involved in other activities where we moved from, including teaching high school, but when Covid shut us down, the timing just seemed right. We began looking in earnest at houses here well over a year ago, and once committed, realized how hot the market was. We visited a couple of times in the spring of '20, finally found a place that didn't disappear from the MLS listing overnight, made an offer, and put our own house on the market. Three weeks later, we had an offer on our house.

Fast forward six weeks or so, and we rented a truck, packed up, and took off the following day around 6 a.m. The drive was a touch over five hours. After a quick lunch, we closed on our old house, then two hours later, closed on the house we were moving into. What a day! Been here nine months and love it. The points we own are great to use for a quick trip down to WDW, and while we own APs, they don't drive our trips. We both work part-time, and when we feel like it, we head down, enjoy a few days, and come back. Long gone are the days we're going to spend hours upon hours in the park and spend money in shops or stores. In fact, the inventory offered by Disney any more is boring, generic, and overpriced.

In essence, we help Disney's bottom line by owning DVC, having APs, and the occasional tchotchkes. But, they'll never get us back to the parks the way we used to visit--again, too crowded, too little actual value for things like paid events, and too generic. We've not abandoned Disney, but we've decided they are now a distant relative. Great thread, by the way!

@WebmasterDoc. Bought in 2004, 2010, and 2013. The 2004 points are gone (SSR), but the other two contracts (both VWL) are still active. Over the years, we've used the points to stay everywhere but Boardwalk, Aulani, and Riviera--though a Riviera stay is coming up in September. Mostly stay at VWL, especially during the holidays. My youngest was four when I bought the SSR contract, and now she doesn't much care to go other than once every few years given she's in college (senior) and about to head off on her own within the next year.

The hardest part over the years was having enough points for the trips we wanted, so borrowing was always a thing. We've taken week-long trips planned several months out and last-minute ones for just a couple of days. By the time I bought in, I had retired (military), though I've never actually stopped "working." At first, it was all about the parks, and gosh, it was nice to have marvelous accommodations with some nice perks. Over the years, the perks have largely gone away; the discounts have lessened; and the parks have become too crowded. So, now we largely go to enjoy the Disney moments that still exist, especially at places like WL: marvelous theming, gorgeous architecture, and little Disney touches. Do we hit the parks? Sure, but if we do five rides over three days, that's considered "a lot."

With that in mind, we no longer plan long trips--four days max. Disney Springs is almost as big of a draw as the parks, certainly better eats overall. One reason for that attitude is that we, too, moved to HHI. We can slip down to WDW in just over five hours, but we already live in a lovely vacation place where we enjoy the Disney dust. We didn't do the rent, condo, buy pattern; instead, after visiting here five times over six years during the summer, it became the spot we focused on to settle down. I was still involved in other activities where we moved from, including teaching high school, but when Covid shut us down, the timing just seemed right. We began looking in earnest at houses here well over a year ago, and once committed, realized how hot the market was. We visited a couple of times in the spring of '20, finally found a place that didn't disappear from the MLS listing overnight, made an offer, and put our own house on the market. Three weeks later, we had an offer on our house.

Fast forward six weeks or so, and we rented a truck, packed up, and took off the following day around 6 a.m. The drive was a touch over five hours. After a quick lunch, we closed on our old house, then two hours later, closed on the house we were moving into. What a day! Been here nine months and love it. The points we own are great to use for a quick trip down to WDW, and while we own APs, they don't drive our trips. We both work part-time, and when we feel like it, we head down, enjoy a few days, and come back. Long gone are the days we're going to spend hours upon hours in the park and spend money in shops or stores. In fact, the inventory offered by Disney any more is boring, generic, and overpriced.

In essence, we help Disney's bottom line by owning DVC, having APs, and the occasional tchotchkes. But, they'll never get us back to the parks the way we used to visit--again, too crowded, too little actual value for things like paid events, and too generic. We've not abandoned Disney, but we've decided they are now a distant relative. Great thread, by the way!

Our DVC story is just beginning, but I have plans! I guess we'll see how well I keep them. Warning, this is going to be a loooong post!

We started going to Disney 5 years ago when our twins were toddlers and our youngest was just a baby. First trip I didn't know anything and booked less than a week before the trip on a whim because I was exhausted from work and the kids, it was my birthday/wedding anniversary that weekend, and disney seemed like a kid-friendly option to get away for a few days. I grew up overseas so had never been before as a child (or ever). We were only going for three nights, and I never expected us to return, so I figured we'd splurge on the "best" hotel--which to my disney novice self meant GF. From the minute the fireworks started across the lagoon on that first night (I didn't actually know that there were fireworks at Disney World--I told you I knew nothing), I was hooked. The twins had the time of their lives, everything was super magical, and before I knew it a couple months later I had booked another trip, this time at the Poly.

We bounced around averaging 2-3 short trips a year staying 2-4 days at a time, trying out different resorts for the variety as well as some 3-night disney cruises. We probably spoiled ourselves too much on our first couple of trips, because early on we tried staying at a moderate to trim down the cost, and it just very much confirmed we were deluxe-addicts. My work schedule never allowed me a full week off a time, so the short trips were by necessity, but we packed a lot of family fun into those little vacations.

Fast forward to 2019. My work schedule and the lack of family time that resulted from it was just soul killing and I decided on a career change. I was on a Disney trip in Epcot when I received a phone call with a job offer from my favorite of the employers I'd interviewed with. They couldn't match my current salary, but offered three full weeks of vacation and the promise I'd always be able to take it. The couldn't have read my mind better--I accepted on the spot!

DVC was something I always knew I would love, but at my old job it was impossible because we could never plan vacations more than a few weeks in advance. Soon after we moved it was the pandemic and I found myself at home all day, every weekend, with a lot more time to waste on internet research. I started really pricing out the points we'd need and realized that with my new vacation schedule and our current finances, we could make this work! We also used up my days newfound vacation on a bunch of longer pandemic Disney trips because most other travel was made difficult. This spring, I came to these boards to help me with the final decision (Poly resale or Riv direct), and then pulled the plug and bought 150 points at RIV.

Plus, as others have said in this thread, Disney is so great for special guests of Mickey. Our youngest DS is autistic, and Disney is truly a magical place for him (and us) in a way that no other vacation is.

Which FINALLY gets me to the "long-term" question that prompted this life-story post. The plan is that we will alternate some years doing a short stay in a 1br followed by a cruise, along with some weeklong studio stays in other years. However, our first trip as DVC members is booked two months from now and we are staying at a 1br at the first time, which probably means the studio plan will go out the window and we'll be addicted to 1brs for all our future stays. I suspect I am a soon-to-be-victim of a major case of add-on-itis.

If I were a betting person I'd put good money on a bet that my kids will be lifelong disney fans, but that changes, we will bank/borrow for an Aulani stay or try Vero and/or HHI. Our contract goes to 2070 and I really doubt we'll live that long, so selling in 30 or so years is probably the end plan for us, though I will hold onto it as long as I am able to for adult Epcot F&W trips in retirement. And who knows, maybe one of the kiddos will want to take it off our hands via gratuitous transfer when they are grown and have families of their own.

I'm totally going to be crying all over the lobby floor at Riviera when I hear my first "welcome home." I can't get over the "pinch me, I'm dreaming" feeling whenever I look at the countdown to our trip on our DVC dashboard. Disney trips have always been the highlight of my year, but knowing we have the magic ahead of us for the rest of our lives: that's quite a feeling.

Sleepydog25, I kept waiting for you to say you LIVED at the Disney resort. One of your quotes on another thread really got me intrigued--where you stated that you are "intimately familiar" with the resort (or something to that effect). Since you don't live there, maybe you work part-time at the resort???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!