What is/was your long term DVC plan? Please add your thoughts!

We will gift to DD about a decade or so before expiration and she can keep it or sell it for her if she has a specific purchase in mind.

This is what always got me about my plan to pass down VGF. My mother had a hard time selling her mother's home and car and all that, even though it obviously had to be done. Selling mom's Disney timeshare seems especially brutal, for something she loved so much. Let's just keep it and rent it out. Let's just think about it another year. Taking on the hassle to rent it out while the contract decays seems kind of sad, though I do think VGF's chart and location will make it a prime rental post 2057.

I don't want my kid to feel obligated to go to WDW, and who knows what the world will look like in 25 years when she has a toddler.

If WDW/VGF are dumps, I want her to unload it happily. I don't want her to feel like she has to go spend all this money in some commercial hell or visit the ghost of VGF, when the right thing to do is sell and go on a ski vacation. If I see Disney declining, I know that it's my responsibility to sell. The last thing I want is for my ridiculous amount of points to be a burden or an emotional weight.

^my husband was thinking legacy but I’m thinking it is somewhat of an expensive “curse” in the lightest sense of the word. Only because my 99 year old grandma has this super awesome camping membership that was great back in the day but now my mom wants to sell because she pays for the dues and nobody uses it. My mom has a favorite campground but it’s not within the club. She doesn’t have the heart to sell while grandma is still alive as my grandma loves the thought of passing down the membership -she hasn’t wanted to go camping for over a decade.

On the brighter side, giving with an open hand is a nice thing to do for future generations if you can swing it.

I think within 10 years of AUL expiration is a good time for handoff because I will likely be able to take grandkids a few times /places by then. Then DD can do anything with it! Hopefully I won’t “need” the money!

Last edited:
We first bought Boardwalk in 1998 snd have since added both direct and resale points at vero, old key west, animal kingdom, Aulani. We have sold points on the resale market and made enough money to buy more at another resort. Right now we have over 1200 points.
We are now in our 70s and use our points up quickly because we go at least twice a year, including once a year at aulani, and never get less than a one bedroom or stay for less than 10 days or more. We give a few points to friends and family occasionally.
Our plan is to keep our points as long as we are alive and leave our points in trust for use of our disabled daughter and her guardians to use on her behalf. We have two other daughters who will also be given access to the points from time to time.

We live in Victoria British Columbia and are a long plane ride away from WDW, so we like to go for longer trips just to make the hassle/expense of getting there worth it. We started buying DVC in later 2010 with our first contract being 400 points at SSR. The original plan was to have enough points to spend 3-4 months in the winter at WDW once we retired. So we started accumulating points between 2010-2012. Lucky for us this happened to have been the bottom of the DVC resale market. We ended up buying 1 more contract in 2014 and placing our daughter (she was finally 18+) on it and then another in 2018 at BLT (I wanted BLT).

My wife ended up taking an early retirement in 2012 and I retired in 2017. My retirement only lasted 4 months. While visiting a friend; who is an instructor at a college; I got offered a job to teach at the college. I really enjoy teaching and am now thinking I'll keep working at the college till I am 71.

So no winters in Florida yet.

This is what always got me about my plan to pass down VGF. My mother had a hard time selling her mother's home and car and all that, even though it obviously had to be done. Selling mom's Disney timeshare seems especially brutal, for something she loved so much. Let's just keep it and rent it out. Let's just think about it another year. Taking on the hassle to rent it out while the contract decays seems kind of sad, though I do think VGF's chart and location will make it a prime rental post 2057.

I don't want my kid to feel obligated to go to WDW, and who knows what the world will look like in 25 years when she has a toddler.

If WDW/VGF are dumps, I want her to unload it happily. I don't want her to feel like she has to go spend all this money in some commercial hell or visit the ghost of VGF, when the right thing to do is sell and go on a ski vacation. If I see Disney declining, I know that it's my responsibility to sell. The last thing I want is for my ridiculous amount of points to be a burden or an emotional weight.
Well, OKW is still pretty decent and she has been going since, what, 1991?? I don't think DVC will ever be a dump. We can argue that some are worn or updated to be plain vanilla or mousekeeping is slacking. But, overall, it's a good product. A free stay for my kids when they are settled with families down the line should be appreciated. The dues may be a hassle and, if so, they can sell and walk with some money in their pocket.
But I get the whole decaying of something being held onto for memories and emotional attachment but not using it. My mom and dad had a 43 foot motor yacht. My dad died in 2001 when they were 54. She kept the boat. Used it and maintained it for a few years (had boyfriends). Then couldn't use it on her own anymore or maintain. It sat in a boatyard and rotted away. SHe JUST sold it last year. SHe had in her mind what it was worth. Again, going on the emotional attachment of it. But it took her a while to realize it was best to unload it for chump change then to try and fix it up to get her imagined value. Took her years though. SHe should have sold it a couple years after my dad passed. While she could get that value she had in mind and while she was still healthy and fit enough to manage the boat until she sold it. Same goes for their house...which is just now going up for sale. But DVC is a different animal. And one of the best parts of owning DVC is that it is very re-sellable. And rentable. And usable.

We also started out in '93 at the Disney Vacation Club Resort. Never considered it as part of our retirement plan. We had high stress jobs and joining the vacation club ensured that we would almost be forced to vacation at least once per year with our twins (who were 6 at the time) . Well....that turned in to adding on with more contracts over the years as well as shedding contracts over the years as we finally extended our vacations to Europe and other locations. Our children have totally outgrown Disney and unless a grandchild comes along, I don't see them particularly excited about Disney as a vacation destination. So...we are now down to 500 points. We would use those at WDW in May and November and find some days in Vero Beach or Hilton Head as well. As the crowds grew and the planning became more intense, my better half's interest also has started to wane (he's lost the "magic").. particularly with the parks. He is now infatuated with Viking Cruises (they are incredible). This is my year to show him that we can just go to SSR, play golf, go to Disney Springs and relax by the pool. Or go to BWV and just browse around Epcot a bit. Get a cottage next year at Vero Beach etc. It won't be easy but I'm not ready to relinquish and sell the points just yet. If I have to, we'll just take a break and rent the points next year. As for retirement plan? We just wanted to get out of NY and we've found our way to lovely NC.

I wasn't planning on having the membership until much later in my life. It sorta landed in my lap when my brother gave it to me.

Long story short, he's no longer able to pay the annual dues, so he asked me to take over.

He bought 200 pts for BWV back in 1998. I still remember when we went to the tour. My mother was also there. When they were discussing the paperwork, I remember the salesperson mentioning that I'll be the only one left alive when it ends in 2042. He said "your son will be the only one left".

I laughed with my mother because the person thought I was his son. My brother is significantly older than I am because he has a different father. My mother had me when she was 40 and I think she was 19 when she had him.

I remember one of our best trips was not actually at a Disney resort. It was at the Sagamore Resort in Lake George NY. I wasn't sure how he was able to use his points for it, but I guess it was through RCI.

We rented one of their boats to tour the lake and we got stuck somewhere. My other brother had to jump out of the boat to clear the propeller of whatever was stuck in it. It looked like seaweed but it couldn't have been because we were in a lake.

Then on the way back to the resort we must've hit a rock with the propeller and dented the hell out of it. It was shaking all the way back to the resort. My brother was worried they were gonna charge him for it, but they didnt. It must happen all the time there, haha!

I think our last trip to Disney was 5 years ago. I remember wheeling my mom around in a wheelchair and we were going to go on the Mission Space ride in Epcot. There were two separate lines and one said that you shouldn't do it if you have any heart issues (which my mom has). I'm like, nah it will be fine come with us! Well it's a good thing she changed her mind at the last minute and parked just outside to wait for us when we got to the end of the line, because I was dizzy and wobbly after that ride!

Fast forward to today, now that the membership is mine, I think I'll rent the points out for this year and the next. My daughter is only 2 years old and I don't think she'll enjoy Disney until she's a little older.

We moved from NY to FL in 2019 and now we're only 2.5 hours away from Orlando. I'm so excited to start going to Disney again once she's older!

Very interesting thread. Like DougEMG we are from Victoria, British Columbia (Sooke actually) and just bought into DVC in December last year. I am retiring this November. My DH is 10 years older than me and has been retired for a lot longer. We decided to purchase DVC because we are retiring and as a gift to ourselves. The contract will outlive both of us and we're ok with that. Like DougEMG we go for longer stays, typically 2 weeks in a 1 bedroom (even though there are only 2 of us), every other year. Our grownup kids would like to come on occasion, when their work schedules allow - they love Disney too. It's funny, our first trip was over 20 years ago and I remember thinking this would be a one and done - just for the kids really. Little did I know that we would love Disney.

When Mom & I Purchased back in 1992, it was our second trip to WDW. Being from California originally, we we loved Disneyland. We were staying at the Contemporary in the Tower for two weeks that trip. Mom was 68, I was 34. Mom had broken her hip, and had to have 3 surgeries over the years to fix it, so her mobility was somewhat limited. We knew how easy it was to get around WDW, and knew it would be our main vacation destination for years to come. The minimum buy in then was 230 points. I was leery, but Mom said she was buying it regardless, which she rarely did, but every time it worked well. Our intent was to stay in studios twice a year. Well, once we experienced a one bedroom, we alternated trips between one bedrooms and studios. Between 1992 and 1996 we added 115 more points for a total of 345, which I still have today.

Now we weren't even going to go look at DVC. We didn't want a timeshare, given their lousy reputations. But we overhead a young couple on the monorail on the way to EPCOT talking about the beautiful Disney timeshare, the free park passes, and so on. So we stopped at the info kiosk, which at that time was inside the exit area of Spaceship Earth, and arranged for a tour the following morning. As I said, we bought 230 points that morning.

Mom has been gone 10 years now. But over the years we took many friends and family with us to Disney World. Now that almost all of my family has passed on (I'm the youngest of my generation of lots of 2nd cousins) I still take friends that have basically incorporated me into their family. Sometime one or two people go. But with the glut of COVID points, I'm going to have a group of 11 during Thanksgiving, using a GV and a 2 Bedroom. I haven't done a studio in years, getting a one bedroom even for solo trips. I usually stay 8 to 9 nights at a time, two times a year.

It's great that I'm not locked into one type of unit, or specific dates.

Last edited:
My first trip to Florida was in 1965 to visit family in Winter Park. Our first trip to WDW was in 1973 and I was hooked! DH and I were married in early 1980's and made our first trip as a couple. We were busy building a house, working and raising our son until he was three and then we had a Christmas/New Years stay at the Hilton at DS...I still love the photos of our little boy holding Tigger's hand! It became a nearly yearly tradition after that...

In 1993 I was fortunate enough to be asked to represent the USA at EPCOT's 10th anniversary at the American Adventure at EPCOT as an American Artist - wow, what a "gig" that was! No getting away from Disney now!

In 1996 we decided to jump in and bought OKW. We loved it from day 1! We bought WLV, SSR, VBR, more OKW and HHI. We sent our son to prep school, college and grad school and sold profitable contracts to help fund his education. He's now in his early 30's and married, living in TX. Our DIL is as big a Disney fan as we are, in fact we just bought a direct OKW 2057 for them. We spend a couple weeks at F & W with them over Halloween which is now our family tradition. We spend all year planning LOL! Hopefully, grandkids will show up one day and we'll be a five generation Disney family (my late grandma used to go with us in the 1970's- born in the late 1890's).

DH will retire in 3 years and the plan is to spend January at WDW, staying at HHI on the way down from NH and spending time at VBR so possibly two months or more. It occurred to us that we could actually do that after we sold our big house and downsized five years ago. It is amazing what life is like with no mortgage.

We have been thinking about living in FL for, well forever. We didn't buy a condo in Celebration in the late 1990's and are sorry we didn't - they were 85K. We may end up in FL at some point, but just escaping the bitter cold and snow of NH for a couple months will be enough early in retirement.

:wizard: We have seven contracts and are still actively buying until we feel we have enough (well, that probably won't ever happen LOL)...or until we buy a house in FL. We're just happy our son and DIL will enjoy our contracts (and theirs) as a legacy long after we are gone!

Keep the stories coming - I love each one of them!

We bought in our mid 20s with two very young toddlers in 1994. We had no business buying something so extravagant. Southwest came along with their $29 fares and we started twice a year trips. I divorced and was was awarded all the payments and the use of my 350 OKW points.

Some years, we skippped as the children got older. Disney lost some of its allure and magic for us. And then we started inviting friends- some with young children. Also, the first grandchild was born. On our last trip, DH and I, worked easily from OKW and I was bitten by the addonitis bug and bought 4 resale contracts OKW(E) bringing my total number of points (eventually, when they FINALLY close and post) to over 1,000 points.

I intend to spend Jauaury there. Sadly, my DD is not interested in letting us take her, DSIL and precious DGS to Disney. "He's too young" is the constant refrain. She doesn't recall she went at 15 months and brought us so much joy and had the time of her life. So we travel with friends. I can't wait for my points to load. Disney really hates resale and makes it as difficult and anxiety ridden as possible. I wish they'd just 'outlaw' it vs. the passive aggressive nature of it now.

So in the end, it is like a mini retirement space for someday in the future but not the reunions for my children and grandchildren I envisioned so many years ago.

Last edited:
We had been traveling to WDW a couple of times a year back in the 90's when we started thinking of DVC. We bought our first contract in 2000 at the then VWL and then started adding resale contracts at OKW. We then came up with the idea of the two of us staying at OKW in a 2 bedroom unit for the month of January as the kids moved out and had enough points to do so by 2002. Fast forward to the real estate bubble popping late 2008 and we watched as really nice homes in Central Florida were selling for cheap. Mid 2010 we sprang and snapped up a nice retirement home about 25 miles south of WDW. Granted, I did not retire till 2014 but could not pass up the cost. Got a nice 3 bedroom home in a gated community, Solivita. That's when we started selling off our DVC contracts. At this point we only have one OKW contract now that we use for HH DVC, Vero Beach and WDW short stays when we want to get away or the grandchild comes. We'll probably pass off that OKW contract to our daughter who is a big time Disney fan (She worked two WDW College programs).

We started visiting WDW in 1996 for an annual IBM Conference. While our conference travel and attendance was initially paid by our employer ... things quickly changed. By 2004 DVC was looking pretty attractive and we purchased to gain some control over escalating costs: our room was set.

2015 was the final year for the conference at WDW. Our DVC now has no clear purpose. We are using it for personal play ... but have downsizing on our minds.

We started visiting WDW in 1996 for an annual IBM Conference. While our conference travel and attendance was initially paid by our employer ... things quickly changed. By 2004 DVC was looking pretty attractive and we purchased to gain some control over escalating costs: our room was set.

2015 was the final year for the conference at WDW. Our DVC now has no clear purpose. We are using it for personal play ... but have downsizing on our minds.
LOL....ahhhh yes Lotusphere. Former IBMer.

We own 1200 points at HHI. We will be 88 and 91 when they expire. Our kids will be 57 and 54.....they may buy other newer DVC between now and then or just let it go upon expiration. Not our problem!

Meanwhile, retired, we spend several weeks each winter in Florida (VB or WDW). We are not big on the parks so not picky where we stay as long as it is one BR. Also occasional whole family stays (3 BR) at HHI, WDW or cruises.

We bought in 2008. At the time, we only had one child, whom we had taken to WDW in 2007. I’ve loved Disney since I went in 1981. DJ’s first visit was when we took dd.

Anyway, that first trip went well and we started chatting about dvc. We bought 200 AK points over the phone from Canada. A month later we had our first stay at SSR.

Since then we’ve added on direct and through resale (heavily weighted to resale). Most of our purchased occurred at the bottom of the resale market when our dollar was at or above par.

All our kids 17, 12 and 12 still love Disney. We spend 30-40 nights a year on site most years. We’ve brought friends, which I love doing. Next big trip is for my fiftieth in October 2022. We will be bringing all my friends and plan to stay at SSR in. GV and assorted studios. Also planning a private party at Splitsville. So excited.

In the future, I hope to spend part of the winter down there with dh. The kids will probably start going on their own and with friends. I think they will want it in the future. I’ll be 85 when the contracts end. Hope to use it right to the end.

I love the resorts. The parks are great, but the price of APs is crazy now. We usually alternate AP years, but our park time might get less and less over time.

Our first "real adult vacation" when we got jobs out of college was to WDW, just the two of us, almost 25 years ago. Last September our son left home to go to college 6 hours away; our daughter is married at college 3 hours away. DW had the idea to "bookend" our time as parents by going back to WDW for our first vacation as empty nesters; we had been about 6-8 times to Disney properties since but never just the two of us. I was a little leery, even though I love Disney; I worried it wouldn't be as fun without the kids. Was I wrong!

She had been after me for many years to look into DVC and I never would, but after that trip (where we stayed at Contemporary for the first time and fell in love with the location) I was interested. Not only could we imagine going alone now, but we could potentially take our adult kids (who still love Disney) and our grandkids someday, right? So we bought points at BLT, and then used them for the first time on a trip to Aulani earlier this year; our first trip "home" comes later this year!

After reading all this, I know we can only imagine how we'll end up using these points; I guess I'll have to come back and update this in a couple of decades. I wonder if it'll stay on the watch list that long?

My long term plan, like most, was to keep DVC for the life of the contract. I was huge on that, insisting I would never sell.
Then came life. A looming job loos, plus all the cutbacks… We opted to sell. 21 contracts, many small point all purchased direct.
We owned at VB and loved the area so much that we had a house built in Sebastian (9 minutes from the VB resort).
We are happy we sold. We did not leave Disney, but Disney left us.
Old timers know what I mean.

We are still local, and do visit. We even stay on property.
I wish it is like it once was, and I’m not talking about perks.

My long term plan, like most, was to keep DVC for the life of the contract. I was huge on that, insisting I would never sell.
Then came life. A looming job loos, plus all the cutbacks… We opted to sell. 21 contracts, many small point all purchased direct.
We owned at VB and loved the area so much that we had a house built in Sebastian (9 minutes from the VB resort).
We are happy we sold. We did not leave Disney, but Disney left us.
Old timers know what I mean.

We are still local, and do visit. We even stay on property.
I wish it is like it once was, and I’m not talking about perks.

Looks like selling has worked out for you!

There are lots of things that I miss and wish were still the same. Some small things like the cookie ice cream sandwich from Main Street Bakery. Even if Starbucks had it, or any other shop for that matter, it wouldn't be the same because my memory is tied to MSB and coming out and finding a bench right next to it on Main Street - imagine that - to eat them with the kids before the melting.

And, I used to go to Comedy Warehouse and loved all the performers there. Occasionally I will see 1 or 2 in costume in MK or HS. Miss that experience a lot.
Also would go to the other club, the one you seem to favor - Kungaloosh - my old mind won't give me the name right now, but it was a lot of fun!

I rebel against having to plan dining and rides and now actual days in the parks. Yes, I would book restaurants but it had gotten to be a job instead of a pleasure, so I just quit. Substituted going to the bar at 'Ohana and ordering bread pudding, lol, or staying at Poly and having the Twilight feast delivered to our room.

I've continued to do walkups at restaurants and been semi successful as a single. Well not since Feb 2020. We'll see how that goes this winter coming up. With family, I have to book something.

And, I get to see Disney through new eyes. Back in Feb 2020, I was able to school my 14 year old grand nephew on how to do the new attraction at HS. He had no knowledge of it, not being a regular Disney visitor. When they arrived and went to the park they got an early boarding group and were in awe of this ride and had a wonderful time in HS.

Plus my little grand children are coming up and will love what is offered now.

I like to reminisce, but not to live in the past or make regrets dominate what time I have left. My DVC still has a bit over 20 years and I'm 68. I intend to enjoy the new and remember the past. But, I'll still be watchful of what the mouse gets out of my pocket.

Take care and enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter