what is training like?

mickey'sbud

DIS Veteran
Can someone explain what the training is like? (for all jobs. I know that is broad but...can you give me an idea of what to expect?)
Do you go to training classes?
Do you take e-training classes and have to pass tests?
Do you do on the job training?
Someone mentioned "proficiencies." What is that? How does that work?
Thanks

Just bumping this, I'd like to know too.

I have heard for attractions you have 2-3 weeks of training, get to (er...have to ;)) ride the ride multiple times a day, and have lots of fun.

I have heard for hospitality you train for quite some time in mock situations before you actually get to be at the hotel's front desk.

That's all I really know...:confused3

Training for all roles is approximately 1.5 - 2 weeks. To be a lifeguard you're obviously also going for certification so that may take a little bit longer (I couldn't tell you exactly how long because I wasn't a lifeguard nor did I discuss training with my lifeguard friends). However, for Merch., Attr., and roles such as that it's gonna be about a week and a half to two weeks.

Your training starts off with an orientation session (Traditions) that lasts for about 4 hours. It's the class in which you learn the basic elements to being a cast member (the background, the history, and the disney point lol). Then, you will go through another orientation day and this is going to be at your work location (MK, DHS, DAK, etc.) You will go through and learn about the park you will be working in. For me, it was the Magic Kingdom.

Once you go through your orientations, you will begin your on-job training which will be specifically at your work location. For me, this was Big Thunder Mt. You will spend about a week with your trainers here. This training will consist of learning your rotation and what you will be doing exactly. It will also consist of computer work, getting your certification all squared away, and getting adjusted on The Hub. There is a lot of computer work depending on what you will be doing. As an attractions CM, I had a lot of simulations I had to take on the computer (which involved tests at the end that I needed to pass).

You will need to pass an assessment at the end of your training which will determine whether or not you are qualified to work. If you fail the assessment, you will just need more time in training. If you pass, you are bumped into rotation right away.

Proficiencies are what you have that allow you to work. They are basically the green light that say you are okay to be working there - that you are trained and qualified. If you pass your assessment, you are proficient at that location and will be allowed to work there. Depending on your status, you need to work so many hours in a given period of time in order to hold on to your proficiencies. For example, as a seasonal cast member, you will need to work so many hours in a year in order to keep your proficiencies as a seasonal cast member as well as a cast member at that work location. Make sense?

This is just the basic idea of training, if you want more specific details let me know!

All i really know is about training for hospitality.

First off, everyone does Traditions. Everyone.

after that the hospitality training included:

Resort Orientation- Mine was called "welcome home". It was a... 4 hour class? or 8 hours? I can't remember.

First Impressions- at Disney University where we learned most everything we will need to know. It was 7 days and 8 hours each day. We had practice on mock desks and practiced checking in other hospitality Cps that were training with us.

On The Job training- 7 days 8 1/2 hours each day. It was held at the resort(s) you were working at. one on one with a trainer right behind you. My trainer did the first check in and then I ran the show from there on out and she was right behind me for 7 days if i had any questions.

It wasn't that bad. It was actually pretty fun learning how everything was done. They only scheduled me 5 days a week though so when all was said and done, i wasn't officially on my own until about a month after I checked in to the CP.

All i really know is about training for hospitality.

First off, everyone does Traditions. Everyone.

after that the hospitality training included:

Resort Orientation- Mine was called "welcome home". It was a... 4 hour class? or 8 hours? I can't remember.

First Impressions- at Disney University where we learned most everything we will need to know. It was 7 days and 8 hours each day. We had practice on mock desks and practiced checking in other hospitality Cps that were training with us.

On The Job training- 7 days 8 1/2 hours each day. It was held at the resort(s) you were working at. one on one with a trainer right behind you. My trainer did the first check in and then I ran the show from there on out and she was right behind me for 7 days if i had any questions.

It wasn't that bad. It was actually pretty fun learning how everything was done. They only scheduled me 5 days a week though so when all was said and done, i wasn't officially on my own until about a month after I checked in to the CP.

I would pretend to be a difficult guest, just for fun :lmao::lmao::lmao:

I would pretend to be a difficult guest, just for fun :lmao::lmao::lmao:

you get your fair share of guests that know what they want in real life:goodvibes. I loved our guests! DVC guests are the best. It helped a lot that they obviously knew a lot about how disney parks/resorts work!

Unfortunately, all the practicing was scripted. They had flash card type of things we had to follow. haha. But that would have been interesting if we were able to act how ever we wanted!

It sounds like they put a lot of focus on training, which is great. I know some places will just throw you to the wolves on your first day.

I have first-hand experience with that kind of training! lol That's pretty much what happens at Cedar Point if you check in after opening day. You process in (paperwork, all that kinda good stuff) and then watch some basic training videos (if you've never seen these IAAPA videos they are hilarious!), fill out more training paperwork (names of supervisors, phone numbers, etc.), and then you may or may not be done for the day. In my case I was, went back to housing (I cheated the system a bit and checked into housing the night before because I knew what to do) and looked over my manuals and chilled in the room. Head in early the next morning for basic location training and boom, there you are, pick it up and run. Its even crazier if you're moved during the day. Last summer I found out what it was like to be on the trainer end when people get moved during the day, being the ATL (Asst. Team Leader). I ended up training three or four different people on my triangle of rides in one day! I was ready to pull my hair out, to say the least. lol

I'm very much looking forward to the more spread out approach to training at Disney. :)

I used to do the new employee trainings at a retail store, and we literally gave them one day of training before we tossed them out onto the sales floor on their own. It was so bad. And the managers wondered why our customer service was so inconsistent.

I agree that it's great that Disney gives so much training. It makes starting a new job a lot less intimidating if you get a bit of hand holding.

It sounds like they put a lot of focus on training, which is great. I know some places will just throw you to the wolves on your first day.

Like Six Flags? lol When I worked for Six Flags we had an hour of training. That was it - I did attractions at Six Flags as well. Another reason why I love Disney haha.

The training at Disney definitely prepares you. It's really detailed and extensive.

What is merchandise training like?

and what are the names of the day trainings like at AK its DAKlimation? What is it for MK, EPCOT and DHS?

EPCOTs is boring. Discovery Day. That is so generic it could be for anything!! lol I'm not sure of the others though.
Have a Magical Day!!!
Goofster18

EPCOTs is boring. Discovery Day. That is so generic it could be for anything!! lol I'm not sure of the others though.
Have a Magical Day!!!
Goofster18

I only know the names of the orientations for three of the parks

DAK: DAKlimations
EPCOT: Discovery Day
Magic Kingdom: Once Upon a Time is Now
DHS: (I don't know what it is)

I have done DAKlimations and Discovery Day. I enjoyed both of them, but DAKlimations involved more walking and touring since DAK is huge.

I have only done Attractions training so I can give you the run down of that a bit...
First you have a one day orientation at the park you're working at.
Then, you have on the job training. My attractions training lasted 5-6 days. Then on the next day after my training ended, I had my assessment which is both written and actual operation of the ride and performance of your role.
After that, you remove your "Earning Your Ears" and start working a regular schedule.
My schedule was usually opening shifts during training (for Everest it was like 7am-3pm, at Test Track it was 6am-2 or 3pm). You miss training once your finished though because despite having an early shift, you get the rest of the day!
Your fellow cast members are there to back you up and help you while you work if an issue arises or you have a question about how something is done.
Training consists of reading the OG (operating guide), online learning, doing ride-throughs, and walking the ride path and learning the consoles. I enjoyed training because you get to learn ALOT.

Disney almost has to be that extensive. I've talked to numerous people, friends, family members, friends of family, and believe it or not random people in the grocery store ( i was stopped b/c i was wearing a disney shirt and the mom and son had just returned from vacation)... and they ALL have mentioned the main reason they go to disney for vaca is because they know the cast members will make their experience a magical one.

People basically expect perfection from disney cast members and if they (Disney) didn't train the cast members with fine detail, the cast members wouldn't be confident enough with themselves and they wouldn't be able to play that part and create that magic!

When I first discovered i had almost a month of training, I was surprised at first... but so very grateful on my first day out by myself because i was very confident that I could handle any guest situation since I got to experience them all in training, :goodvibes

My roomie did it like 6 months ago and he believes it is along the lines of "Let the Show Begin" or something like that at DHS. It is definitely a show theme (I know, obvious) and basically that sort of idea.......Figured I'd throw that out maybe it would trigger someone's memory???
Have a Magical Day!!!
Goofster18
P.S. when I have time I can post about the attendant training, it was a week long intensive training program!!! Lots of work at all 4 parks.

DHS's tour/training thing is called On with the Show.

I was in attractions and after Traditions and OwtS I had 1 week of training at my location.

I'm sure everyone has already said it depends on your role. Some of my roommates had only a few days of training and the regular weeks or so of "earning your ears", but my core training lasted a week, everyday from early to late.

I had 5 days of training, and then I was out on my own as a character attendant. As others have said, your first day of actually being a cast member is spent at Traditions. I got the next day off, and then had orientation at Epcot. I also got the rest of that day off and the following day off as well. Then I began my 5 days of training. Throughout those days, we did computer work, actually went out to the parks and attended characters ourselves, and practiced scenarios in classrooms. On the last day, we "graduated" and became character attendants, and we were trusted to go out the next day and know what we were doing. I was EXTREMELY nervous, but my captain and managers that day knew I was new and helped me out a lot. The job came to me over time, I wish I had felt more confident at first, but now it's usually a breeze!

Just a heads up for anyone else who may be wanting to share their experiences.

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Entertainment has a very strict confidentiality policy regarding their Training Procedures. This, among other things, helps to preserve the magic of Disney for our Guests. This is on top of the legally-enforecable confidentiality agreement that all Cast Memebrs sign upon their hiring.

Just be careful in what you say.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter